JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice adjustment, given today's uncertain times ;)

I learned handguns on a very old WW1 38 with dad but always shoot 1911s now. I've had lots of Sigs, Glocks and revolvers over the years too, and whenever I feel particularly cockey about how "great" I am throwing FMJ at paper bad guys, I get out a revolver.

Shooting DA with a revolver makes you focus your defensive training in a different way, and I think DA training makes you a better close in shooter.

Plus they're steel, and better, and DA is humbling :D

Yup, I rock the Revolvers a lot more now, nothing at all wrong with a good tuned wheel gun! When I'm feeling extra spicy, I carry my Ruger Old Army stoked with 45 gr. swiss and 220 gr hard cast. when I wanna be classy, I carry my Python, and when i'm actually serious, I carry my Dan Wesson .44! For showin off, the Meteba .454! :cool:

Last Edited:
Learn to shoot double action. Only.
And carry lead semi-wadcutters, NOT hardball.. to make any HP go fast enough to expand would shorten the gun's lifespan to approximately five rounds.
GOOD information on HP ammo.

50 years ago.

Been getting decent feedback on .357 125 gr HP's for a few years now. :s0001:

I like shooting revolvers because I hate picking up and hunting for brass.
Don't get me wrong, I've carried a 1911 for years and have complete faith in mine. I believe it makes a better concealed carry gun than a revolver because it's flat and comfortable to carry IWB. I can hide a Commander sized 1911 easily.
But a little J-Frame 357 is so light it doesn't tug on my belt at all. Yeah, it's a bit of a stinger with full house loads, but if I need it, I doubt I'll notice. My grandson shoots it with 38 Specials and loves it.

I've been doing quite a bit of research as far SD ammo choice for .45acp coming out of a 2.5" barrel. Out of the common loadings and projectiles available my main concern is expansion.

Other than velocities with various loads I haven't found any definite data other than velocities out of various barrel lengths:

1DF50506-668E-4EA9-90BC-73F9E966771F.jpeg
The highlighted line replicates the 2.5" barrel from a gun with the same length barrel.

With that said I've ordered some 200gr LSWC.I also have 230gr XTP but fear regardless of powder charge the short barrel won't generate enough velocity to make the HP expand.

My next step is to work up some loads in various charges, chrono, and shoot them into homemade ballistics gelatin. Do any of you wheelgun guys have thoughts, opinion, or data?

Last Edited:
I would spend less time thinking about expansion, more time practicing, and more time practicing while moving. Hits are more important than expansion.
Former neighbor of mine, who would go through a 2 gallon pail of 45acp in a month, was always concerned about expansion and would "pre-split" his 45 HP ammo. Not a good idea....

I guess we're all going to roll over when we are made criminals by a rabid legislature, hell bent on stripping us of our rights in the name of "safety"?

I would spend less time thinking about expansion, more time practicing, and more time practicing while moving. Hits are more important than expansion.
Former neighbor of mine, who would go through a 2 gallon pail of 45acp in a month, was always concerned about expansion and would "pre-split" his 45 HP ammo. Not a good idea....

I guess we're all going to roll over when we are made criminals by a rabid legislature, hell bent on stripping us of our rights in the name of "safety"?

My pursuit of expansion is inspired by the self-induced hobbling of carrying a gun with 5 rounds instead of my (or in addition to) my double stack with 14+1. I'm more concerned with the largest temporary wound cavity, penetration, and the subsequent rapid exsanguination.

I do enjoy shooting movers as well as shooting on the move. I am excited about the prospect of doing it with a 12lbs DA trigger.

Also why not hits as well as expansion? We can do both at the same time.The time required to work up a load pales in comparison to the amount of time I'll spend shooting the same load after it's figured. This isn't an either/ or.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads