Washington I-1639....

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by PNWPrepper, Nov 7, 2018.

1. PNWPrepper

PNWPrepper
    Clatskanie

So I have been blessed with the opportunity and timing of buying a house in Longview just days before this passed. Extremely pissed about the timing. Anyways. I was wondering what it would take to start a 2nd amendment preservation petition like Columbia county in Oregon did as well as multiple counties in Oregon. I want to get something like that started so that way I can keep my guns and not have to worry about being a criminal for crossing over the river.. Where do I start?

usausausa, bbbass, svxr8dr and 2 others like this.
  2. swarf

swarf
    South of Seattle

This thing is going to be challenged six ways to Sunday, as it should.

The fact that the whole Iniative is predicated on a lie that it then changes surrounding law to make “true” should be enough to get it tossed (“we want to make it harder to buy semiautomatic assault rifles. Oh, by the way, we’re changing the definition of ‘semiautomatic assault rifle’ to include all semis”)

Should. But the thing never should have been brought before the voters in the first place, since they lied to get signatures, and it’s 30 pages long, guaranteeing no one read the whole thing before they signed it.

I’d like to start an Initiative stating that if an Initiative can’t fit on a single, single-spaces sheet of paper, it can’t qualify as an Initiative an must go before the Legislature.

At least winning this will keep the idiots from attacking state preemption... maybe.

Besides, when it is shown to produce a 0% reduction in crime, they will repeal it, right? I mean, they wouldn’t keep an anti gun law on the books just out of spite, right?

usausausa, bbbass, fredball and 7 others like this.
  3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I ate an elephant once. not really

Caveman Jim, bbbass, hker71 and 2 others like this.
  4. Buck13

Buck13
    Seattle

Canada ended their long-gun registry when they decided it was a useless waste of money. I'm not optimistic that our gun politics is as smart as Canada's, though. Still, we should lobby the legislature to undo at least some of this.

SparksFly, bbbass and fredball like this.
  5. rdb241

rdb241
    Puyallup Washington
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

First of all, if it sticks. There has to be an efective date. I imagine eveything after that effective date will be in compliance with this BS. Second, I don't know yet if there is a grandfather clause in the bill. Third, they can not go door to door asking questions about what you own and how you store it. Fourth, will this stupid state now employ range Police. Asking you if the gun you brought to the range complies? Fifth, will those same range Police ask if you have paid your yearly fee for owning said firearm and have you paid and taken the "safe" gun handleing course to even own said firearm. (most of us have already had several decades of safe gun handling. Why do we need a class now?) Seventh, The NRA has already said they will take it to court. We will see what happens there? When stupid chit gets passed like this, I am glad I do not have a paper trail...........

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  6. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck. Gold Supporter

What do you mean? It just made half the people in Washington criminals. And most are oblivious to the fact.

I kicked a pig once.

Really! It felt good .

7. Basedgreaser

Basedgreaser
    Castle Rock
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Hows idaho this time of year?

SparksFly, bbbass, fredball and 8 others like this.
  8. DB Wesner

DB Wesner
    PNW
    You need more cowbell. Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Washingtonians had to pass it, to see what was in it...

9. Slobray

Slobray
    Yelm, WA

Challenging 1639 in WA is an exercise in futility, as the leftists who legislate from the bench have already rubber stamped this, so we've already lost there.

On the federal level, it will take a minimum of 10 years before it makes it to the SCOTUS. Remember that it has to go through the 9th Circus first: First they'll sit on it for a couple of years, then a 3 judge panel will side with us, then full court en banc will overturn that ruling, then it might be heard by the high court.

With the legislature totally controlled by leftist, I predict repealing preemption will be the first law they pass, next will be 1631.

Ray

10. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck. Gold Supporter

I here you. But Trump is in the process of reshaping the 9th circus court. [And all others]
    And we still hold the Senate. So the Dems cant stop his nominations. ;)

White House nominations to 9th Circuit set off firestorm - CNNPolitics

''This week, McGahn erupted in a rare display of anger.
    "We have spent nearly two years attempting to engage constructively with the Senators regarding the growing number of judicial vacancies tied to California," he said in a letter sent to Chairman Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, and dated October 10.
    McGahn complained that he had taken meetings with Feinstein on "multiple occasions." And he lashed out at the state's other senator, Democrat Kamala Harris.
    "Senator Harris has refused to engage with the White House at any level, whatsoever on the issue," McGahn said.
    As a result, given the "extensive attempts at consultation," McGahn said the President is "exercising his prerogative to nominate his own well-qualified nominees."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  11. revjen45

revjen45
    Snohomish County

The Supreme Democrats will rule it constitutional no matter how sound the legal reasoning against it. The Dems hate politicized judges as long as they are Republicans.

Caveman Jim, bbbass, fredball and 5 others like this.
  12. WALawyer

WALawyer
    Tacoma, WA

13. DB Wesner

DB Wesner
    PNW
    You need more cowbell. Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

bbbass, fredball and Alexx1401 like this.
  14. Elf

Elf
    Clark County, WA
    Active Member 2018 Volunteer

Any take on the medical privacy waiver issue? I didn't see it mentioned on the post.

BlackRyder likes this.
  15. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

Thanks for the concise summery.

I thought there was a section about them being able to search your home once a year to check on how the firearms are stored?

Phantom Man likes this.
  16. bikemutt

bikemutt
    Vancouver, WA

I own one or two semi-auto rifles now, how does this affect me going forward?

bbbass likes this.
  17. rdb241

rdb241
    Puyallup Washington
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

the way I understand things. Unless other wise stated. You can keep what you have with out the training BS and the 10 day wait.. This will only effect new sales after July 1st 2019. If anybody has any other info. Please chime in.

bbbass likes this.
  18. flydipper

flydipper
    whatcom co

So my question is; Real property under his or her control, would that be the definition of a member owed gun club that they are a member of?

19. arakboss

arakboss
    Portland, Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

Even if you were to successfully get a SAPO enacted in your county you would still be violating the restrictions laid out in I-1639. It may reduce the chances that you will have an issue with local or county law enforcement but we won't know that for a while. I wish the SAPOs were the remedy to this violation of our 2A rights but I think they are more of a feel good, wink and nod answer to a problem we can't solve easily. I won't be holding my breath for the courts to provide relief either.

20. WALawyer

WALawyer
    Tacoma, WA

I tried to focus on what's new in I-1639. The medical privacy waiver is not new. It's been in effect for handguns since 1994. I-1639 just extends this waiver to AR purchases.

There's nothing like that in there. Something like that could not possibly withstand a court challenge. You may be confusing this with a yearly background check that will be done by law enforcement without the purchaser's knowledge. This check will only apply to a person who has purchased a handgun or AR after July 1, 2019.

No change going forward unless you buy a handgun or AR after July 1, 2019.

Yes.

I am not sure, there is no clear answer to this. I would say the focus is on whether the member has "control" over the real property. For example, I am a member of the YMCA, but I definitely do not control it.