JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Each Friday, I have the pleasure of sitting down and visiting with someone that has become a very good friend. We just sit down and start talking about anything and everything over a cup of coffee. This gentleman is 93 years old and sharp as a tack.

His life's experiences are fascinating to me: Growing up in rural Wisconsin, attending Princeton University, joining the Navy in December 1941, attending officer school, going to the Pidgeon-Thomas Iron Works facility in Memphis to be assigned and actually help build his Landing Tank Craft (LTC-617), piloting said vessel down the Mississippi, crossing the Atlantic, being shot at by U-Boats, shaking General Eisenhower's hand in England the morning before invading a beach in Normandy, remaining in the Navy after the war to help pay for his education, obtaining his P.H.D., watching the Brooklyn Dodgers on a regular basis, meeting his first (of many) wife in New York City, becoming an Economics Professor and living through many, many good and hard times alike.

I learn a great deal from this man. We have been visiting just about every Friday for a little over a year now. Can't wait for tomorrow. His health is fading recently, I'm going to miss him more than I can imagine when his time comes.

Thanks for listening.

I had a friend with similar qualities. A true gentleman and a natural story teller. He joined the Marines at the outbreak of the Korean war at the age of seventeen. Since I had served in Korea we hit it off right away and although we spent a lot of time on the war, the world was our discussion oyster. I'll never forget when he pulled his polo off and showed me a horrible burn scar! He just said, "You know which side had napalm in Korea don't you?" I just said, "Yes Sir, I do." Miss him, and gently envy Rufus!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top