JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to Douglas Ridge for my second Appleseed shoot this weekend. After making a terrible mistake yesterday (one shouldn't move the scope in the middle of the shoot :s0131:) I made rifleman today :woot:

Shot a 209 on the first qualifier :s0054: but upped it to a 217 on round 2 :s0155:

If you have any doubt about the validity of Appleseed let me tell you; I went from virtually never having shot a rifle to rifleman in 3.25 days of training.

The teaching is solid. You will get a ton of time behind the trigger (ate a whole box of 525 this weekend). It's a heck of a lot of fun even in the rain.

The RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) sole function is Project Appleseed....We put on rifle shooting clinics teaching folks how to shoot from field positions (Offhand (standing), sitting or kneeling and prone) we teach the fundamentals and skills necessary to hit a 20" target at 500 yards.

Tied to that we teach the history of April 19, 1775...The battles of Concorde and Lexington.and the shot heard 'round the world.

Visi <broken link removed> to find out more....

The 2011 schedule will be coming out soon...visit the site often as shoots are added as they are scheduled.... We are hoping to return to Douglas Ridge near Estacada OR and have shoots planned in Castle Rock WA...We are always looking for new venues.

Thanks for your interest.

W44

Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA) puts on a program called The Appleseed Project . The basic premise is a military style rifle training to teach you to shoot at 4MOA with a historcial flare describing the events of April 19th, 1775.

Day 1 is training: Safty, Shooting prone, using a sling, steps to taking the shot, adjusting your sights, Natural Point of Aim (npoa) and then timed drills.

Training is done at 25yds w/targets that mimic what a man sized target would look like at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards.

Day 2 does a brief overview of day 1 but most of the day is spent shooting qualifications.

The qualification is a 40 round series of targets:
10 shots offhand (standing) at a single target
10 transition shots (2 shots, reload 8 shots or 2 and 8) standing to secondary position (sitting/knealing) at 2 targets
10 transition shots (2 and 8) standing to prone at 3 targets
10 shots prone at 4 targets

There's a possible 250 points. Any score over 210 gives you the rank of rifleman.

Cost is nominal at $70 for both days of shooting +range fee(in this case $10) and ammo. Women, kids and military shoot for free.

They encourage you to shoot 'whatever you have' but a semi auto, mag fed .22 w/a military style sling is ideal (10/22, 597 etc).

There are some 'hidden' costs like lunch both days, ammo for whatever you choose to shoot, range fee, pay pal fee, a sling & rings, extra mags, a shooting matt etc. Of course the sky is the limit and you may already have a lot of the equipment.

I really do think you need to go twice to really put it all together but maybe I'm just slow and needed the 2nd time through :winkkiss:

There was something for everyone. My FIL with lots of experience, my 11yo with no experience and me with handgun experience only all learned and improved our shooting.

Another point is it is a VERY family friendly environment. There were 4 or 5 kids (8-11) each day and they all made progress.

The RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) sole function is Project Appleseed....We put on rifle shooting clinics teaching folks how to shoot from field positions (Offhand (standing), sitting or kneeling and prone) we teach the fundamentals and skills necessary to hit a 20" target at 500 yards.

Tied to that we teach the history of April 19, 1775...The battles of Concorde and Lexington.and the shot heard 'round the world.

Visi <broken link removed> to find out more....

The 2011 schedule will be coming out soon...visit the site often as shoots are added as they are scheduled.... We are hoping to return to Douglas Ridge near Estacada OR and have shoots planned in Castle Rock WA...We are always looking for new venues.

Thanks for your interest.

W44

What would be required to have and Appleseed event held locally? Does it have to be a legit range or just something adequate for a bunch of people to shoot at 25yds? Basically I'd like to do this but don't want to travel or have an overnight stay involved.

What would be required to have and Appleseed event held locally? Does it have to be a legit range or just something adequate for a bunch of people to shoot at 25yds? Basically I'd like to do this but don't want to travel or have an overnight stay involved.
A safe place to shoot with an adequate backstop is all that is required...Insurance provided..Cannot be public land unless it is a designated range...PM me if you have an idea..

W44

I was there too. I had been meaning to attend the last 2 ones as well, but that whole "work" thing tends to get in the way. I'll echo what everyone else has said. I was a total novice on Saturday morning, barely able to hit the paper of the target. By the last series, I was doing about 4 inch groups. I was unable to attend Sunday (that whole "work" thing again), so I'm definitely looking forward to the next one in the area.

I've never been to any kind of training, so I don't know how this compares to others, but I learned a lot and feel a lot more comfortable and confident about my skills. Castle Rock is only a few miles farther from me than Douglas Ridge, so I'll probably attend whichever one comes up next.

I took my son to the Appleseed event held at Douglas Ridge in November. I really hoped to have made it last weekend, but we had too much going on. I would recommend it to anyone who is new to shooting, or an experienced shooter wanting to dial in their skills. The kids at the event looked like they were having a great time. I hope to see some of you next year, I would really like to get that "Rifleman" patch.

Way to go Kimber!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top