JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is timing in the whole life of the warrior, in his thriving and declining, in his harmony and discord. Similarly, there is timing in the Way of the merchant, in the rise and fall of capital. All things entail rising and falling timing. You must be able to discern this.
Miyamoto Musashi (The Book of Five Rings - The Earth Book, 1645)

These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Miyamoto Musashi (The Book of Five Rings, 1645)

Forefathersback, you are welcome.
I had to look for a photo of Mr William's truck, but there wasn't any reference to him.
He left behind a real nice family.
Never learned the name of the co-worker. They worked for Western Electric Co.

Rick, rodger on Andre Norton and Heinline! Ever read "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank?
Yes, Alas Babylon is an un-forgettable read.
"One Second After" by William Forstchen is just as good a read and reference

I buy small quantities of ammo when available. I have at least 1000 rounds for every caliber I own. I keep a 2000 watt generator on hand with fresh gas for at least 48 hours. I have three solar panels on my roof with 4 six volt batteries and a 2000 watt pure-sine inverter.
Food and water notwithstanding.

I am NOT a "prepper". I am a smart American.

There is timing in the whole life of the warrior, in his thriving and declining, in his harmony and discord. Similarly, there is timing in the Way of the merchant, in the rise and fall of capital. All things entail rising and falling timing. You must be able to discern this.
Miyamoto Musashi (The Book of Five Rings - The Earth Book, 1645)

These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Miyamoto Musashi (The Book of Five Rings, 1645)
Miyamoto, I have read The Book Of Five Rings. Miyamoto was definitely a prepper, just of a different kind. An incredible warrior. Strategy is probably the most important part of prepping.

Mormons have a perception of being pushovers in this country. It's how they've survived as a major subculture despite being hated about as bad as Jews and blacks at times in our history. But I'm willing to bet that if push truly came to shove, and the need to maintain that veil of cordiality and humility vanished, 200 years of religious oppression, hostile ridicule, and snarky jokes would shove back pretty damn hard.
My first exposure to 'Mormons' was not a cause of fear or dread or fear of hell or anything like that.
I'm no Mormon, I'm just me, a sinner that will likely stay that way for a very long time, I was a young kid w/ 30 days leave, a 4X4 a 308 and 300 rounds of 110 grn HPs
How I ended up in Utah, a state famous for it's blond, blue eyed,,,Libarians

Different story
and while we are at it please explain to me why I am hearing the dulcet tones of Hawaiian ukulele guitars when I think of 'young Mormon ladies'

Last Edited:
My first exposure to 'Mormons' was not a cause of fear or dread or fear of hell or anything like that.
I'm no Mormon, I'm just me, a sinner that will likely stay that way for a very long time, I was a young kid w/ 30 days leave, a 4X4 a 308 and 300 rounds of 110 grn HPs

Different story
and while we are at it please explain to me why I am hearing the dulcet tones of Hawaiian ukulele guitars when I think of 'young Mormon ladies'

You know why there are so many mormons right?

Different story
erudne, back in the day being a young man, with 30 days leave, are you sure you were in Utah? You could have ended up in the south. That ukulele that you mentioned could have actually been a banjo, playing "dueling banjos." Lol. No offense intended, but you never know.

update:.....got the job that we bid. It was a great experience. Shared info on food storage etc.....I enjoyed sharing what I know, and more importantly, what the wife knows. ( which is way more than I know) These people had a lot of knowledge to share, that I appreciated.

upload_2014-4-16_11-32-4.png

erudne, back in the day being a young man, with 30 days leave, are you sure you were in Utah? You could have ended up in the south. That ukulele that you mentioned could have actually been a banjo, playing "dueling banjos." Lol. No offense intended, but you never know.
I actually fell in love with the most beautiful Blonde/Blue girl whose family ran a gas station along a State Hwy in Utah on that trip, my romance with her lasted about 3 minutes (in my head) but I have never forgotten her, and there was no music involved!

I'm not a prepper -- yet. But I am working on a bug out bag that would take care of my wife and me for a few days. I'm picking up some great prepping ideas on this thread and through the folks in the black powder club I belong to here in Washington. They not only preppers in the traditional or historical sense, they also enjoy the challenges of canning, creating tools, sewing, and of course, shooting. I learn something new every time I'm out with these men and women. Wish I could remember it all. Ha.

I'm not a prepper -- yet. But I am working on a bug out bag that would take care of my wife and me for a few days. I'm picking up some great prepping ideas on this thread and through the folks in the black powder club I belong to here in Washington. They not only preppers in the traditional or historical sense, they also enjoy the challenges of canning, creating tools, sewing, and of course, shooting. I learn something new every time I'm out with these men and women. Wish I could remember it all. Ha.

Practical experience is always the best teacher, it causes one to break down skill sets into a logical progression of tasks that when executed result in a physical accomplishment such as a shelter, a fire, a meal

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top