JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Say the SHTF awhile back (few months or so) There are friends/acquaintances that you have banded together with. There is no common enemy (no zombies or communists (like Red Dawn). You come upon another group or vice-versa. What is your etiquette? Shoot first and take their items, try to make contact or avoid them? these are not the only options so be free to explain your opinions and theories. Me personally, I would attempt to make contact first w/ only one person announcing themselves to make first contact while being covered from a distance by my group (much like in the movie Jarhead when they meet the nomads who had their camels stolen)

I think this will depend on the group encountered. I would be in a family unit, so I'd tend to avoid contact with anyone other than maybe another family unit. Shooting first is an option only for a mindless gang of hoodlums (unless I'm shooting AT a mindless gang of hoodlums :D ).

Keith

1st take cover and observe,,If a family unit maybe try and make contact (with an overwatch). If it looks like looters evade or engage depending on my resorses and thiers, Try and estatblish contact for trade of resources....

So how would you identify a "mindless gang of hoodlums" then? Not many people know how to do bound and overwatch. So that option isn't a very safe one. As for myself, I was trained to gather intel before striking and that's what I'll do. However, if I'm engaged then I will either evade or close with the enemy until they're dead, destroyed, or captured. Actually, if the SHTF I won't be taking any prisoners.

Well it all depends if the are in my path of tavel and if they have seen me. Now if they where "MZB's" (this is a quote from a very good book) I would most diffently take cover and make sure my everyone is in cover and let the group pass. No need for needless bloodshed.

So how would you identify a "mindless gang of hoodlums" then? Not many people know how to do bound and overwatch. So that option isn't a very safe one. As for myself, I was trained to gather intel before striking and that's what I'll do. However, if I'm engaged then I will either evade or close with the enemy until they're dead, destroyed, or captured. Actually, if the SHTF I won't be taking any prisoners.

Oh please...didn't you see the smiley?

Keith

It would be to much of a risk to make contact. I don't care how much training your family has had once the shooting starts plans will quickly fall apart. Unless you have doctor with a field surgery pack in your group any gun shot wound could become infected and turn terminal under these conditions. With that said if the situation in camp were dire due to a lack of food and or supply's you may have to ambush any groups you encounter. On the other hand if your camp is fat with supply's you could not trust any group to not attack you.

The next question is how many people do you need in your group? I think 15 to 20 adults. Hunting / gathering would be full time jobs. Wood cutting and hauling. Hopefully you have a garden. Security 24/7, covering for illness and injuries. I don't think you could do it with less.

Say the SHTF awhile back (few months or so) There are friends/acquaintances that you have banded together with. There is no common enemy (no zombies or communists (like Red Dawn). You come upon another group or vice-versa. What is your etiquette? Shoot first and take their items, try to make contact or avoid them? these are not the only options so be free to explain your opinions and theories. Me personally, I would attempt to make contact first w/ only one person announcing themselves to make first contact while being covered from a distance by my group (much like in the movie Jarhead when they meet the nomads who had their camels stolen)

Read the book, One Second After.

i would set up some cover and make contact, if they were unarmed i'd feel alot better about it.its very iffy, alot of unsafe variables.desperate times call for desperate measures ,they may want to kill you and take your stuff.if would have to be handled very cautiously.

In order of ROE-

#1. Avoid them. First of all, you have no idea if they are a "group", raiders who look like a "group", military/police in civilian attire or contracted guys paid by the feds to "keep the peace".

#2. If contact had to be made for whatever reason, it should be done in nuetral ground and contact should be made through either letters or radios. For example, I would leave a note somewhere visible with a frequency and a time to be on that frequency to start communications.

#3. One person and one person only from each group will meet in nuetral ground...then you can do your trading or exchange of ideas and information.

I know a lot of this sounds a bit over the top, however, you have no idea who these people are, what their intentions are or how desperate their situation may be. You might have just the equipment they need or be the exact target they were paid to take out. Ever see 28 days later? Those military guys had no way to resupply. What did they do? They started a cycle band on a fixed frequency promissing the world to desperate lone survivors.

People basically brought all their supplies right to them without them ever needing to venture outside the wire. Ingenious if you ask me.

So, in this hypothetical scenario, people are uncommon?
I think there's a lot that plays into this scenario that is unsaid yet should play into whatever decision you make.

If people are uncommon and you or others are wandering, it's probably due to natural disaster and a lack of food. In this case, they will most likely be hostile...

In the movie Jarhead, the marines were insurgents who came upon a group of people going about their every day activities in what is essentially their own back yard. Still, no side wanted or needed anything from the other. They can simply make peace and go along their marry way. If these two groups were in competition for food, shelter, medicine, etc, then it would have been a much different situation. The group who lets their guard down first is the group that will go hungry, go unsheltered, or even die.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top