JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've given this a lot of thought. Hypothetically, if AR's were banned, and I'm not at this time discussing compliance with the ban or not...First, let me back up a little bit. At one time, I owned a Mossberg Predator, in .223, and 18-1/2" barrel. It's a compact bolt action rifle that uses AR magazines. I was very pleased with this rifle. Always functioned perfectly, and very accurate. But, the horse trader that I am, I sold the rifle, only to quickly wish I hadn't. So I've been looking to replace it. The model I had, had a laminated wood stock. Just yesterday, I bought another one, but with a little twist. Ended up with the Mossberg Patrol rifle. Very similar, but with a 16-1/4" barrel and synthetic stock. It also uses an AR magazine. This is a very small and handy rifle. I've not yet shot it, but if it performs like the Predator, I will be pleased. Another Ace in the Hole.:cool:

WAYNO.

Wayno, I would have figured you for a Gunsite Scout, Ruger fan that you are ;) But I see the appeal of the MVP series rifles - one of the big bonuses is compatibility with AR magazines :) Price is certainly another bonus. An equivalent MVP with laminated stock can be $200-$300 less than a Gunsite Scout, but still have the same level of quality.

I must admit, I've been eyeballing the MVP's myself. In fact, I was 'window' shopping them just this morning.

Okay, I'll bite: first off, if my scary black gun loses it's civil rights, than I'm just going to continue being an outlaw.
I have often thought about what gun, if I could only grab one, would I take if I was leaving the house and not sure what I would encounter or what the situation is: my lever action 1894 in 44 mag. Lever actions are fast in practiced hands, and indeed they were the premier 'assault' rifle from the civil war into the beginning of the 20th century, especially considering their affordability and availability.
My go to round in this gun, a handloaded 240gr XTP on top of 24.5 gr. of H110/W296 can produce a large ragged hole at 60 yards, no joke. That in combination with field craft and the wide array of skills I can bring to bear, can be a deadly combination (although so far it's only deer that have needed to fear me!)

Last Edited:
Wayno, I would have figured you for a Gunsite Scout, Ruger fan that you are ;) But I see the appeal of the MVP series rifles - one of the big bonuses is compatibility with AR magazines :) Price is certainly another bonus. An equivalent MVP with laminated stock can be $200-$300 less than a Gunsite Scout, but still have the same level of quality.

I must admit, I've been eyeballing the MVP's myself. In fact, I was 'window' shopping them just this morning.

I looked long and hard at the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifles. Non-compatiblity with M-16 mags was a deal breaker for me.

If you ever want to give this cheap little Mossberg a try, I could make that happen.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top