JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would check with any remaining family FIRST before selling anything.

Your husband may have promised certain items to cousins, nieces or nephews.

My Great Uncle had a dozen captured WW II rifles that he set aside for when I turned 18. After he passed a neighbor spied them in the garage and offered my Great Aunt about a tenth of their worth cash for "the whole lot of that old junk". I am still pissed about that.
This!!! Is great advice. Some of those guns or items may be worth MORE than monetary value to a family member.
Some may even have almost no value now, but at one point made cherished memories to someone who would love to fix it up regardless of cost.

Sorry for your loss.

I would also note be somewhat cautious about having people over to the house to look at stuff. Vet them somewhat they already know your home alone and a female. Unfortunately we live in that kind of world. *sometimes*
Theres plenty good people here though.
Theres a feedback system here. To leave positive feedback for transactions not saying its fool proof but its something.
You can click on someones "icon" or "badge" aka picture for lack of a better term to see their feedback in green/red/black

Last Edited:
My condolences,

I was referred to this site by a Tigard police officer when I called to ask what I could do with my late husband's ammunition and things.
I am not knowledgeable about what he left behind an am seeking help in making sure his ammunition, gun belts, gun accessories, etc go to a lawful gun owner and not someone with bad intentions.

I don't see any mention of actual firearms in your post, just accessories, ammunition, etc...
Have his firearms already been legally been disposed of to family, friends, relatives?

I would check with any remaining family FIRST before selling anything.

Your husband may have promised certain items to cousins, nieces or nephews.

My Great Uncle had a dozen captured WW II rifles that he set aside for when I turned 18. After he passed a neighbor spied them in the garage and offered my Great Aunt about a tenth of their worth cash for "the whole lot of that old junk". I am still pissed about that.

Good advice, but before doing that, it is still good to know the value of things before sharing with family so that a person can have an idea of what the value is.

When my father died I got most of his guns because I gave him many of them, but we tried to be fair with regards to value, sentimentality and my father's wishes. When my mother died the rest of the estate was divided too - mostly along lines of value and what each person desired. My brothers did most of the estimates for value.

Also, learn about the legal aspects of transferring firearms - for "close" family (including in-laws) there are exceptions, but you do need to follow the law.

Hello community-
I was referred to this site by a Tigard police officer when I called to ask what I could do with my late husband's ammunition and things.

I am not knowledgeable about what he left behind an am seeking help in making sure his ammunition, gun belts, gun accessories, etc go to a lawful gun owner and not someone with bad intentions.
Was hoping to place an ad in your classified section but, am unsure the best way to do that.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Nicole G
there are many links here for information on how to do what you want.

Peace to you, and Godspeed to your Husband.

I second @Reno's recommendation of @Velzey. Tim is a great guy, very trustworthy and has a great family to boot.
I'll be forward in suggesting, if you are advanced in age and transportation is an issue, I'm happy to drive you out to @Velzey's place, as I have some gun items to pick up there.
Would be happy to provide references on request.

This paragraph is intended for NWFA readers, not including you @Nicole G :
  1. Wills, codicils, health care directives and trusts are very important to have, especially if you are married, have children or have considerable assets. There's a whole subset of laws - wills, trusts and estates, which many lawyers specialize in and only a few do well. I can personally recommend Wayne Kinkade and Jeff Moore at Saalfeld Griggs in Salem. They know their stuff.
  2. It's a long standing joke among gun guys, "I hope my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I *say* I paid for them!!". Smart thing is, you should have a list of them, what you think they are worth, and if you want someone to have them, to whom they are designated. Even smarter thing is, give or sell them before it's too late.
  3. @Nick Burkhardt , I can totally feel your upset. My neighbor, ages ago, loaned me her husband's K-Bar to do some knife work. He was a marine in WWII, and by every account I heard, one hard man. I was still in possession of it when she died of a stroke shortly after. When the daughter showed up, I handed it back, "your mother loaned this to me, I guess it was your dad's". She cried.

Hello community-

Was hoping to place an ad in your classified section but, am unsure the best way to do that.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Nicole G

Nicole,

I am sorry for your loss for you and your family.

I can not speak highly enough of Glen with Click NW Arms in, Dundee. Glen buys estates and has helped quite a few with the very questions you just ask. He is also a sponsor of this forum and a stand-up person. You can reach Glen at 503-899-2575.

Sorry for your loss, I would like to add to be careful some people and businesses try to take advantage of widows who come in with their husband's gun collection. Obviously, if you have to have someone sell his stuff they will want a part of it for their time and service but some firearms have great collectors value and some stuff like ammo is retailing for a lot more than it was a year ago. Just at least have a ballpark idea of worth and go with someone you can trust.

I sent you a message with an offer to help. I have a ffl friend that does estate sales, guns included I can refer you to as well. Just let me know should you have not already found someone to help.

First I'm sorry for your loss, I don't know what Id do without my wife!
If I had to liquidate my wife's things that I don't know much about I would consign them at a specialty shop[ in this case gun shop] They handle the sale for a commission. The more they sell it for the better their commission. And if there is a lot of stuff I would not sell it all at once. As a large bundle you wont get as much. Take in one large box a week. The shop pays you for what has sold at the end of the week and you drop another box. This has advantages for the shop too. They get to tell customers that you will be back each week. and that gets guys dropping in weekly to see what's new! Good Luck, DR

Welcome to the NWFA forum. My condolences on the loss of your husband.

It looks like you have some good leads already for help.

May the Lord provide comfort to you and your family in this time of transition. May he provide you strength and resilience when you need it most. May God bless you with the help you need. In Jesus name, Amen. Fair Winds and Following Seas for your husband.

Just remember when selling, start high and have patience. If something sells in the first ten minutes, you weren't asking enough. If no one contacts you after two weeks you might be a tad high. Even overpriced items may find a buyer depending on desire. Take it from an old used car salesman " there is a butt for every seat"!

My condolences for your loss.

I would contact @Velzey as indicated above by others; or else post on this thread what guns you have that you want to sell; members can say what they think the guns are worth. Don't sell them until you know their value. Either take photos and paste them here, or write down the words and numbers found on the gun barrel, etc for each gun. Or go to gunbroker.com and type those words in and see if similar guns pop up and what they are selling for. You can also just type the words and numbers into Google and see what pops up.

PS Be careful - assume the guns are loaded - do not touch the trigger and keep it pointed in a safe direction, like at the floor if there is no one on the floor below.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads