JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spitpatch is right. Study the rabbit. Fight or flight is in each of us. A rabbit when cornered will tear you to pieces. Noone not even a police officer knows how they will react until it happens. Dont watch the movies. Law enforcement always carries a round in the chamber and safety (if needed) off. I havent been issued a pistol with a safety in 20 years. Also study major and minor muscles. When the stuff goes down, all your minor muscles stop working;therefore you may forget to take off the safety. If you have to chamber a round and I am within 21 feet, you are dead. I carried a revolver for backup and a mini 22 in my pocket. Study verbal judo, as my mentor said, you should be able to arrest most people and they will thank you. For the 1% out there, there is nothing you can do but fire. when you face them, it is you or them, " he who hesitates is lost". Aim center mass not like the stupid movies, if you fire 6 times and 4 rounds hit the people behind the bad guy, guess where you will be. There is so much to the mechanics of a shooting that I cannot go into here. Just remember you are a private citizen in fear of his life and you were trying to STOP the action by the subject not kill him. Lots to think about. I now sell guns for a living (part time) and I try to impart some wisdom into people buying guns, most just say I know what I would do, I would shoot the person. Well they already have one foot in the grave, because they are full of stuff. Nobody knows until you have faced the Elephant.

Oh yeah, as far as band of brothers, that was a 1930's pistol and he did the one thing you never do. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER IN THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE. Modern weapons are harder to shoot. But of course there is always the Glock Leg.;)

Absent putting yourself in harms way by profession, the next most useful environment to test your mindset, your skills and your tactics and to learn how you might react and whether your actions would be reasonable and justified under the law is to find a credible training organization which offers either force-on-force or video simulation training. That's how you'll find out how well you might survive an actual confrontation with no more risk than being struck with projectiles that leave a painful welt, or subjecting yourself to praise or embarassment in the critique of your performance possibly in front of fellow classmates by the instructor(s). Credible training organzations will have instructors who have had direct experience with deadly force confrontations and be able to give you their input about your shortcomings, if any; your observation of the perfromance of classmates will also be useful. You should avoid venues that do not preface this type of training with a briefing on justifiable use of deadly force, are undirected force-on-force simulations that default to shoot as fast as you can, as much as you can until the game is over or you expend all your ammo free for alls or, are video "gun games".

What many of you are referring to is known as the "Combat Triad".

<broken link removed>

The rest of you are just speaking out of your backside. There is no nice way of saying it. If you carry a firearm you need to know how to use it, how it functions and how to take someone's life to protect yourself or others from imminent serious bodily harm or death. You can justify your laziness any way you want...claim the 2nd Amendment gives you the right to carry or claim that nobody can force you to purchase formal training. That doesn't negate the need for training, its just a cop-out to avoid doing it.

Look, the dmv issues out driver's licenses...does that make you qualified to effectively drive in adverse weather? No. People who think that it does are fools. People who avoid driving in the weather are smarter, but you cannot predict where you will be and what you will be doing forever. You owe it to you and your's to practice and to be competent in your abilities. We all hate stupid drivers on the road...just like I hate stupid gun owners. But before you hate on me, note that I offer free training to those that are willing. I've got another range planned in January if anyone is near the Franklin County area in WA. Hit me a PM if you are interested.

I love to give training. FREE. I am not a certified instructor but was a range officer. I have been through a "few" other courses that wont be mentioned on line. I have taught a couple of women recently and enjoyed seeing their improvement. I agree with riot in that there is no substitute for trainig. I am in Whatcom County. There is a gun store here that teaches this stuff. I went in there and asked the instructor what experience he had and he said none, but he is a teacher. I left never to return. I cant do a combat course or videos but I can teach you some basics. PM me if interested. I can provide references and if you are a woman I will meet you at the range. I did train people in several other areas and was considered a (SME) subject matter expert. Bring your own ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top