JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Odds are he will get married to a prison butt buddy because homosexual marriage is now legal. 12 people dead and 70 wounded should have got him killed by the state but for some reason they want the tax payers to take care of him for 50 years. Must be they need to fill some prison beds or the system will go broke.

I waffle back and forth on the death penalty. I've seen too many exonerated and set free after decades on death row to be a big supporter.

This conversation always boils down to the same conclusion for me:

Encourage as many able bodied people who are of sound mind and good judgment as possible to obtain a firearm, train with it, and carry it as frequently as possible.

Being that it is a jury, and the death penalty has to be unanimous, I understand why it went that way.
And I get that due process has to happen. To me, this was cut and dry. Death penalty. If he was insane, or mentally unstable I understand that is an out for mass murderers. It should not be. The rules are the rules. We all should live by them.

I guess I understand that, after caught, the law needs to decide what to do. But there should have been only two questions.
1. Did he commit the crime?
2. Did some other person force him to do it?

If the answers were: Yes. No. Then death penalty. Period.

And for any that think a firing squad is "cruel and unusual" I would have to respectfully disagree. I also brought up hanging. That one probably fits "cruel and unusual", so I should retract that.

Lots of people say "I wouldn't want to live 50 years in prison", in a sense of trying to put themselves in the shoes of the killers. The majority of people are not bad and would never make a choice to murder 12 and shoot 70 so there is no way you can put yourself in the criminals shoes. The criminal has left society and murdered as he left, by all rights he should be put to death because he can never return to society.

You can't rehabilitate a murderer that has killed so many and it's fools that keep him alive to maybe kill more people. People still get murdered in prison and we shouldn't allow the guards to be targets for murder.

Life with no parole is a death sentence, only without all the lawyers and appeals and notoriety. He will die someday and be judged by a Higher Power who can mete out justice far better than we as a society will ever be able to.

What you guys are going to see is the criminals getting married in prison and starting up their own little love nest. The progressives will push for it really hard saying " just because he murdered 12 and shot 70 doesn't mean he shouldn't have love". Thus they will reward the behavior and you will see it more.

It doesn't really matter because capital punishment is broken in America. It's actually in our best interest economically to put prisoners in life in prison versus the death penalty. You're simply allowed to exhaust a laundry list of appeals which extends the execution process. Each appeal can take years and years to adjudicate. The average cost of housing a death row inmate is 20x the cost versus a life in prison inmate. In Oregon we have 33 death row inmates and they cost about 1 million dollars EACH a year to house. The only death row inmate that was executed of recent was one who actually gave up their right to an appeal and died basically by their own choice. The annual cost of housing a federal inmate is around $60,000 (Almost 33 percent higher than what the average american family earns). In fact this is why other countries have chosen instead to put violators of laws into education and mental health reform programs versus prison because prison is just crime education.

Capital punishment does not deter people from murder. Especially when I suspect and believe that a large portion of non criminal violence is primarily caused by mental illness. I also believe there is a pandemic in America with regards to prescription anti depressant drug use and these random mass shootings.

"Capital punishment does not deter people from murder."

Really? How could that silly "old wives tale" even be proven or quantified...
...did some fuzzyheaded academics ask convicted murderers whether they would have done it if there was a guaranteed death penalty?... Did they also ask if a life in prison, with every need taken care of, full medical, access to education, etc. would have prevented their action? Apparently "life" sentences don't either.....
So, if the threat of prison or perdition won't deter some people from murder....

.....I'll go with the one that will absolutely, positively, guarantee NO REPEAT OFFENDERS.

here's a new more provably accurate quote;
"Capital punishment keeps convicted murderers from murdering again."

Note: We're talking about the worst of the worst here. The first degree cases. The cold blooded,carefully planned in advance and carried-out murder of one or many, to achieve some personal objective. We're not talking about some schmuck with bad luck or a lapse in judgment.

Perhaps it would be easier if we referred to "convicted mass murderer" by some new, less "judgmental" term. You know, like in the way "disabled" became "differently abled"....Something that makes it much easier for the more modern, sensitive, caring, citizen of the new improved America....maybe softening our language or changing a words meaning...
...Maybe Jurors would be more willing to finish their job if we called him "fetus", and "retroactively aborted" these creeps.
It could be a specialized department at planned parenthood ... now that is going too far.

. . . Capital punishment does not deter people from murder. Especially when I suspect and believe that a large portion of non criminal violence is primarily caused by mental illness. I also believe there is a pandemic in America with regards to prescription anti depressant drug use and these random mass shootings.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I doubt this is a fact. Even if if was: Who cares. The goal of capital punishment should not be to keep other people from murdering. It should be to keep that person from murdering again and not sucking the tax dollars out of the rest of us. And I already gave my opinion on the mental illness. They play by the same rules. Premeditated Mass Murder should equal capital punishment.

It is proven that this man did this, he acted alone, and it was premeditated, heck he had bombs planted at his apartment to kill whomever entered, possibly (or probably) law enforcement. Once that was proven, he should have like 90 days to appeal, then firing squad. After the conviction what would that cost the tax payer:
Room & board in jail for 3 month = $9000
Public defender = $500
Judge to hear appeal = $500
a box of .308 = $20

Then we would never see his smirking face again. :eek:

"NEXT..."

What I would like to see and never will happen thanks to labor laws is lifers and 25-life become property of the state and work to pay for their expenses in prison I think the same should be done with county lock ups. Put people to work, ya I know there are bleeding hearts that will say its unfair. My view why should tax payers pay for your mistake?

Padded room and having to listen to Miley Cyrus "Wrecking Ball" for the next 50 years through headphones in a sound deadening room.

No escape, no escape.

I personally think a public stoning by the relatives of the victims would be an appropriate sentence ( and NO I don't mean smoking a bowl) This jazz hole showed NO regard for anyone in that theater so why in the hell should society show ANY for him! Rabid dogs are killed, He deserves no less!.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I doubt this is a fact. Even if if was: Who cares. The goal of capital punishment should not be to keep other people from murdering. It should be to keep that person from murdering again and not sucking the tax dollars out of the rest of us. And I already gave my opinion on the mental illness. They play by the same rules. Premeditated Mass Murder should equal capital punishment.

It is proven that this man did this, he acted alone, and it was premeditated, heck he had bombs planted at his apartment to kill whomever entered, possibly (or probably) law enforcement. Once that was proven, he should have like 90 days to appeal, then firing squad. After the conviction what would that cost the tax payer:
Public defender = $500
a box of .308 = $20

"NEXT..."
That would be nice but is not the reality. Death row is typically 10-15 years at great cost to society.

Public defender = $500
a box of .308 = $20

"NEXT..."

Tell that to the billion dollar for profit prison system created by both the Republicans and the Democrats. It was Reagan and Bush's war on drugs that expanded the number of people incarcerated and it was Joe Biden and Bill Clinton that expanded the prison budgets. Actually if you own Vanguard or Fidelity 401k plans (the two largest 401 k plans in America) they own about 20 percent of GEO and CCA the two largest for profit prison corporations in America.

And no capital punishment does not deter people from committing murder. It obviously prevents further murders but so does life in prison. Statistically speaking the cost of death row inmates who are executed 15-20 years later far outweighs the cost of keeping someone in life in prison. I don't really see a difference as to me those individuals are disposed from society forever. I see cost savings for the tax payer. Unless you have some genius plans to stop the billion dollar prison industrial complex lobbyists who give millions of dollars to both political parties to keep the system running like this.

As the system exists now. A death row inmate who is executed in 20 years ends up costing us around 20-30 million versus a life in prison inmate who lives 50 more years at a cost of 5 million. I'd rather we save the tax payers 15-25 million dollars.

You all can talk like cowboys that we should string em up or stone them to death but really you're just advocating that Americans abandon the common basic morality that distinguishes us from Dictators and Terrorists organizations. Sinking to that level is below us.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads