JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing precludes you from taking both archery and firearms, no contraints on anything except weight and size constraints - whatever you can take with you that you can haul on foot - no pack animals or motorized vehicles.

I personally would go for something like the Dixon roller pack, but custom built to my specs, and I would have most of my gear on that hauling mechanism - it would also serve as a game hauler.

I would probably have some kind of archery (maybe a take down bow and a crossbow) and spear and other gear, but I was more interested in what firearms would be taken - the rest would be interesting too, but I have my own preferences there (knives, my Half-a-Chance parang, my British belt axe, probably a regular full sized axe, a folding bow saw or two with spare blades, survival augers and so on).

But back to firearms, the fact that there would be no resupply allows me to choose something beyond common calibers because there would be no interchanging of ammo with anybody else, so what I would have would be it - so no downsides to magnums/etc. with regards to getting more ammo. Maybe a BP muzzle loading barrel for a T/C Encore - but caps/primers would still be an issue, and making BP? Not sure about making BP powder from materials found in nature - not to mention I would still need projectiles and/or something to cast them - weight wise it might just be better to take the equivalent weight in ammo.
One can make black powder...Just ask Captain Kirk.... :D
Seriously though one could do so...and if flint were around and lead.....you'd be in business.

As much as I love my Hawken Rifle or a good 03A3....
A bow , spear and knife...would be more to my liking.
I have in the past made bows , arrows and points...for both spears and arrows from flint and obsidian.

Again my idea would be to survive...and as useful as a firearm is..and as much as I like 'em....they would "outlive" there usefulness here in this scenario.

As well as , I am not the apex being here....a bow and spear will make me hunt and live a certain way and with a certain mindset...knowing that I don't have a gun , may make me more cautious.
Andy

Could also go AR10 size and get things like 45-70 rimless, 375 raptor, and many others that shoot heavy bullets in the 2000 FPS range as well as subsonic.

I don't think long range shooting will help much. But with an AR based weapon, you could have a separate upper and ammo to change the primary close range short barrel rifle into a long distance shooter.

I would say that it would be 2 tomahawks, long bow, hickory quarter staff, my schrade knife, katana, my Henry 45-70 and couple "bushcraft" knives. The 45-70 is when I'm basically royally fubared and it's a last ditch effort to stay alive. Other than that... I agree with @Andy54Hawken and avoidance is critical unless you are looking for food.

Would something like this be allowed?

1618702892945.jpeg

Just better make sure it doesn't have a "thing that goes up" or isn't scary and black....
.... otherwise, a slightly younger Nancy Pelosi will hunt you down and try to take it from you.

or a .... Pelosidon ?

Could also go AR10 size and get things like 45-70 rimless, 375 raptor, and many others that shoot heavy bullets in the 2000 FPS range as well as subsonic.

I don't think long range shooting will help much. But with an AR based weapon, you could have a separate upper and ammo to change the primary close range short barrel rifle into a long distance shooter.

I just would not feel the need for a semi except with other humans. With fauna I would hunt mostly from a distance when using a firearm. The advantage of a non-semi would be the versatility of the ammo, low power to magnum level, and not worry about functioning.

I would also try to make friends with the locals. Obviously trying to sneak up on them would be impossible but if I brought them food and offered it or something else I would rather have a group of people. Maybe show them some of my skills and then they would consider me a friend.

Would something like this be allowed?

View attachment 864446

Whatever you could manipulate without a motor. I personally would not go for a tricycle. Remember that there would be no roads and trails would be foot paths - often over rough terrain. A bicycle with a single wheeled trailer would be better, but you would not necessarily be in a hurry to get anywhere.

I just would not feel the need for a semi except with other humans. With fauna I would hunt mostly from a distance when using a firearm. The advantage of a non-semi would be the versatility of the ammo, low power to magnum level, and not worry about functioning.
I still like the idea of having 30 rounds available or more available. Mostly due to the fact that humans that existed back then hunted in great numbers. They used to take down mastodons.If they chose to hunt me. 50 (or more) on 1 doesn't sound fun. They may be terrified of a firearm, but if they got smart enough to hunt me, it wouldn't be in small numbers.

I am thinking "long range" would be 100 yards or so, behind cover. The danger of using archery or spear, would be the close distance, and the lesser killing power (in a short time - a properly placed bullet of sufficient power being able to put down even a bison sized creature quickly).

Bear in mind that these animals would not be used to being hunted at that distance. I would not hunt predators, only meat animals, and I would not bother with something that is elephant sized unless I was trying to feed a tribe sized group of people, and even then, I would think that a mammoth/mastodon would be in a herd which might then turn on a human hunter - I am assuming that mammoths/mastodons would be as intelligent as elephants. A bison or maybe musk ox would be a better choice if available.

I would also try to make friends with the locals. Obviously trying to sneak up on them would be impossible but if I brought them food and offered it or something else I would rather have a group of people. Maybe show them some of my skills and then they would consider me a friend.

There is safety in numbers - especially if it is a relatively peaceful tribe/clan. There is nothing precluding the time traveler from bringing heirloom seeds to plant and help with agriculture.

Actually even the Native Americans that were here just before the colonial settlers would drive the Buffalo into a kill box or off a steep cliff. It falls and becomes injured and then just go up and finish the job. I also know how to trap, set snares and other things. Then there's always punji sticks.

I change my input.

I'm gonna go with a bolt action 22 and a ton of ammo. Like a pallet of it, enough where I can plink all day, hunt, and likely die in peace and not have used all of it.

Since you didn't say where I had to go, I pick an island type location. Id have to do some research before time-traveling, but I'd certainly pick a place with no active volcanos. Of coarse I'll research to where no giant lizards or anything like that lived, and nice easy weather! If there are local tribes, the more the better. Tropical humans back then likely did wear a lot of clothing!

I still like the idea of having 30 rounds available or more available. Mostly due to the fact that humans that existed back then hunted in great numbers. They used to take down mastodons.If they chose to hunt me. 50 (or more) on 1 doesn't sound fun. They may be terrified of a firearm, but if they got smart enough to hunt me, it wouldn't be in small numbers.

A P90/Five Seven combo with 200+ rounds of ammo would be a start. I would prefer to make friends with them though. I would prefer to arrive near relatively peaceful clans. I am given to understand that most in the PNW were peaceful but not sure what they were like thousands of years before "white man" arrive here.

I change my input.

I'm gonna go with a bolt action 22 and a ton of ammo. Like a pallet of it, enough where I can plink all day, hunt, and likely die in peace and not have used all of it.

Since you didn't say where I had to go, I pick an island type location. Id have to do some research before time-traveling, but I'd certainly pick a place with no active volcanos. Of coarse I'll research to where no giant lizards or anything like that lived, and nice easy weather! If there are local tribes, the more the better. Tropical humans back then likely did wear a lot of clothing!

North America

One thing to consider with tribes....is tribal mentality...

As in you are in the tribe or not...if not....you are fair game for anything to happen to you good or bad , depending on the circumstances at the time.
Andy

Well, if the 1985 film My Science Project is a reliable guide to time travel, I suppose an M16A1 or one with an underslung grenade launcher.

800px-Scienceproject11.jpg

Scienceproject9.jpg

Scienceproject16.jpg

Wait, dinosaurs? Sorry, I'm way off.

Hmmm ... 15,000 years ago, eh? Human evolution is well on they way, but this is still just before the Neolithic age. Weapons to take? Whatever has the most shock and awe, I guess. Might as well pass myself off as a wizard, prophet, or whatever, because if one is going to royally screw up the time line, why not go full gonzo and see what things look like in the future after said antics. :p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top