JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just wondering if anybody here has any rituals? I was thinking about going with more of a eating the heart of my 1st kill. Anybody ever done that or have their own ritual they want to share?

Huh? How would not wasting a Lb or more of good meat be a ritual? Of all the Deer I have harvested over the years Only a handful have I not ate the Liver and Heart and except for 1-2 it was because that particular organ was blown to bits. The 1-2 it was because something didn't look quite right about the liver so it wasn't carefully cleaned and put into a plastic bag to go home to be smothered in carmalized Sweet onions and served with Mashed potatoes and brown gravy.

for second season of bow season me an a buddy have been eating idahoan baby red instant mashed potatoes on the second day for dinner with our NY steaks washed down with some BV and coke for the last couple years if that counts

My brother took Dad to deer camp with a few buddies. Dad got a kill. That night around the camp fire, someone started 'The Liver Dance". They each pranced around the fire holding a piece of raw liver. At the end of their dance, they swallowed the raw piece (or at least that's what Dad thought they did!). In actuality, they had slipped the piece off to the side of their mouth and from the side angle view, it looked like they ate it.

Well now, it was Dad's turn. Yep. He ate it. And all had a good laugh!

Long live The Liver Dance!

Or is it set up camp 3 days before season opens, eat to much food stay up telling storys until 3 or 4 in the morning. Set out opening morning 1 1/2 hours before first light feeling like some one should put you out of your missery.

I say a quick prayer of thanks and take a minute to take it all in after a kill. There are a few sentimental items I always have with me though like the knife my dad made me, a necklace I made from an arrow head I picked up and I string my whistlers on and other gee-gaws that probably wouldn't mean much to anyone else...

I don't too often go to "hunting camp" most my trips are solo or close to home but there's always a bottle of Pendleton in the freezer or ice chest from late August til the last day of season. It always gets emptied for one way or another (celebrations or boo-hoo tag soup party) I did hear of a good one that was: If a guy muffed a shot he had to go pin his hat to the target (archery) and pace 20 steps. Everyone else in camp got a free shot with a broad head on :) sounded like a good one

Last Edited:
Standing over my first deer with my dad taking it all in we were talking about what happens when you kill a deer from a spiritual/emotional viewpoint on both the giving and receiving side. He told me how it was common in some cultures to place some fresh shoots of forage in the mouth of your prey, how the Indians believed the steam escaping from the wound was its spirit ascending into the next life and wrapped it up with how it was customary in some cultures to take a bite of the still warm liver. He said, "I'm not going to MAKE you do any of those but it's some things to think about." I've NEVER liked liver cooked or otherwise and he knew that. I looked up at him like I had just seen an ghost and said, "There's no f------ way I'm doing that." That was the first time I dropped an F-bomb in front of my parents. He about fell over and had to sit down he was laughing so hard.
Good memory :)

We still packed the liver out because Papa Bernie loved it and even though he's long gone now I still pack it out and give it away to someone else who will enjoy it

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top