JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whenever I see ammo I could use at a relatively reasonable price (especially given the current prices), I usually buy it if it is a good sized quantity (sometimes that is just 100 rounds, but usually ~500 rounds or more).

I have tens of thousands of rounds of both centerfire and rimfire (more of the latter than I will probably ever shoot), and no, I won't sell any of it. I have more ammo than some LGSs keep in stock.

Yesterday I bought almost 600 rounds of .40 S&W even though I had more than ten times that amount already. I bought 80 rounds of .460 Mag even though I already had twice that much and rarely shoot it. A couple of months ago I bought 800 rounds of .44 mag, a caliber I rarely shoot.

I can't help myself. I am spiraling out of control. :(
I am not seeing where you need help are you moving or something and need some strong backs to move the gun room stuff. It's not like ammo actually has an expiration date I think my great grand kids will still be shooting up my stuff and I dont even have grand kids yet.

But then you will risk being branded as a gouger.
Only by people that have little to do with your life and have no business being a part of your life. What some idiot believes is of little consequence as prices increase all by themselves as time marches on. Does a dollar hold the exact same value as when a cup of coffee was ten cents? or gas 28 cents a gallon? Or a box of .22LR for 50 cents?

I feel your plight. It's possible to become addicted to anything. Growing up poor and unable to get what I wanted, when I wanted has greatly influenced my behavior. My parents never threw away anything. Sometimes I see something I like, and instead of buying one, I buy 2 or 3 because I might not see it again. I'm fairly certain it is a form of hoarding and I think being aware of it and making conscious steps to address it is the only way to confront it. For example, I began collecting diecast cars years ago. Now, they number in the thousands but I'm still tempted to check them out whenever I'm in the store. This may sound silly, but to help combat my NEED to buy it, I've started taking pictures of them instead. In that way, I am able to "collect" them without actually spending money on them or having to store them. What I'm trying to say is that you need to come up with a way of addressing it yourself and what works for you. We can all joke about never having too much ammo, but I don't think this is really about the ammo as much as it is a personal fear of missing out on an opportunity or being caught without, even if that is far from the truth.

Good luck. I'm still working to overcome my compulsions and correct my spending habits. Sometimes I falter and buy some anyway and I just have to remind myself to be stronger next time. With awareness and finding a system that works for you, I believe that you can learn to control your habits better too.

To be fair to myself (seriously), I have not bought a SIG in over a year, which is a new record for me - I do have more guns than I need though, and occasionally I see something offered that I have wanted for years (e.g. a month or so ago I picked up a takedown Winchester Trapper Model 92 with an octagon barrel - I didn't even know they existed but it had all the features I was looking for in a carbine).

But generally I don't buy more than one, although sometimes I am tempted - If I had enough $ I would though, at least with guns, ammo, food, supplies and land. I don't collect stuff just to collect it though; it has to be something that is useful in some way and that in the past/present I didn't/don't have enough of (e.g., I have 6 computer monitors - if I had the room and the computer capacity, I would have more - I had 3 for home and 3 for work - at one time I had two offices at work and had 3 monitors at each).

Ammo and guns - I have enough for the three of us, even if SHTF. But if SHTF I could see us needing ammo for family, friends and neighbors, in which case I would not have enough - so yeah, I could see myself getting more. I won't until the prices return to "normal" though. Every once in a while I see a reasonable price on ammo, albeit inflated over what I paid previously; e.g., the .40 SD ammo I bought Saturday was 63¢ per round for standard (not premium) HP Federal whereas I have paid about half that for Federal HST (premium) .40 ammo pre-pandemic (it was PD tradein ammo). But I refuse to pay 50¢+ for ball ammo, when it was previously priced at half that and I can occasionally get SD ammo for a bit more.

But yes, I admit, I am a bit of a hoarder - seriously. Though I don't feel bad about having all that ammo, not now, probably not ever. Also, I have found that I do enjoy spending money, which is disturbing. I generally have that kind of under control - last month my CC bill was only $73 which covered my heart meds, cell phone and my Amazon vid subs.

Whenever I see ammo I could use at a relatively reasonable price (especially given the current prices), I usually buy it if it is a good sized quantity (sometimes that is just 100 rounds, but usually ~500 rounds or more).

I have tens of thousands of rounds of both centerfire and rimfire (more of the latter than I will probably ever shoot), and no, I won't sell any of it. I have more ammo than some LGSs keep in stock.

Yesterday I bought almost 600 rounds of .40 S&W even though I had more than ten times that amount already. I bought 80 rounds of .460 Mag even though I already had twice that much and rarely shoot it. A couple of months ago I bought 800 rounds of .44 mag, a caliber I rarely shoot.

Smart thing to do, stop telling people what you have.

Only by people that have little to do with your life and have no business being a part of your life. What some idiot believes is of little consequence as prices increase all by themselves as time marches on. Does a dollar hold the exact same value as when a cup of coffee was ten cents? or gas 28 cents a gallon? Or a box of .22LR for 50 cents?
Well, I didn't want to say it right out like that. But totally agree. The market is what it is. When places such as Midway are charging higher prices, I think that establishes a commercial threshold. Especially when they don't have any in stock to sell. The market itself establishes pricing. Including participant buyers.

My feeling is that if prices moderate in future, they won't be back to pre-Covid levels. There have been too many influences for this to happen. Hoarding mentality has been well established, manufacturers and distributors have discovered the level of pain that buyers will tolerate, not to mention inflation that will support higher prices at every level.

Inflation indicators are becoming pretty scary. The price of just about every commodity and asset is rising noticeably. Recent ag commodity bumps haven't had time yet to be reflected in consumer goods but it's coming. In case you hadn't noticed the prices creeping up in the gro. stores all along before the recent rush in ag prices. Oil has been rising steadily in recent months. The metals have gone nuts along with lumber. No need in talking about housing and "transportation" (new vehicles with 84 month notes). The Fed and the US Gov't are pretending it all isn't happening; they don't have any recourse to do anything about it with interest rates at zero. If they start raising rates, the house of cards is in danger of collapse.

Get a grip on your self man! This is England and we English... Seriously, we'll always be ammoholics, but there is help in the fellowship of other ammoholics. :)

i think the important question to ask is:
is it significantly impacting your savings, IE putting you in the poor house? if not dont sweat it its a great investment. and BTW id NEVER admit how much you actually have stowed up or brace for "breach of privacy" but im sure you dont care..

I look at it this way. who knows what the normal ammo prices will be. maybe now is the new normal. If you see ammo and you want to pay the price then buy it.if someone calls you a hoarder then so what, at least you have ammo . I think some of the people bubbleguming are the people who got caught in the crunch. Now if someone is running all over the county buying everything they can get just to put it on gunbroker , that's different. I have enough ammo because I bought it when it was on sale before the crap happened.

I'm still shooting Winchester Lightning .22 marked $.47/50 from when Montgomery Wards or Sears (I forget which) had their ammo liquidation sale on the last day.
I got it for half price and loaded up a pickup.. back in the 80's.

i think the important question to ask is:
is it significantly impacting your savings, IE putting you in the poor house? if not dont sweat it its a great investment. and BTW id NEVER admit how much you actually have stowed up or brace for "breach of privacy" but im sure you dont care..
Fortunately I can afford to buy ammo without touching my savings. I am relatively careful with my finances, and actually it appears that they are getting better, despite my being involuntarily retired as of last year - I have not yet had to touch my retirement savings and it appears that I won't need to for the foreseeable future.

That said, stuff happens. If it does I can handle it - I hope.

But the $ I've spent on ammo are not going to impact my finances that much - so far, so good.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top