Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hunting siuslaw ?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by herman76, Feb 27, 2011.

1. herman76

herman76 sherwood or Member

Hello, I like to try elk hunting for the first time ,any advice on the siuslaw state forest ?

2. usmc

usmc oregon Active Member

not much of a good spot for a first time. very steep,brushy and easy to get turned around.but i guess that could be said about all hunting areas lol.

3. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

I lived there for 8 years. Almost everything about the Siuslaw favors the animal, and thwarts the hunter. Sure, you could lucky and spot a bull while you're parking...

Don't take getting lost lightly, the ground is steep, wet, and the foggy ridges fold in on each other confusingly. An unprepared night in the Cummins Creek basin would not be a fun experience.

4. herman76

Hey thanks for the advice, i'll think better about it,I am gona look at the wilson unit.

5. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

The key to hunting any area is getting to know it. If your planing to hunt in the Siuslaw or the Wilson the best thing you can do is get out there as many times as you can before the starter of Elk season. The Wilson can be just as steep and forbidding as any. Compass, map, GPS and knowing how to use them can pay dividends. Take a look at Google earth while comparing it to maps also. Have fun and Good luck!

6. herman76

Thanks , i'll keep all in mind.