JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have enough ammo to last me a decent lifetime, but it's the grandkids that are wiping me out.

They used to be satisfied with just shooting .22 rifles and pistols. Last year the youngest [10] said "the .22 are easiest for me to shoot but I like your bigger guns 'cuz they're so POWERFUL." It would be even worse if they were at my house every month!

02.jpg

yeah, not really hard up for money that I have to sell a gun, but just complaining about the prices. Kinda like gas when it was near $4.
The BIG difference is when gas hits $4+ hard to do much. Really hard for most to store any real amount of it when it's cheap. Now ammo? Unless it's someone who just took up shooting they had chances. Anyone who has been shooting for long has lived through at least a few of these panic shortages. Most just refuse to learn. Buy more than you shoot when everyone has it on sale. Stuff never goes bad. Few learn. This panic, like all the ones before, will come to an end. Most will go back to sleep and forget all about it until the next panic :confused:
So for the new shooters? Want to be ahead? Remember this. Ammo will come back. When it does buy more than you shoot until you have at least a years supply. Next shortage you will be fine.

The BIG difference is when gas hits $4+ hard to do much. Really hard for most to store any real amount of it when it's cheap. Now ammo? Unless it's someone who just took up shooting they had chances. Anyone who has been shooting for long has lived through at least a few of these panic shortages. Most just refuse to learn. Buy more than you shoot when everyone has it on sale. Stuff never goes bad. Few learn. This panic, like all the ones before, will come to an end. Most will go back to sleep and forget all about it until the next panic :confused:
So for the new shooters? Want to be ahead? Remember this. Ammo will come back. When it does buy more than you shoot until you have at least a years supply. Next shortage you will be fine.
ding ding ding

For anyone whom has thought a bit about reloading in the past, now would definitely be a good time to do it.

Yes, components and reloading equipment are also affected by any firearms/ammunition runs. As in now.

However being ABLE to reload also gives one more options.

Also, its a skill worth learning anyhow (IMHO). As in all things, skills take time, however handgun reloading is "pretty easy" relatively speaking.

If one hasn't been into reloading / stocked up, sure the COST savings may be not be as evident, but it's still there.

That just leaves time. So depends upon how much time one has & how much one would wish to spend that time BEING ABLE to shoot better ammunition, once the skill is learned...

Just fired off 50 rounds of 41 mag last Sunday. Not cheap in the best of times. And it's not a revolver for home defense, so it can take a nap until things re-settle. Still have 2 full boxes left. But what I think about every time I take ammo out of the locker and shoot is that I have to bring my inventory back up. Kind of an ugly feeling.

For anyone whom has thought a bit about reloading in the past, now would definitely be a good time to do it.

Yes, components and reloading equipment are also affected by any firearms/ammunition runs. As in now.

Also, its a skill worth learning anyhow (IMHO). As in all things, skills take time, however handgun reloading is "pretty easy" relatively speaking.

If one hasn't been into reloading / stocked up, sure the COST savings may be not be as evident, but it's still there.

That just leaves time. So depends upon how much time one has & how much one would wish to spend that time BEING ABLE to shoot better ammunition, once the skill is learned...
Yeabut I'm a brain surgeon and paying $100/50 for 9mm just isn't worth my time.

not really

Yeabut I'm a brain surgeon and paying $100/50 for 9mm just isn't worth my time.

not really

Oh, there's always that.

Also true "newbies" to shooting may simply see the astronomical costs of manufactured ammunition as "normal", and just deal with such.

I still haven't setup my reloading bench, so we're still shooting manufactured stocked up on "before" at decent deals.

That's the "time" thing that creeps it's heavy hand in. I've been incredibly short on the time to do do so, with work & life since before the "COVID" crud started.

However, if I didn't have that stock to rely on, I'd have "made" the time to set up my bench by adjusting some other priorities around.

Folks whom don't have "pre-COVID" manufactured stock & enjoy shooting & don't reload? Yikes, that's a tough spot to be in!

I woulda liked this but deep in my heart, competition and the info has always been there if anyone really were of a mind to do it. I started at 16 w my first gun, a target Hi-Power, casting/loading. I'd actually SHOOT my .44's because I could load it for $1/100.

My neighbor came over today because he'd ordered a 45acp from Bi-mart a while ago and then there was the Background check wait. What I'm saying is some time had passed since his purchase. He wanted to go shoot it today but had no ammo. I gave him 5 rounds.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews