JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I second the opinion that leather is much better at keeping your feet dry than GoreTex.
To me, the weight of the boot is one of the most important considerations. After a few miles it really starts to make a difference.
I used to be a big fan of Danner but lately I've been wearing Asolo, Meindl or Lowa.
Wearing Meindl Vacuum right now and I love them.
For socks, Smart Wool.

Leather and a waterproof membrane work best in my experience. Boot makers have moved away from GoreTex somewhat and using other more durable membranes/liners.

Agree about the weight - makes a large difference. But I also desire some protection and support, so it is a compromise. I only wear by high top boots when working on my property with a steel toe and a steel insole insert, and thick leather and insulation, they are heavy, but I don't have far to walk and I don't want to cut into my toes with the chain saw or have a log roll onto my foot, or run over my foot with the two wheel tractor.

I rotate my footwear, it makes them last longer. It gives them time to air and dry out.

I work in an office so I usually wear slipons and other low top footwear. Wouldn't want to have to walk far in the slipons, but lace up low top walking shoes are good for walking - so far Keen being the best I have found.

I keep a pair of all leather Vasque mid high waterproof boots in my car in case I find myself on foot somewhere, so no matter what I am doing I can always put on the boots and walk away from it if I have to.

After years of trying out boots for work, danner rain forest, redwing, keen, I always come back to a good pair of White's smokejumpers with some smartwool hiker socks. I keep em greased up with obenoufs and don't have issues.:) If its really cold I'll run the rain forests..

Great info! Sucks they don't have larger sizes though, I wear a 15-17 depending on brand so I have to go to stores to try on. Sounds like you are more active than myself so if they last you 2 years I'd probably get 5 years out of them.

I do have bad circulation in my feet making them them feel cold but I can deal with it... the water getting in is the annoying part.
Haha, so you must know Nordstrom Rack as well as I do! Most of my dress shoes are 14 but my sneakers and boots are usually 15's but I really need to try them on. No-one else really sells much above a 13. The original reason I went with the Bates GX-8 is because they were one of the few boots in stock anywhere online that was offered in larger sizes (13+). They are part of Wolverine Boots so they are a big company. If buying directly though Bates they do free express 2-3 day shipping and free size exchanges or returns.

My last two GX-8's were 15's but after breaking in I had a little too much room with normal every day socks. The 14's I just got I have to loosen the laces all the way to the bottom to get them on even with the side zip. Are you ever down in the Seattle area? You're more than welcome to try on my old pair of 15's to see if you like the style or if they are even remotely close to fitting.

The major complaint online is that they don't hold a shine and the leather gets "rough" pretty quickly. I work at a warehouse and I'm pretty rough on my footwear so that's not a concern of mine.

I switched to Muck Boots years ago, and haven't looked back! I use both the 600 gr, and 1000 gr insulated versions interchangeably and I have had zero issues! I wear mine with Sock liners and a medium weight Smartwool sock for extra warmth and comfort! Costco usually has them for about $40 cheaper then retail and that makes them very attractive price wise! These ARE completely water proof, and very well insulated boots!!!

Personally, I think the backpacking community had boots sorted out long before the military, law enforcement, workers, etc. Take a trip to your local REI and talk with their boot guys. The most important thing is fit. Doesn't matter how good the boot is if it doesn't fit you. And not every boot will fit every person.

Take a look at Salomon, Asolo, Lowa and whatever else they've got. Try on everything and figure out which one fits you best. Note too that many of the backpacking brands also build for the military/LE if you prefer those colors. A lot of military guys love the Salomon Quest 4D...although that might be heavier than what you need. Pair the boot with a good Merino wool sock and a good orthodic like Super Feet and you should be good to go. But make sure you try boots on with the sock and orthodic.

BTW...Darn Tough of Vermont makes fantastic socks. They're a little pricey but they come with a replacement wear guarantee. Wear them out and they will replace them for free. So they'll be the last socks you ever buy. Smartwool makes great socks too...albeit without the replacement guarantee.

Personally, I think the backpacking community had boots sorted out long before the military, law enforcement, workers, etc. Take a trip to your local REI and talk with their boot guys. The most important thing is fit. Doesn't matter how good the boot is if it doesn't fit you. And not every boot will fit every person.

Take a look at Salomon, Asolo, Lowa and whatever else they've got. Try on everything and figure out which one fits you best. Note too that many of the backpacking brands also build for the military/LE if you prefer those colors. A lot of military guys love the Salomon Quest 4D...although that might be heavier than what you need. Pair the boot with a good Merino wool sock and a good orthodic like Super Feet and you should be good to go. But make sure you try boots on with the sock and orthodic.

BTW...Darn Tough of Vermont makes fantastic socks. They're a little pricey but they come with a replacement wear guarantee. Wear them out and they will replace them for free. So they'll be the last socks you ever buy. Smartwool makes great socks too...albeit without the replacement guarantee.
I second this!!! For winter and or hiking when not in a lot of water, I wear Salewa M2 pro vertical Mountainering boots! I spend most of my winter months at the Ski resort where I work, and have found these boots more then adequate for very cold and slippery conditions, and they are VERY long wearing!!! Warning, these boots are pretty expensive, but Buy once, Cry once. Go to the Mt. Store in Portland and try on several different pairs, once you find what you like, get the exact info on the boot's and you can find them on Amazon for a lot less!

35 years ago, I walked into the downtown Portland Outdoor Store looking for a set of hiking boots to take on my summer long backpacking trip through Europe.
After getting my feet measured by a knowable salesman, I found out that my left foot is longer then my right.
He told me earlier that year a customer had paid extra to mismatch a pair of high dollar Vasque triple layered leather mountain boots that he needed, because his right foot was longer then his left, and that I could have them for 1/3rd the cost of new, since they hadn't been able sell them until I came along.
I never did wear them as I ended up buying a used VW bug in Amsterdam and drove all over Europe in my Birkenstock sandals instead of hiking.
A year later when i returned back to Sandy, OR. my little rented mountain cabin burned to the ground and I just happen to be wearing those big heavy boots.
They were my only footwear for a long time and after breaking them in, they turned out to be the best boots I've ever worn.
I still have them, and every once and awhile I put them on and can't believe how much they weigh compared to the newer generation Goretex wonder boots I now wear.

A lot of long posts. I'll keep it simple.

1. Deer hunting: 400 gram thinsulate Lacrosse
2. Elk hunting: 600-800 gram thinsulate Lacrosse and leather boots with goretex since it snows where I hunt.

I use 3 different pairs and switch them out as needed. I also use spray on water repellent for some of them and good ol Huberd's boot oil on the leather boots. I use a wool blend sock and my feet stay warm and dry. Something I'm not seeing any of you mention is gaiters. I use them (Kenetrek) to help keep my feet dry while traipsing through the snow. My elk hunting partner convinced me to try some out and I'm extremely happy I listened to him.

DSC00111_zpsc9bf87bd.jpg DSC00115_zpsd0a69759.jpg

in the outdoors cotton kills. Literally. Stay away from cotton blends too, the moisture doesn't dry from body heat or insulate at all when wet like wool. Stay with wool or synthetic socks. This goes for all clothing actually.

The only boots that work for me in western Oregon are full hard leather or rubber. Western Oregon has the native blackberry vines that live on the ground that will not only trip you up, but their small thorns will poke many pin-holes in your brand new expensive lightweight goretex hiking boots. Ive never encountered those berry vines in central and eastern Oregon so Ive been able to use the more lightweight goretex boots out there fine.

For hiking a prefer a lighter boot and am on my second pair of Vasque high tops (currently Breeze 2.0 as they were closes to my last pair). I use wool socks and change them periodically.

For work I use Keen Detroit steel toes. The rubber runs over the toe which I need as I use my foot as a hammer often. However the sole on the Detroit's use molded sections which are glued and will separate. Mine typically last 2 years (I am on my 4th pair) but I am on concrete all day. I would not trust them to a construction site.

I too, recommend Darn Tough socks. Don't think I'll ever go back to wearing cotton socks again. Although I haven't been able to wear a single pair out in the years I've been wearing them, the lifetime replacement guarantee is an added bonus.

With my super high arches, I'm pretty much living full time in Birkenstock sandals and work boots with the Birkenstock insoles.
If I wear anything else, at the end of the day it seems like like somebody had whipped the bottom of my arches with a bamboo cane.

My hunting/hiking has always been in the heat/dry desert locations but living up in up here now i need to invest in some different gear. Curious on what you guys who are on your feet all day carrying gear in/out sometimes miles or even working daily in the weather use?

I like to research and buy once and buy right but so many options I have a feeling its going to be a learning curve but im trying to get a head start.

From what i have been reading, layering is popular and makes good sense while some other saying its not necessary for a weekend hunt in the weather. what do you guys here think?
I would get boots that are leather, slightly insulated, and have a good tread especially with all the moss we have here.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top