JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This morning my wife woke me up saying she heard a loud boom "like something hit the house" then the furnace kicked on amd both of us started to smell some sort of burning smell. i went to the garage (with my pistol lol) and hit the breaker to shut off the furnace not having a clue what might be happening being 3AM.

so far, i know the house isnt on fire so thats good.

my question is do i call a local HVAC company to come out and inspect the furnace or is there some stuff i can check myself before making a call?

ive checked the filters, theyre good. also, nothing feels hot around the furnace. the burning smell has kind of disappated once i shut off the breaker.

house built in '94 and i think the furnace may be original.

I would look into the capacitor on the fan/blower motor. burning smell.... was it electrical scented or other?
gas heat or electric?
not an hvac guy by trade but a jack of all trades!

if it isnt real evident, and you dont know, spend the money and get a reputable service company out that has good trouble shooting skills. if gas, I would also lean towards a delayed burner ignite for whatever reason, tends to be common with temp inversions at times.

Did it smell like burning rubber maybe? I would see if there is a structural failure in the bearings or blower housing and the motor was spinning the sheave on the belt if so.

My local hvac vendor for work says he know does 90% of his hvac purchases for parts off amazon.
Of all his distributors, wholesalers, and manufacturers they are hands down the cheapest.

I do some HVAC maintenance at work, but PMs mostly. Sadly I know more about commercial units than my own in my house

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top