JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
the best argument I have come up with to deflate Liberals is this......

Do you support voter ID? if your answer is no, because it will disenfranchise the poor who can not afford to get an ID and deprive them of their constitutional right to vote and that would clearly be racist since it would dis proportionally effect minorities.

then...

How can you then support I-594 which has greater ID requirements than a vote ID law? additionally we all know that there will be a fee that will need to be paid for the background which will be a double hit to the poor. So I0594 is clearly targeted at keeping the poor and minorities from exercising their constitutional right to own a firearm.

I-594 is racist.

Likening it to a "poll tax" is relevant too.

If someone can't afford to pay for the use tax as well another background check, they will have committed a crime if they let that firearm go out of their sight.

Since we are already paying use tax on transfers from out-of-state, I expect that we will be required to pay it for the instate transfer too, unless you can prove that WA has already received any applicable taxes in that firearm.

<broken link removed>

Introduction

Washington residents sometimes purchase firearms from out-of-state dealers. Because of state and federal laws, many firearms acquired from an out-of-state source by a Washington resident must be sent from the out-of state transferor to a federally licensed gun dealer located in Washington State.

Once the Washington gun dealer has conducted the required background checks, the dealer will deliver the firearm to the Washington buyer.

The following provides instructions for the taxability of such transfers.

Is the purchase of a firearm subject to sales tax?
For an interstate transfer of firearms, the Washington gun dealer is required to collect use tax from the Washington buyer at the time the firearm is delivered to the buyer. Use tax is collected on the total purchase price, including freight/delivery and insurance charges.

If the purchase price is not evident, it is up to the gun dealer to determine the taxable amount by either requiring the purchaser to show the purchase price or by obtaining the selling price from the out of state seller. If for whatever reason, the Washington dealer is still unable to obtain the original purchase price, RCW 82.12.010 provides that the
current fair market value of the firearm shall be used. Current fair market values may be determined by the insured value, a recent appraisal, or a reliable resource, such as a respected publisher of gun values. (Values are subject to audit verification).

What if the firearm is a gift or the customer already owns it?
A firearm obtained by gift is subject to use tax unless it can be demonstrated that the prior owner paid retail sales or use tax. (RCW 82.12.010). The Washington dealer may use the current fair market value as the taxable amount to calculate the use tax.

In cases where the firearm owner can provide proof of retail sales or use tax paid to Washington, the Washington dealer is not required to collect use tax. The Washington dealer must retain proof of tax paid.

In cases where the firearm owner can provide proof of retail sales or use tax paid to other states, the firearm owner is eligible for a credit against the use tax for the amount of sales or use tax paid to the other state. RCW 82.12.035.

Transfers of Firearms Between States
Generally, the Washington gun dealer charges the Washington resident a fee for processing paperwork related to the transfer of the weapon from out of state into Washington. Neither retail sales nor use tax apply on any fees charged by the Washington gun dealer for processing the required state and federal paperwork.

Is the transfer fee subject to sales tax?
The gun dealer is not required to collect retail sales tax on the service charge for processing the required federal and state forms and contacting the national Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) when the charge is stated separately from the selling price of the firearm and freight and/or delivery charges, insurance, etc.

How are these transactions reported on the gun dealer's excise tax form?
The gross selling price of the firearm is reported under the use tax lines of the tax return.

The separately stated service charge for processing the required federal and state forms and contacting the National Instant Criminal Background Check System is reported under the service and other activities B&O tax classification. Retail sales tax does not apply on this charge.

Applicable law RCW 82.12.040(1) states: Every person who maintains in this state a place of business or a stock of goods, or engages in business activities within this state, shall obtain from the department a certificate of registration, and shall, at the time of making sales of tangible personal property, extended warranties, or sales of any service defined as a retail sale in RCW 82.04.050 (2)(a) or (3)(a), or making transfers of either possession or title, or both, of tangible personal property for use in this state, collect from the purchaser or transferees the tax imposed under this chapter. The tax to be collected under this section shall be in an amount equal to the purchase price multiplied by the rate in effect for the retail sales tax under RCW 82.08.020. (Emphasis added).

Visit our website at dor.wa.gov, send an email to [email protected], or call the Telephone Information Center at 1-800-647-7706.

Last Edited:
A better argument to liberals might be:
It is well known that non-white people receive harsher sentencing than white people do for similar offenses. The results of the so-called 'war on drugs' show this without a doubt. So why would you expect enforcement of I-594 to be any different?

All gun control is racist in nature. At the core is urban while liberals who fear minorities with guns. Lookit at who is spending all the money to promote I-594... it sure as heck isn't minorities

I-594 would prevent me from loaning a firearm to my black, latino, Asian, white, gay,straight, trans, male, female,*insert group of law abiding free citizens* for protecting themselves against bigots, racists, stalkers, murders, thugs*insert bad guy group*. Gays with guns don't get bashed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top