JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I change my input.

I'm gonna go with a bolt action 22 and a ton of ammo. Like a pallet of it, enough where I can plink all day, hunt, and likely die in peace and not have used all of it.

Since you didn't say where I had to go, I pick an island type location. Id have to do some research before time-traveling, but I'd certainly pick a place with no active volcanos. Of coarse I'll research to where no giant lizards or anything like that lived, and nice easy weather! If there are local tribes, the more the better. Tropical humans back then likely did wear a lot of clothing!

Channel Islands off the Cali coast. They had mammoth but they were "dwarf" versions.

-E-

I've had this "story" idea in my head for years; i.e., the hypothetical problem, and variations thereof.

Yesterday I searched for a book/story on Amazon along these lines, but only came across this:

The protagonists are not allowed to take any kind of weapons with them lest they change the timeline, they go back further than I project, and they are in Europe (Spain). Still, seems to be researched well and there is some aspects regarding tribes.

Interaction with the locals would be "entertaining " to say the least....after all I don't speak "Caveman" for starters.... :D
But you gotta sleep sometime...and someone else who can keep watch while you eat , bath , cook , gather plants / firewood etc....would be nice to have around.
Andy

Hmmm....My bladed items would be those below :

View attachment 864897

View attachment 864898

View attachment 864899

View attachment 864900

I probably told this story before. My maternal grandfather was an outdoorsman of the old school. I was born in the 1890s (1897?). He hunted and fished to provide for his family. He built his own smokehouse.

He made a longbow from yew wood and put buffalo horn nocks on the end. It was a work of art. He gave it to my older brother.

I was a stupid kid and I took it with me to show it off to a friend. I got the bow limb caught in the spokes of my bicycle and broke the limb near the end. :oops::eek:😪

I would have magic batteries :D

The rechargeable kind with a solar panel to recharge them.

Used sparingly they would last long enough to be a real advantage. The LIon battery in my MBP laptop lasted for years - almost a decade before it would not recharge anymore and that was with daily use. In the future I expect to see radioactive batteries for things that take very little current and have intermittent use.

What an intriguing thought experiment, thanks!

Given the parameters, I've been trying to think on what would allow for the highest weight carrying capacity. A cart of some sort, like a gorilla cart. This one is "rated" for 1,200lbs. Figure overload the bubblegum out of it by several hundred pounds. Also a surplus duffle/deployment bag, AND load bearing vest/"battle belt".

My thought being parameters presented didn't preclude shuttling gear, just what "could" be man hauled. So, man haul the above thru whatever "transit portal", unload then shuttle haul from there.

Would that be deemed acceptable & reasonable?

Oops, forgot to ad the cart link:

Last Edited:
I probably told this story before. My maternal grandfather was an outdoorsman of the old school. I was born in the 1890s (1897?). He hunted and fished to provide for his family. He built his own smokehouse.

He made a longbow from yew wood and put buffalo horn nocks on the end. It was a work of art. He gave it to my older brother.

I was a stupid kid and I took it with me to show it off to a friend. I got the bow limb caught in the spokes of my bicycle and broke the limb near the end. :oops::eek:😪
A yew bow or any self bow / composite bow made of natural materials is a work of art indeed.

Yikes on the bow vs. spokes story...:eek:
Andy

What an intriguing thought experiment, thanks!

Given the parameters, I've been trying to think on what would allow for the highest weight carrying capacity. A cart of some sort, like a gorilla cart. This one is "rated" for 1,200lbs. Figure overload the bubblegum out of it by several hundred pounds. Also a surplus duffle/deployment bag, AND load bearing vest/"battle belt".

My thought being parameters presented didn't preclude shuttling gear, just what "could" be man hauled. So, man haul the above thru whatever "transit portal", unload then shuttle haul from there.

Would that be deemed acceptable & reasonable?

Yes - you could do that. No guarantees on what the conditions would be at the specific spot you would "land" - just in general other than you wouldn't be in the middle of the ocean - it would be land, and relatively safe (not stuck on the side of a cliff). So you might not be able to move your large stash very far, if at all.

I personally would think I could not move something that weighed half a ton, regardless of how it was carried. But worst case, you would have to abandon some of it.

If I could only bring what I could carry on my person without any sort of cart or load carrying aid (firearm related), I would bring a 9mm pistol for close up encounters (Glock 17). My second choice would be a Ak74 and a 12 guage shotgun(M4 style). I would bias my ammo more towards the lighter calibers and maybe have about 30% of various shotgun ammo. I would not go after or engage large animals because even though meat can be preserved there will be no refrigeration so only hunt what can last for a few days or weeks. If I made friends and needed to harvest a bigger animal, a 12 guage 3" slug can go a long way. If i knew what terrain i would be in ahead of time my choices might change but if it was random then, yes, these would be my choice of guns and calibers. I think the greatest threat would be other humanoids as envy, bias, greed, and desire for power is part of our nature.

What if went you went back in time... and you killed someone from your family tree...would that mean that you now no longer are around either....?

Or are we working with the multiple timeline , theory of time travel...?
Andy

Thinking of this thread...and the fact that we had Archery in PE class the last two weeks...
I went out and shot a few rounds in my back yard....fun for sure.

If you haven't tried archery...you might be missing out.

Like I told my students , when I brought in my bows and arrows to class....
Archery can be traditional like mine...or modern with the compound bows that you shoot...
Either way , you will have fun...and its a nice way to exercise , along with practicing trust and responsibility.
Andy

Last Edited:
Oops, you're correct; read the dating wrong. Still time-travel fun to be had. :s0155:
15,000 years ago would be modern humans. Pre-Clovis. Judging from size of points they had spears, not bows. And most likely came from Beringia down the west coast by boat. There's still controversy about this vs the Clovis First theory. But each decade there is more evidence for human settlement of NA predating Clovis by thousands of years. Anyway, if you believe Clovis First, part of that model is that there would be no humans here in 15,000.

My guess is the most dangerous creatures to you would be humans. And a gun firing would announce the presence of something new and bring any humans searching on full alert.

It takes a groomed path to support the use of wheeled vehicles. A canoe or rowboat set down on a stretch of river might be a better option. And with kit more aimed at quiet fishing and trapping and hiding rather than hunting. With hunting by trapping or bow rather than firearm.

You would be unlikely to win the favor of humans by playing healer. Even if you are already familiar with the healing herbs in some specific area now, those may not have existed then. Modern drugs have the same ussues as ammo. No resupply. The Younger Dryas, a sudden return to glacial conditions for a couple thousand years or so, happened between then and now and rearranged the flora and fauna quite a bit. A viable human community would likely have seriously competent healers of their own. You might be able to set broken bones or sew up cuts. But would likely be killed if the patient died. Contagious diseases to the extent they existed would be different from those you know anything about, even if you are a modern doctor.

The real contribution you might be able to make might be bow making and use. pre-clovis may not have had bows at all. If they did, their bows were unlikely to be as sophisticated or powerful as the recurved bows made of wood, bone, and hide of the Mongols. Or the English long bows made of Yew, with each being part heart wood and part ordinary wood to create a composite effect. So if you know how to use and make such bows, that might be your ticket to survival. If you survived the first encounter. If a young female, you would probably be enslaved for a few years to life, no matter what you did or didn't know. But the upside is that you would be way more likely to survive the first encounter.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top