JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I oppose 594, but I also think it is toothless.

If it passes and 591 fails, I expect a lot of "lost" and "found" weapons in this state.

I bet it is also good for gun shops in the state (who have to perform BG checks anyway).

I am trying, check the comments section <broken link removed>
Can some of you Washington experts post the facts and back me up here? The PRO I594 side is asserting that lending a pistol for "target practice" would be perfectly legal if it passes!

That is typical of the deceptiveness.
-------------------
jubilado
Nick_B if you would read 594 you would find that it concerns selling weapons. It clearly states that you can loan a gun to someone for hunting or target practice. Luke's father could even give him the gun without going to a firearms dealer because you can gift guns to immediate family members. The friend and Luke would not have to go to a licensed firearms dealer because of the clear exception that a loan can be made to someone for sporting activities (target practice, etc).
Reasonable Exceptions – background checks are not required for:
Gifts between immediate family members
Antiques and relics
Temporary transfers for self-defense
Loans for lawful hunting or sporting activities
If you sell a gun to someone you and the buyer have to go a federally licensed dealer and go through the FBI call in procedure. FBI figures show that since 1998 just under 1,000,000 people received a "don't sell to them" reply. In Washington State the figure is 40, 900. If you sell a gun to someone and do not go through the legal process you would be guilty of a crime. A poll show that 72% of Washingtonians think this is perfectly reasonable and is, in fact, a step forward, a step that will not lead to "taking our guns away."

-------------------

Reality,
(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm (i) between spouses or
domestic partners; (ii) if the temporary transfer occurs, and the
firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range
authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such
range is located; (iii) if the temporary transfer occurs and the
transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful
organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while
participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group
that uses firearms as a part of the performance; (iv) to a person who
is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or
educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of
a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms; or
(v) while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the
person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and the
person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all training
and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting, provided
that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is permitted
only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited
from possessing firearms under state or federal law;
-------------------
Luke's father could indeed give him a gun but could not loan it or sell it to him. For target practice the only exception is for a firearm kept at all times at an established shooting range. If you keep your gun at home then it doesn't qualify. Hunting is an exception as well but only if both go to the hunting location first and remain there at all times. They both need all licenses and permits as well. They recognized the exceptions here with I-594 and then purposely made them so narrow as to be unworkable. They can technically list the exceptions without the narrow definitions to make it sound like they exist.
jubilado is dead wrong though about the clear exception for loans. It doesn't exist at all.

One more note, there is no exception to this check for having a concealed pistol license. There is a section there that mentions it but that isn't an exception. I.E. The background checks and potential 10 day waiting period are still required. Effectively it means nothing.

I oppose 594, but I also think it is toothless.

If it passes and 591 fails, I expect a lot of "lost" and "found" weapons in this state.

I bet it is also good for gun shops in the state (who have to perform BG checks anyway).

TOOTHLESS? You evidently read it about as thoroughly as its proponents. There are penalties in there, gross misdemeanor and felony. That's not "toothless."

And now for a bit of media bias:

Newspaper endorsements reveal anti-rights bias against gun owners

Two endorsements this morning, in two Puget Sound-area newspapers – the Seattle Times and Everett Herald – reveal in their closing paragraphs an anti-gun bias that helps tip the scales for their respective editorial boards toward two Democrats…

<broken link removed>

If you have stories of media bias against guns, share them in the Comments section below my column.

In case you all didn't know, deadline to register to vote is this coming Monday, October 6th. If there are any 2A friendly Washingtonians that aren't registered, might be worth a text or call to get them to register online. After the 6th, they have until Oct 27th to do so in person.

In case you all didn't know, deadline to register to vote is this coming Monday, October 6th. If there are any 2A friendly Washingtonians that aren't registered, might be worth a text or call to get them to register online. After the 6th, they have until Oct 27th to do so in person.

That information on line anywhere?

You can also go to <broken link removed> and manage your information and voting preferences there . I downloaded my absentee ballot from there (after receiving an email from the Mason Co. auditor), and my son was able to change his registration from KingCo to our Mason Co address, using that link.

Picture1.png

I verified the dates a couple weeks ago so I know they are correct. If anyone is in the Vancouver area that needs to get registered I have a handful of forms and will be going to the election office Monday with whatever I have by then.

We definately need all hands on deck for this one. Hopefully the voters pamphlet has a decent arguement in it that will sway voters on the fence.

Attachments

• Pages - Online Voter's Guide.pdf
    250.1 KB · Views: 168
I'm going to grab that pdf and share it.

No prob!

RE: "... The change in revenues cannot be estimated without information on whether licensed dealers would charge administrative fees, at what amount fees might be set, how many licensed dealers may charge administrative fees or the number of firearm purchases made each year where use taxes would be due. ..." from that .pdf'd page:

Look at <broken link removed>

"... What if the firearm is a gift or the customer already owns it?

A firearm obtained by gift is subject to use tax unless it can be demonstrated that the prior owner paid retail sales or use tax. (RCW 82.12.010). The Washington dealer may use the current fair market value as the taxable amount to calculate the use tax.

In cases where the firearm owner can provide proof of retail sales or use tax paid to Washington, the Washington dealer is not required to collect use tax. The Washington dealer must retain proof of tax paid.

In cases where the firearm owner can provide proof of retail sales or use tax paid to other states, the firearm owner is eligible for a credit against the use tax for the amount of sales or use tax paid to the other state. RCW 82.12.035."

Since 2011 WA has been collecting use tax on firearms transferred through FFLs, unless the receiver can prove that all applicable taxes were paid on it previously. YOU HAVE TO BRING YOUR SALES RECEIPT!

As an example, my late grandfather bought a 12 gauge pump action shotgun at the Sears store on 1st Ave, in the late 50's. My uncle got it out of the estate when grandpa passed away in 1985. It stayed with my uncle until last year, when he sent it back to me, from OH, through our respective FFLs.

Since I didn't have the sales receipt grandpa got from Sears in 1955, which would prove that he had paid sales tax to the State of WA on it, I had to pay the use tax (based on the fair market value of the shotgun today) as well as the FFL's $35 transfer fee, and of course get another NICS background check.

That was all for an interstate transfer of a firearm.

I can't imagine how I-594 would NOT apply those same standards to almost all intrastate transfers of firearms (exempting a very few situations, allowed and as enumerated on on pg 9 of I-594), as well as requiring a background check, and in fact uses very similar taxation language as found in the taxing authority for the WA Dept of Revenue notice that I cited above.

How would that apply to storing a friend's (or my deploying Marine son's, or my college-bound daughter's) firearms? The state will stand to make a lot of money off of this initiative, if we can't prove that all applicable taxes were previously paid to the state of WA on that transfer.
:mad:

Who has yard signs in SW WA??? Clark County Republican office had nothing, but they are going to discuss it at the board meeting tonight...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top