JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
4 five gallon buckets w lids
2 twenty five lb sacks rice
2 twenty five lb sacks beans
4 cans spices
4 cans stewed tomatoes
4 cans roast beef
4 one lb chunks dry ice

Boring, but will keep wolf away.
Will store for next to forever

If only everyone on these boards would do this.

I don't stockpile food... I just keep a list of all you guys.

:-D

Anyone remember the thread three or so years ago where a member made the post that he didn't need to prep? He would just head to the Mormons and take their food?? I grew up in a small community just a few miles South of the Mormon World Headquarters! That turned into a funny thread.

I feel like the word "prepper" is becoming more common and slowly losing a lot of it's demeaning representation. Not fast enough though, the more people that do it, the more normal it becomes. I don't care who would call me that, because no one other than my wife and I know. No one should be calling you a prepper, because they shouldn't know in the first place.

I stay skeptical of even saying anything to people that could make them think I prepare for the worst. I won't be able to change anyones opinion. So I just chime in on occasion and leave out any serious details.

Anyone remember the thread three or so years ago where a member made the post that he didn't need to prep? He would just head to the Mormons and take their food?? I grew up in a small community just a few miles South of the Mormon World Headquarters! That turned into a funny thread.

A guy thinking he's going to just walk up to a Mormon stronghold and "take" their food is in for some gene cleansing. I'd guess gun ownership is almost 100% among Mormon families.

Mormons have a perception of being pushovers in this country. It's how they've survived as a major subculture despite being hated about as bad as Jews and blacks at times in our history. But I'm willing to bet that if push truly came to shove, and the need to maintain that veil of cordiality and humility vanished, 200 years of religious oppression, hostile ridicule, and snarky jokes would shove back pretty damn hard.

Mormons have a perception of being pushovers in this country. It's how they've survived as a major subculture despite being hated about as bad as Jews and blacks at times in our history. But I'm willing to bet that if push truly came to shove, and the need to maintain that veil of cordiality and humility vanished, 200 years of religious oppression, hostile ridicule, and snarky jokes would shove back pretty damn hard.

Your last 6 words are very true!! It has already been done.

The Jews have certainly taken some punishment in this country, but nothing as organized or statistical as the Nazi "final solution" or Stalin's purges (both before and after WW2). The Mormons were party to open shooting conflicts in New York and Pennsylvania before they headed west.

Some of my friends growing up were mormon... I first went shooting with them, they make most of the shooters I know look like pikers in terms of gun and ammo collections.

The Jews have certainly taken some punishment in this country, but nothing as organized or statistical as the Nazi "final solution" or Stalin's purges (both before and after WW2). The Mormons were party to open shooting conflicts in New York and Pennsylvania before they headed west.

Some of my friends growing up were mormon... I first went shooting with them, they make most of the shooters I know look like pikers in terms of gun and ammo collections.
I was a Mormon for 42 yrs of my life I am no longer a member. For the record, I have no problem with LDS, or any other religion, or those that choose no religion. That being said, the mormon religion has some of the best food storage programs out there. Awesome net working,& information on canning, etc. I have no doubt that their food storage has helped many families in need.

I have a few Mormon friends and they like to shoot at tiny targets a LOOOONG ways off!

Ben, I would bet that you have more food storage than all of us put together. So, if SHTF,,,:)
That's way scary! I have a case of MREs and 4 buckets of basics.
You all should be doing better than that!
I was in the middle of the San Fernando earthquake of 1971.
no water. no food deliveries, no power for weeks.
It's all yucks and giggles till it happens.
About 2 years ago, out of the blue, I had a leemer paranoia moment.
News was bad, thundering public was acting all silly, I couldn't find any Jelly Belly sour cherry.
I went to Costco, Home Depot, and Freddies.
Felt better afterwords, Stuff is in the barn.
I've also been thinking how to store roofwater runoff.

33 years ago, married an angel/witch that didn't agree with me (my big brain did my thinking back then).
Would use up my SHTF supplies faster than I could replace em.
Nothing left but the cardboard. Even filched the gallon of clorox bleach.
Last couple years, she's been watching the news.
She recently liked that I had a couple buckets of basics set aside.
(May also help that her hands aren't strong enough to pry-off the bucket lids.)

That's way scary! I have a case of MREs and 4 buckets of basics.
You all should be doing better than that!
I was in the middle of the San Fernando earthquake of 1971.
no water. no food deliveries, no power for weeks.
It's all yucks and giggles till it happens.
About 2 years ago, out of the blue, I had a leemer paranoia moment.
News was bad, thundering public was acting all silly, I couldn't find any Jelly Belly sour cherry.
I went to Costco, Home Depot, and Freddies.
Felt better afterwords, Stuff is in the barn.
I've also been thinking how to store roofwater runoff.

33 years ago, married an angel/witch that didn't agree with me (my big brain did my thinking back then).
Would use up my SHTF supplies faster than I could replace em.
Nothing left but the cardboard. Even filched the gallon of clorox bleach.
Last couple years, she's been watching the news.
She recently liked that I had a couple buckets of basics set aside.
(May also help that her hands aren't strong enough to pry-off the bucket lids.)
Rick, funny you mention that. The wife and I have been talking about our prep or lack there of. During the down turn of the economy we used most of our storage. ( I am thankful we had it, that is what is was for) We have been trying to rebuild it, hard to do it with prices of food now. The wife and I feel we are totally unprepared, if a natural disaster hit today. It is moving at a snails pace, but we continue to do the best we can. Did the quake in 71 change any of your views, or did you have those before the quake?

I guess cub Scouts started me thinking about being prepared...
Had been a cub-thru-explorer scout. Spent a summer at Camp Pendleton as a Devil Pup. Was a Civil Air Patrol Cadet.
Read a lot of Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton (SHTF fiction)
Grandmother survived the Dust Bowl, Crash of '29. Got lots of lectures from her.
Then came the quake. I was 17 then, cracked our foundation, sloshed almost 2 ft water out of our built-in pool. No power. Evacuate order, Van Norman Dams were failing. Mom and Sis went to live w Uncle in Burbank, I was a Civil Air Patrol Cadet Sq 130, walked from Sepulveda to San Fernando, attached to CAP Rescue Sq 69.
Over a 3 week period
Were perimiter guards for Red Cross temporary field hospital, evac center at Granada hills HS.
"They" wanted to come in, see what was there. We said "wait till daylight" they said no wanted to come in now, we said "it wouldn't be worth your time" and put our hands on our M7 bayonets.
Saw a shopping center that sank about 15 feet from original level.
Saw a shopping mall with 2 story buildings sheared in half. Half standing, half rubble pile.
Saw blocks of residential homes knocked off their footings.
Saw ground split apart, looked down 10 ft and see phone cables, water mains, power bussways, torn apart.
Never got to the VA hospital. It was totaled.
Saw roadway sheared vertically, about 3 feet up.
"They", folks cruising for easy pickins. SFPD used us at night, as area sentries, to keep folks out.
Our OD utilities like military to keep em thinking.
"They" tried to bluff through us, we pulled M7 bayonets and invited them, they went away.
Slept in the park, SF jail.
Ate bologna sandwich offered by a salvation army kitchen that set-up at SF City Hall.
Only one water main intact into SF, folks would walk past barricades to fill their buckets, etc.
A "They" smashed his car through barricades, headed for water spicket. His flat tires stopped his charge.
Why? Because it was there? Because it seemed like a good idea? SFPD took him away.
There were periodic gunshots, bullets wizzed by.

My friend's dad Al Williams was heading north on I5 towards Bakersfield with a co-worker.
The Sylmar Fwy Overpass collapsed, killing them both (photo).
The overpass was rebuilt using the latest Quake standards.
It collapsed again during the '94 Northridge Quake, killing LAPD motor officer Clarence Dean.
Rebuilt again...

Lots of smarter folks have told me that my preparedness suggestions aren't called for or welcome.
I'm 60 now, Have been a Scout, CAP cadet, devil pup, US Marine, volunteer fire fighter, EMT.
Always ready to lend a hand to those in need.
Called a Blue collar chicken-little know-nothing (Yup, a bit bitter).

The '71 quake happened at 6am. '89 quake at 5pm. The '94 quake at 4am.
Notice the pattern? There is no pattern.

My buckets and such probably cost me $60 total.
A sack of rice and beans, some sloppy joe mix, maybe some sugar, flour, salt. cheap!

A sledge hammer, crow bar. A wrench to turn off water, gas at the street. Cheap at harbor freight.

A lock box for under your car seat. cost me $25.

Start now, start somewhere, or die stupid.

Rick, rodger on Andre Norton and Heinline! Ever read "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank?

I watch the Costco online sales on bucket deals. Entres, vegitables, meats! Maybe not the very best, like Wise Company etc. Maybe a little salty or smaller portions but a very good deal! Costco ships them for free too!

I guess cub Scouts started me thinking about being prepared...
Had been a cub-thru-explorer scout. Spent a summer at Camp Pendleton as a Devil Pup. Was a Civil Air Patrol Cadet.
Read a lot of Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton (SHTF fiction)
Grandmother survived the Dust Bowl, Crash of '29. Got lots of lectures from her.
Then came the quake. I was 17 then, cracked our foundation, sloshed almost 2 ft water out of our built-in pool. No power. Evacuate order, Van Norman Dams were failing. Mom and Sis went to live w Uncle in Burbank, I was a Civil Air Patrol Cadet Sq 130, walked from Sepulveda to San Fernando, attached to CAP Rescue Sq 69.
Over a 3 week period
Were perimiter guards for Red Cross temporary field hospital, evac center at Granada hills HS.
"They" wanted to come in, see what was there. We said "wait till daylight" they said no wanted to come in now, we said "it wouldn't be worth your time" and put our hands on our M7 bayonets.
Saw a shopping center that sank about 15 feet from original level.
Saw a shopping mall with 2 story buildings sheared in half. Half standing, half rubble pile.
Saw blocks of residential homes knocked off their footings.
Saw ground split apart, looked down 10 ft and see phone cables, water mains, power bussways, torn apart.
Never got to the VA hospital. It was totaled.
Saw roadway sheared vertically, about 3 feet up.
"They", folks cruising for easy pickins. SFPD used us at night, as area sentries, to keep folks out.
Our OD utilities like military to keep em thinking.
"They" tried to bluff through us, we pulled M7 bayonets and invited them, they went away.
Slept in the park, SF jail.
Ate bologna sandwich offered by a salvation army kitchen that set-up at SF City Hall.
Only one water main intact into SF, folks would walk past barricades to fill their buckets, etc.
A "They" smashed his car through barricades, headed for water spicket. His flat tires stopped his charge.
Why? Because it was there? Because it seemed like a good idea? SFPD took him away.
There were periodic gunshots, bullets wizzed by.

My friend's dad Al Williams was heading north on I5 towards Bakersfield with a co-worker.
The Sylmar Fwy Overpass collapsed, killing them both (photo).
The overpass was rebuilt using the latest Quake standards.
It collapsed again during the '94 Northridge Quake, killing LAPD motor officer Clarence Dean.
Rebuilt again...

Lots of smarter folks have told me that my preparedness suggestions aren't called for or welcome.
I'm 60 now, Have been a Scout, CAP cadet, devil pup, US Marine, volunteer fire fighter, EMT.
Always ready to lend a hand to those in need.
Called a Blue collar chicken-little know-nothing (Yup, a bit bitter).

The '71 quake happened at 6am. '89 quake at 5pm. The '94 quake at 4am.
Notice the pattern? There is no pattern.

My buckets and such probably cost me $60 total.
A sack of rice and beans, some sloppy joe mix, maybe some sugar, flour, salt. cheap!

A sledge hammer, crow bar. A wrench to turn off water, gas at the street. Cheap at harbor freight.

A lock box for under your car seat. cost me $25.

Start now, start somewhere, or die stupid.
Rick, I appreciate your reply to my question. obviously you have experience that I do not have, that's why I asked. On the ground experience, beats text books hands down. They do not share the details in which you did. I will take your suggestions, they are more than welcomed, thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top