JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FIRST SHOTS
Each year I volunteer my time as a Range Safety Officer and Handgun Instructor during the First Shots event at Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility near Benton City, WA. Annually, about 100 new shooters (mostly women) receive classroom training and practical experience in gun safety, function, technique, and live fire. For many of them, it's their first experience with a handgun.

Washington State Initiative 594 would make this gun safety training illegal because these new shooters use firearms provided by the instructors. :(

http://www.nssf.org/FirsTshOTs/

Seriously? Does it ban any providing of firearms to people for temporary use or something?

Please pardon that I'm from Oregon, so haven't been following that bill much.

FIRST SHOTS
Each year I volunteer my time as a Range Safety Officer and Handgun Instructor during the First Shots event at Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility near Benton City, WA. Annually, about 100 new shooters (mostly women) receive classroom training and practical experience in gun safety, function, technique, and live fire. For many of them, it's their first experience with a handgun.

Washington State Initiative 594 would make this gun safety training illegal because these new shooters use firearms provided by the instructors. :(
No, it would be covered by the following exemption.
(4) This section does not apply to:
(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm
(ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;

No, it would be covered by the following exemption.

You are assuming First Shots (or other training) takes place at at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located.

Such a range has not been defined and may not ever exist.

You are assuming First Shots (or other training) takes place at at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located.

Your first post mentioned the Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility.

From the Tri-Cities Shooting Association website:
The 1100 acre fenced location of the RSMF consists of land belonging to the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife and the U. S. Bureau of Land Management. This property is administered by the Benton County Park Board under a Memorandum of Understanding with the two property-owning agencies.
From this I would strongly suspect that it qualifies as an "established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located".

Then where does it take place, your back yard??

(ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;

Since the guns for First Shot are not kept at all times at the range you would be in violation. A judge will decide how to interpret the law.

Since the guns for First Shot are not kept at all times at the range you would be in violation. A judge will decide how to interpret the law.

Kept at all time while during the temporary transfer

That's the way I read it too....it sounds as if you own a store and rent out guns to be used at your range then you're fine....but if you go around and let people use your guns at a range and you are not present for the training then you're screwed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top