JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I NEVER give them money on the streets. There are many services available to the poor and the homeless. Portland spends million of dollars on the homeless and the destitute. Give the 'panhandlers' a listing of the services available to them.

This is what I was trying to explain to my 6 year old grandson one day. What we did do while shopping for a LEGO Stormtrooper, (at Target) is pay for a lady and her young daughters' grapes because they didn't have enough money to pay for them.

My point was that giving them money was NOT in their best interest. I do not know their past or situations, but do not want to fund drugs or alcohol. If they're hungry or cold, fine, I can deal with that but never do I give money. I too hate the mess their 'camps' leave behind but the city will have to deal with/outlaw their camping laws to fix that.

I have given thousands to my ex-wife, and all it did was make her worse. I could give her a million dollars that would last me the rest of my life, for her, she would be lucky if it lasted her six months - at best she would probably wind up either in the hospital or jail, at worst she would be dead before she spent it all.

We (my family and I) stopped giving her money and stopped "helping" her - it never really did her any good, and often all we got in return was a bunch of grief from her (e.g., phone calls at 2 AM in the morning about her latest drama and begging for more money).

Wifey, kudos...

If some takes advantage, shame on them...you've done the right thing towards another citizen.

That stated, I purchase the mcdonald's gift cards in $5 denomination and provide them to those homeless individuals.

Again, kudos wifey for doing what is the civilized thing to do.

I appreciate the kudos. Funny/sad thing is normally my approach would have been just to "get 'em out" but for some reason I just thought a kinder approach would be the right thing to do. Oh well!

Yesterday when I got to work I was sitting out in the smoking area before starting and there was a man sitting on the ground with his dog and cart full of belongings. He had food, some milk and then rolled himself a smoke. He was carrying on a conversation with his dog, I suppose.

I was "this close" to asking what his plight was; what brought him to the point he was at now. He wasn't talking crazy nuts or anything - very coherent and sensible. I'm somewhat sorry I didn't have some kind of discussion with him but after the earlier incident I didn't want the sour again (that soon?).

Unfortunately we have a number of "canners" at our location that are homeless/less fortunate, but I'll tell you what, the most of them are really great guys. I'm thankful for that!

Wifey

It's funny how they always seem to have money for cigarettes

I've always, and still am, a frugal bastige. Way back, when Doral's went to $1.70 a pack I wasn't going to pay it! I started rolling my own. I quit that back in '07 when a bag of Top menthol was $1.99.....Geeze, it's like $7.00 now! BUT, pipe tobacky still isn't taxed like that and you can buy 1/2 pound, I think, for real cheap. I don't know how these guys can swaste perfectly good beer money on over priced cigarettes.

I've always, and still am, a frugal bastige. Way back, when Doral's went to $1.70 a pack I wasn't going to pay it! I started rolling my own. I quit that back in '07 when a bag of Top menthol was $1.99.....Geeze, it's like $7.00 now! BUT, pipe tobacky still isn't taxed like that and you can buy 1/2 pound, I think, for real cheap. I don't know how these guys can swaste perfectly good beer money on over priced cigarettes.
I'd like to buy you a sammich someday;)

I just saw on the news their telling all the beach goers to pack out their garbage when they leave. I suppose if you told the homeless to do the same that would be profiling:rolleyes: At least the beach goers pay taxes and dont leave 3 hundred thousand dollar mess to clean.

Good for you for trying.

I also have had similar experiences when trying to do something nice. Unfortunately it makes people not want to be generous to others.

I began working at a video store when I was 14 years old. I watched for weeks, the same guy would show up to the corner and sit there with his sign. He came is the store occasionally and asked if we had a hose for him to get a drink, we didn't but I would buy him a bottle of water. Until one day when I was out side about the time it was getting dark. I saw this guy walk through the parking lot, to a less than 5 yr old Caddilac. Pulled the keys out of his pocket and unlocked it. Took of his dirty jacket and put it in the trunk and drove away. I later found out that he lived in a nearby house. Eventually the local news did a story on him which exposed him.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top