Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

hunting rituals?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by fatamos33, Apr 29, 2014.

1. fatamos33

fatamos33 Oregon Member

I was just wondering if anybody here has any rituals? I was thinking about going with more of a eating the heart of my 1st kill. Anybody ever done that or have their own ritual they want to share?

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Huh? How would not wasting a Lb or more of good meat be a ritual? Of all the Deer I have harvested over the years Only a handful have I not ate the Liver and Heart and except for 1-2 it was because that particular organ was blown to bits. The 1-2 it was because something didn't look quite right about the liver so it wasn't carefully cleaned and put into a plastic bag to go home to be smothered in carmalized Sweet onions and served with Mashed potatoes and brown gravy.

3. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

for second season of bow season me an a buddy have been eating idahoan baby red instant mashed potatoes on the second day for dinner with our NY steaks washed down with some BV and coke for the last couple years if that counts

mjbskwim and Cogs like this.
  4. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I used to eat everything I shot....:p
    Uncle Sam cured me of that..:eek:

Jack...:cool:

5. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Nothing more than squeeze the trigger.

6. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

'Course, you weren't there...pussy. I'm in a camouflage deer blind, I got grease paint on my face, I had deer urine on my boots—I'm not sure why.

-Ron White

clambo likes this.
  7. WashCoDad

WashCoDad Beanerton Active Member

After the kill is when the work starts.... no time for a "ritual" .... sounds like an episode of Grimm to me...

8. jebediah

jebediah Aloha Active Member

Tag it, gut it, drag it to the truck, skin it, clean it up at camp, wrap up in game bags, hang it, open up a bottle a bottle of, Jim Beam and throw the cap away

Jamie6.5, Cogs and orygun like this.
  9. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

My brother took Dad to deer camp with a few buddies. Dad got a kill. That night around the camp fire, someone started 'The Liver Dance". They each pranced around the fire holding a piece of raw liver. At the end of their dance, they swallowed the raw piece (or at least that's what Dad thought they did!). In actuality, they had slipped the piece off to the side of their mouth and from the side angle view, it looked like they ate it.

Well now, it was Dad's turn. Yep. He ate it. And all had a good laugh!

Long live The Liver Dance!

gallogiro and salmonriverjohn like this.
  10. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Yep - typically more fiction than fact.

11. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

August 1st. stop shaving until you put an Elk on the ground. I started shaving again anyway.

12. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Or is it set up camp 3 days before season opens, eat to much food stay up telling storys until 3 or 4 in the morning. Set out opening morning 1 1/2 hours before first light feeling like some one should put you out of your missery.

mjbskwim and Cogs like this.
  13. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yep I carry my great grandfathers knife that he made out of a trap spring. My grandfather also carried it.. I bet that thing has skinned hundreds of animals!!

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  14. BullsBucksandBoars

BullsBucksandBoars The right place at the right time, OR Active Member

I say a quick prayer of thanks and take a minute to take it all in after a kill. There are a few sentimental items I always have with me though like the knife my dad made me, a necklace I made from an arrow head I picked up and I string my whistlers on and other gee-gaws that probably wouldn't mean much to anyone else...

I don't too often go to "hunting camp" most my trips are solo or close to home but there's always a bottle of Pendleton in the freezer or ice chest from late August til the last day of season. It always gets emptied for one way or another (celebrations or boo-hoo tag soup party) I did hear of a good one that was: If a guy muffed a shot he had to go pin his hat to the target (archery) and pace 20 steps. Everyone else in camp got a free shot with a broad head on :) sounded like a good one

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    salmonriverjohn and Cogs like this.
  15. wscott577

wscott577 Phonix New Member

Thanks for great thread!

16. BullsBucksandBoars

Standing over my first deer with my dad taking it all in we were talking about what happens when you kill a deer from a spiritual/emotional viewpoint on both the giving and receiving side. He told me how it was common in some cultures to place some fresh shoots of forage in the mouth of your prey, how the Indians believed the steam escaping from the wound was its spirit ascending into the next life and wrapped it up with how it was customary in some cultures to take a bite of the still warm liver. He said, "I'm not going to MAKE you do any of those but it's some things to think about." I've NEVER liked liver cooked or otherwise and he knew that. I looked up at him like I had just seen an ghost and said, "There's no f------ way I'm doing that." That was the first time I dropped an F-bomb in front of my parents. He about fell over and had to sit down he was laughing so hard.
    Good memory :)

We still packed the liver out because Papa Bernie loved it and even though he's long gone now I still pack it out and give it away to someone else who will enjoy it

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    salmonriverjohn likes this.
  17. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

Strip buck nekkid, go find me a doe, stick her hind legs in my boots. Fire water make Native American crazy as bubblegum !

18. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

You are one wild and crazy kinda guy!

19. Stump

Stump Westeren Washington New Member

Forgetting my wife's birthday, Nov 5th.

wscott577, Cogs and MTpockets like this.
  20. BullsBucksandBoars

That's my wife's birthday too, it sucks lol! And my daughters is the week before bow season starts