JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course people say tastes like chicken, because all they know to do is dredge it in flower and fry it up like a piece of fried chicken. any thing "chicken" fried will remind you of chicken. leave the thing whole and stuff the belly cavity with fiddle heads and other savory herbs. jam a stick through it and throw it over the fire. the flames will burn the fur off and the skin will save what little moisture there is in the meat. any thing but deep frying it like Chicken.

I ate quite a few rabbits when I was younger. In stews. The stews did not taste like chicken though. It had a gamier taste to it. But it was delicious. I cant tell you what was in the stew because I don't remember. But I imagine make some type of vegetable stew, then adding the boiled rabbit to it would be how I would do it.

It takes alot of rabbits to feed a family I bet. Like frog legs. Yummmm....

Here frogeeee..:smash:

Of course people say tastes like chicken, because all they know to do is dredge it in flower and fry it up like a piece of fried chicken. any thing "chicken" fried will remind you of chicken. leave the thing whole and stuff the belly cavity with fiddle heads and other savory herbs. jam a stick through it and throw it over the fire. the flames will burn the fur off and the skin will save what little moisture there is in the meat. any thing but deep frying it like Chicken.

Back on the Old Continent we used to make lambs like that. We stuffed their belly with a mixture of vegetables, spices, ground meat, and we used to make a hole in the dirt, burn wood till oit was just made into charcoals ... put the lamb back and cover with dirt. 2 hours later you would eat that lmab and would think you're in heaven ... that tasty it was ... makes me drool just thinking of it. :s0114:

Be aware of ticks on the eastern rabbits. Ticks carry rocky mountain spotted fever and bubonic plague. Watch yourself closely as you skin the rabbit.

jj

Be aware of ticks on the eastern rabbits. Ticks carry rocky mountain spotted fever and bubonic plague. Watch yourself closely as you skin the rabbit.

jj

+1:s0155:
We go out to Burns area to shoot jack-rabbits, get asked all the time why we don't eat them... disease and it's just plain tough meat.
Did raise rabbits for 4H for several years though, was too much work to go "show" them for some amazing blue ribbons so I just started raising them to eat! NOM NOM

jj

Also consider that all wild rodents are utterly swarming with FLEAS, and these swarms of fleas will attempt to jump onto YOU. I still shudder from the memory! Unless you are starving this might be something that makes wild rabbit too much trouble to bother with! Domestic farmed rabbits should not have this issue....................elsullo

You couldn't pay me to eat a Jackrabbit from eastern oregon, full of disease, worms, ticks and fleas as others have said.

Now the cute little cottontail rabbits on the west side, that's another story...

I have butchered and ate my fair share of rabbits.

Taste like chicken? Not so much.

Scream when you’re killing them? Most of the time.

Great source of protein? Absolutely.

Are they dirty, Tic and Flea infested? Yes, but the question was could they be used as a food source if the SHTF? For sure!

If you’re hungry enough you will eat almost anything. Even my neighbors are on the menu if the SHTF :)

I was wondering if rabbits could be a source of food in SHTF. This would be mostly in eastern Wa in a bug out plan. Some one said that they are poor in protien?. I have thought about raising rabbits aswell has hunting them in the wild. Any Suggestions?
All rodents are a good survival food. It takes about 30 seconds to clean and skin em. Guinne Pigs are a better bet than rabbits as live stock, they are more robust and handle colder weather, it's the national dish of Peru!

hunting is a poor survival strategy, TRAPPING is a much better way to go.

agreed.

1.1258207574.tiger-trap-2-in-action.jpg

All this talk about low fat rabbits reminds me of an event that occured back in the Winter of '91; I was out doing night photography of anazi ruins with a full moon as back drop and as a result I high centered my SUV, made camp. the next morning I discovered I had stopped on a rabbit warren! I unlimbered the 10-22 and had 2 rabbits in the pot for breaky. After they were done cooking I looked to see how much fat there was in the pot, less than a tea spoon of fat!

My ex's dad used to make rabbit and dumplings and rabbit stew all the time. He had some land with some cattle and an alfalfa barn and there were always cotton tails around. About once a week he would get 3 or 4 rabbits and make a good dinner.

my dad both hunted and raised rabbits. As kids I ate it fried bbq'd and stewed. My father only hunted cotton tails as he said Jack rabbits were to tough and stringy, but if your hungry boil the heck out of it like the old stewing chickens.:s0155:

My son and I (11 years old) have been discussing wanting to chow down on some rabbit this summer but I don't think we'll be going with the wild type.

Any local places (Corvallis/Albany/Philomath) that carry this 'oddity'?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top