JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there,

Trying to configure my Mossberg 100 ATR with a Nikon P308 scope. It has 4 inches of eye relief, which is nice and all, but the problem this is giving me is that the stock isn't long enough for that amount of eye relief. Also I had to mount the scope at a height that allows the bolt to cycle of course, which in turn has put me higher up on the rifle and doesn't allow me a good cheek weld.

What are the common solutions to this?

The OEM recommended P308 scope rings are offset 1 inch so I could use that, but that seems odd for a hunting rifle and I've not seen it done. Conversely, I could maybe find some stock spacers to increase Length of pull letting me get further back.

What about the cheek weld? I found a buttostock bag and added it, but it's still a good 3/4" short. I can add more material under it I suppose, but I'd like to know what others are doing for this?

Pacific Canvas and Leather has nice leather lace on GI type cheek pads.
SARCO has a rubber butt pad made for the 03 series of rifles that will add about an inch or so.
Maybe a new stock?
Or as Joe suggested change scopes ...
Andy

I think given the objective lense of the scope, any scope of this size is going to sit around the same height. Honestly I can't see the cheek weld I get being any good for anything other than iron sights anyways.

SARCO, good to know. What do you mean by 03 series of rifles? Is the 100ATR included in that series?

When I was being taught to shoot, the coach, who was a former Commonwealth champion rifle shootist, got me to put the rifle up to my shoulder. His word was that the stock should be long enough to allow the upper and lower arm to make a right-angle at the elbow.

He said lots more, but that was it for LOP.

tac

It is a rubber slip on pad made for the 1903 Springfield and 03A3 rifles.
I have used these on other rifles and shotguns and it seems fit well.
Around $40 its not expensive to try and its not a permanent change to your rifle.
Andy

Last Edited:
Look at Brownells for the Remington 870 shotgun cheek riser pad and the mossberg 500 series LOP shim kit's Both are really good at helping these problems! You could also do one of these.
IMG_2470.jpg

That's not a bad idea. Just drilled through the stock? My stock isn't anything special so i wouldn't mind that.
Correct! I haven't done one of these my self yet, but I see guys and gals with them all the time, seems to work really well! You could probably get some kydex and long screws at the local hardware store and make the whole thing your self!

IMO:
Fix cheek weld first that should fix eye relief then figure out how much more LOP you need to get it comfortable.

That's just my opinion though.

Getting the above posted riser is a cheap start. It's +1 in my book.

Is the stock on the mossberg wood or composite? If composite, the cheek rest above would be my #1. If wood, there are a number of ways to modify the buttstock and leave it adjustable. One of which is to cut a section from the upper portion of the butt and install threaded rods and knurled nuts. Many opt to find a new piece of wood and shape to fit what they want. Both simple but more involved. The lop is adjustable by making spacers. That is a personal choice...

Synthetic. I think the stuff you describe is just like what we do with trap guns and wood stocks.

I'll try and find some spacers and see about riser for my cheek weld akin to the one above.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top