JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So long story short, I work out of the state half the year, and the longest I am ever in town is 5 to 7 days straight. The other time, I could be out of town for up to a month. So with the new waiting periods for semi auto rifles and pistols, how the hell can I purchase one? Would I have to find a dealer who would be willing to hold my transfer for a month? If that's the case, I couldn't imagine putting out the money and paying for a rifle or pistol, and then leaving it with someone for a month. This new law seems to make it impossible for me to purchase a pistol of semi auto rifle. Am I screwed?

Are you concerned that your NICS approval will expire before the ten business day semi auto rifle waiting period will end? That shouldn't be a concern mathematically. What kind of semi auto rifle do you want to buy? One you could assemble on an "other" receiver not subject to 1639? A pistol purchase now usually takes less than a week. Depending on where you live you could contact Sporting Systems in Vancouver and discuss your intended purchase with them.

Well OK then. Mission accomplished.

I think you would have to find a dealer willing to hold the gun for you. That may be difficult as when I have a gun shipped in form an online dealer the transfer usually has to take place within a few weeks or they will ship the gun back. I would guess that if you are buying a gun that is in stock from a local dealer it would not be an issue, but a transfer from an on-line seller may not be an option for you any more.

My understanding is that for Washington residents 21 and over an "other" like an AR receiver or Mossberg Shockwave gets transferred on a federal 4473 and instant NICS check, so unless you draw a delay there isn't a waiting period. For pistols you have to wait for the state to approve the delivery which is running five days now. For a semi auto rifle there is a mandatory ten business day delay in addition to the state background check. The state background checks can be extended if the mental health check does not come back promptly.

Not screwed you just have to wait until you're in town again to pick it up. Personally, I'd give the LGS $100 down, then pay the balance as I took possession.

Do you travel to the same place or handful of places for your work? If you're out of state for months at a time you might want to consider becoming a resident of wherever that is.

So long story short, I work out of the state half the year, and the longest I am ever in town is 5 to 7 days straight. The other time, I could be out of town for up to a month. So with the new waiting periods for semi auto rifles and pistols, how the hell can I purchase one? Would I have to find a dealer who would be willing to hold my transfer for a month? If that's the case, I couldn't imagine putting out the money and paying for a rifle or pistol, and then leaving it with someone for a month. This new law seems to make it impossible for me to purchase a pistol of semi auto rifle. Am I screwed?

As long as you have paid for the gun, why would a dealer have any problem with this? You pay, they run you. When they get the OK to give you the gun, they can call, text, or e-mail you. You then tell them when you will be back in town. Ever bought or knew anyone who bought a Suppressor? Dealer is holing that purchase for around a year. As long as you tell them what you are doing up front. Some may not wish to do so but I am sure many will have no problem at all. The gun is sitting in their shop but it has been paid for.
Another poster mentioned this. How long are you in another state? Is it the same state? You may be able to legally make yourself a resident of another state. See what is required to do this if one of the places you work has better rules and laws on guns.

I couldn't imagine putting out the money and paying for a rifle or pistol, and then leaving it with someone for a month. This new law seems to make it impossible f

I take it no NFA for you? I forked over more than $1,000 for a suppressor and stamp and it is now coming up on 13 months of sitting in the store. I have a second one again over $1,000 that has been 9 months.

What type of semi auto pistol are you trying to buy?
The Nomad Defense pistol frame is based on a Generation 4 Glock 19. Pass your NICS, produce your CPL, and walk out of Rainier Arms after 10 minutes with your "other" pistol frame.

Put a Gen4 19 slide assembly on it...and you are GTG.

I have emailed Nomad Defense. They anticipate the release of a 17 sized frame in January, also based on the Generation 4

What type of semi auto pistol are you trying to buy?
The Nomad Defense pistol frame is based on a Generation 4 Glock 19. Pass your NICS, produce your CPL, and walk out of Rainier Arms after 10 minutes with your "other" pistol frame.

Put a Gen4 19 slide assembly on it...and you are GTG.

I have emailed Nomad Defense. They anticipate the release of a 17 sized frame in January, also based on the Generation 4
Nice, how much do these run? Anyone here tried one to see how it works? Sounds like a great idea if they are well made.

A little over $200. I'm toying with the idea right now, but the thing is I want the 17 size, and not so much the 19 sized one.

Go to the Rainier Arms website. Put in Nomad Defense in the search bar for the correct page.

Also google Nomad Defense for the manufacture website.

It comes stripped, you will have to add the Gen4 specific parts to complete the lower receiver.
The feature of the frame seem sweet: stippling, changeable back straps, also, the trigger guard is enlarged....so some holsters may not work. Rainier and Nomad talk about this on their respective sites.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top