JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again, nothing to do with 1639. This is a change by the feds declining to do courtesy checks on pistol transfers.

Exactly right.

Here's what ticks me off. The feds, understandably, don't want to have to run two BG checks for the same transfer, that's wasteful of resources if nothing else. Why on earth couldn't the state of WA simply have local LE omit the second NICS check if a CPL holder is the transferee? The feds are going to get pinged one way or the other, they just don't want to get pinged twice. Instead of a commonsense solution, lets just dick law-abiding citizens instead o_O

Am I correct in the reading that if I want to buy a 9mm Sig 938 I have until July 1 or I will be subject to the State's violation of my Constitutional Right to Privacy?

The changes went in to effect last July. As far as I know, the level of background check done is the same as it's always been for pistols. One time waiver of HIPPA, unlike SA rifles which is for life.

Am I correct in the reading that if I want to buy a 9mm Sig 938 I have until July 1 or I will be subject to the State's violation of my Constitutional Right to Privacy?
The HIPPA waiver has been in place quite a while now
You HAD until June 30, 2019 to buy a handgun and walk out with it if you had a CHL, though.

The changes went in to effect last July. As far as I know, the level of background check done is the same as it's always been for pistols. One time waiver of HIPPA, unlike SA rifles which is for life.

That's good to know. I have a handgun in mind I've been lusting for but did not want to submit to any sort of lifetime medical investigation.

Need to see if Sporting still has those Korth wheelies in stock :)

The HIPPA waiver has been in place quite a while now
You HAD until June 30, 2019 to buy a handgun and walk out with it if you had a CHL, though.
Hm. I'll have one beer less when reading idiotic legislation, the better to comprehend. Thanks for the clarification! Maybe I'll continue my search for a good deal on the (more or less) last gun I want to round out my collection. :)

If pistols are still clear from the hippa stuff, then maybe I can still grab an AK pistol to SBR later... thats kind of my last big project desire for now. I thought everything but stripped lowers were lifetime waivers now.

If pistols are still clear from the hippa stuff, then maybe I can still grab an AK pistol to SBR later... thats kind of my last big project desire for now. I thought everything but stripped lowers were lifetime waivers now.
Pistols ARE HIPPA Waiver... stripped receiver is your only end run, and even that's next in the crosshairs.

My understanding is that if you have to filll out a Washington State form ("assault rifle"/pistol) the HIPPA waiver is now permanent. The 4473 you fill out for a bolt action,shotgun, or receiver us the same as its always been.
Add me to the list of no more pistol/semi auto rifle purchases in Washington.

My understanding is that if you have to filll out a Washington State form ("assault rifle"/pistol) the HIPPA waiver is now permanent. The 4473 you fill out for a bolt action,shotgun, or receiver us the same as its always been.

Welcome to Washington, home of the perpetual colonoscopy :(

I'm not aware of any new legislation passed that could have affected pistols. The only new law passed only mentioned rifles. I bought a pistol in October, and the form is the same as it's always been as far as I could tell. I think it's a new different form for SA rifles, but I haven't seen it.

If they lumped pistols in, without legislative authority, it seems like it could easily be challenged and thrown out.

I'm not aware of any new legislation passed that could have affected pistols. The only new law passed only mentioned rifles. I bought a pistol in October, and the form is the same as it's always been as far as I could tell. I think it's a new different form for SA rifles, but I haven't seen it.

If they lumped pistols in, without legislative authority, it seems like it could easily be challenged and thrown out.
I haven't bought anything post 1639 but it looks to be the same wa. form for pistol and semi auto. The wording on section C question 4 is not the same as pre 1639.

Im not %100 but this is what Im seeing. Screenshot_20200129-192609_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20200129-192623_Drive.jpg

I haven't bought anything post 1639 but it looks to be the same wa. form for pistol and semi auto. The wording on section C question 4 is not the same as pre 1639.

Im not %100 but this is what Im seeing.View attachment 655079View attachment 655080
The pistol HIPA waiver would be for one time as there is only one background check for a pistol purchase. The HIPA waiver for a semiautomatic rifle purchase would be a lifetime waiver as law enforcement is required to do a new background check every year forever. Not even sure they stop if you die, the law doesn't say.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top