JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My hunting/hiking has always been in the heat/dry desert locations but living up in up here now i need to invest in some different gear. Curious on what you guys who are on your feet all day carrying gear in/out sometimes miles or even working daily in the weather use?

I like to research and buy once and buy right but so many options I have a feeling its going to be a learning curve but im trying to get a head start.

From what i have been reading, layering is popular and makes good sense while some other saying its not necessary for a weekend hunt in the weather. what do you guys here think?

West side prepare for wet. Don't overdo cold prep on the west (wet) side or your feet will overheat and the sweat will be just as wet as the rain.
I've even carried a dry pair of socks in a ziplock for the hike back to camp when hunting in serious rain.

East side, prepare for cold.
If you're a stand hunter on the east side, it will take more insulation than you realize to keep those feet warm on a long morning stand, or in a goose blind. That calls for a pac boot with a wool felt liner, and good socks.

My experience has been that in general, a leather upper on a boot is better than any fabric at being more resistant to water penetration into the boot - especially if you treat the leather with a non-oil wax based protectant like Sno-Seal (I smear on the protectant and then use a hot air hair blower to melt the wax into the leather and repeat until it won't take any more protectant). I used to use mink oil but learned that it degrades leather and stitching eventually.

For lightweight boots, which I usually wear, I prefer the molded sole, not a stitched sole, the molding coming up over the toe and heel especially. For heavier boots - such as steel toe boots I wear when working in the woods with a chain saw or other equipment, then I go with a stitched sole.

For summer I use lighter weight partially or fully cloth uppers, but all of them I go for the "waterproof" rated boots, usually having some kind of inner lining that is supposed to be waterproof.

Above all, I make sure the boot fits my feet and is comfortable in the store. If it isn't comfortable in the store then there is a good chance that it won't be later either.

I generally go with Merrell or lately more with Keen (the latter seem to fit my feet better and have a better sole bed IMO). I also have worn and still have Vasque boots too.

All good info here. One other thing to keep in mind.
For a leather boot, find one that has a full height, stitched tongue.
Waterproof as mentioned.

I wear Danner and Redwing and Viberg Boots

Thank you for the reply. its not so much the cold i "Think" (Can't say till i go out different areas but im looking for more wet protection).

You run thin wool socks or keep up with cotton?

My experience has been that in general, a leather upper on a boot is better than any fabric at being more resistant to water penetration into the boot - especially if you treat the leather with a non-oil wax based protectant like Sno-Seal (I smear on the protectant and then use a hot air hair blower to melt the wax into the leather and repeat until it won't take any more protectant). I used to use mink oil but learned that it degrades leather and stitching eventually.

For lightweight boots, which I usually wear, I prefer the molded sole, not a stitched sole, the molding coming up over the toe and heel especially. For heavier boots - such as steel toe boots I wear when working in the woods with a chain saw or other equipment, then I go with a stitched sole.

For summer I use lighter weight partially or fully cloth uppers, but all of them I go for the "waterproof" rated boots, usually having some kind of inner lining that is supposed to be waterproof.

Above all, I make sure the boot fits my feet and is comfortable in the store. If it isn't comfortable in the store then there is a good chance that it won't be later either.

I generally go with Merrell or lately more with Keen (the latter seem to fit my feet better and have a better sole bed IMO). I also have worn and still have Vasque boots too.

All the labels are worn from mine to tell you all I use.
One of them for sure that I like are the mocha/white Carhartt Boot socks.
The over the calf types are nice on real cold ventures.

My uses are for the West side. Cold, wet, or warm.

I'm a baby when my feet are cold. Invest in good wool or wool blend socks. I usually bring a Spain set or two. One extra full thickness as well as a lighter set when in s days hike or hunt. So as to be able to switch out and let dry if needed. Or switch to a less warming pair if my feet get too hot.

I love redwing boots. I have worn the deer trackers for many hikes and hunts.

I also recommend a shin height boot for these areas, mostly as the damn berry bushes get you clear up to your waste sometimes with their thorns. Best protect the shins and feet as they are the most prone to getting poked or scratched.

Sno-seal. Warm in oven at lowest temp, work in beeswax on the leather. Let cool, repeat.

Get toe protectors.
Boots Saver Toe Guards

Go with a boot that's not too insulated, Goretex is a must in the wet climate.

I just bought my 3rd pair of Bates GX-8 Insulated Gore-Tex boots. They have a Gore-Tex liner and 200g Tinsulate insulation. I wear them as soon as it goes below 70 degrees but I've worn them on summer hikes as well. My first pair lasted about 2 years before I wore through the sole. My second pair had the rear right of the right shoe start to separate after over a year of fairly hard use. I saw some pictures in reviews of this happening in the same location to other people yet I still bought a 3rd pair in 4 years. They fit great and I don't get overheated. I love not being able to feel how cold the ground is. I've been telling myself I'm going to get a pair of the non insulated gore-tex version for warmer days when they go on sale but I keep forgetting.

LA Police Gear seems to have the best prices and sales but they don't carry my size anymore (14/15).

GX-8 Insulated Side Zip with GORE-TEX®

West side prepare for wet. Don't overdo cold prep on the west (wet) side or your feet will overheat and the sweat will be just as wet as the rain.
I've even carried a dry pair of socks in a ziplock for the hike back to camp when hunting in serious rain.

East side, prepare for cold.
If you're a stand hunter on the east side, it will take more insulation than you realize to keep those feet warm on a long morning stand, or in a goose blind. That calls for a pac boot with a wool felt liner, and good socks.

Thats some really good advise but
Got to keep in mind everyones feet are different . My feet are like yours they stay pretty warm but a buddy of mine can never keep his feet warm even with the highest rated insulated gortex boots.

But you are correct about the East Side and West Side. East side you can get bitter cold that will chill even my toes Since I have to multi purpose my boots I don't go with too much insulation and has some have said I have a special set of quality wool socks for elk season. with the west side as long as I keep my feet dry they stay warm and elk season unless I am moving where there is snow my toes still can feel it at times.

I only use Danner Gortex boots I know there are other quality out there that will you buy for less money but since the first time I tried them 20 something years ago its all i ware for hunting.

when shopping for a quality boot like that make sure you get the right Last and width as you can't really break them in if they don't fit right and one of the things l like most about Danner is they have boots that fit different shaped feet. Tennis Shoes kill my feet the first Time I put on a pair of Danners I was hooked but they have some boots that fit like Tennis shoes and they just kill my feet.

i take 2 pairs as on my wet trips thats both eastern or even prepping my boots the leather can soak up some water and make the boots feel cold so by switching them It allows one to dry out throughly. Be sure to use the boot dressing/water proofer or something like mink oil for the leather on your boots especially if you are a walker though brush or grass as my boot leather tend absorb more doing that vs just sitting and having the water run off.

What ever footware you go with be sure to buy it well before hunting season and ware it to make sure its comfortable and that its not gonna where blisters into your feet. you may want to make a practice walk ahead of time based on how much walking you plan to be to see if you get any sore spots on your feet.

I am a big fan of boots with a Gortex Liner but keep in mind the liner may ware out before the boots do if you ware them every day so good idea to test them ahead of time or have a back up pair.

if your feet tend to get cold or standing still a lot then invest i extra layers of thisulate and wool socks . as jamie noted if unsure keep carry a set of wool socks in case your feet do get cold

This is a good thread although you are obviously not new to hunting many new hunters over look keeping their feet warm dry and comfortable and for a lot of us we are not used to have the extra weight of our rifle, back pack and gear not to mention the weight of other rain gear that can quickly add up to a extra 20-30lbs on your feet while your walking terrain that you do not walk on on a daily bases from gravel roads, rocky hillsides, plowing through thick brush hiking up and down muddy trails, walking through snow and water crossing small streams. And when your hunting once those toes start getting cold or blisters start waring into heal of your feet thats when all that fun stuff mentioned above stops being fun.

One other thing I found helpful on the west side was gaiters, unless I was in the blackberry thickets.
I always wore them over east, but went the 1st couple seasons over here without them, thinking I wouldn't need them with no snow.
When I got them out again I treated them with camp dry and they really helped when walking in tall wet grass. The wet wouldn't soak through my pants and into the tops of my socks.

I can't wear wool. Part of my Aspergers is anything against my skin must not irritate it - something about being over stimulated/sensitive.

During everyday I wear cotton socks, but if I am going out in the wet and cold, I will wear synthetics, moderate to thin, certainly not thick.

When I was younger I had a lot of problems keeping my feet warm no matter what, but the last couple of decades not so much at all.

I forgot to mention something important:

Regardless of what boots you get, get and use some waterproof gaiters. If it is cold enough to snow, then use insulated gaiters.

Gaiters will keep water/snow from getting down onto your socks and wicking further inside your boots. They will also keep the boots drier and the boots won't have to deal with exposure to the wet and your feet will keep much more dry and warm in the cold/wet. During the summer, uninsulated gaiters will keep the dirt and other debris (stickers, seeds, etc.) out of your boots.

Also, don't wear socks so thick that they constrict your feet as this will slow down circulation to them and make them even colder. I wear thick socks in my steel toe boots, but in my other boots I wear thin to moderate thickness socks.

I went to Danner and Redwing.

What I wanted was a plain brown all leather boot.

Where I found it was at the Carhart shop.

9" tall
No seams or fancy borders.
Just leather boots.
I keep mine cleaned and oiled often.

Even my weather/waterproof outer shells (coat/pants) will eventually get wet to some degree.

My boots never have, even walking thru bogs when it got into water deep enough to almost go over the tops.

Minimal cold weather lining and a great sole.

Once you break them in they are super comfortable and I'm hugely picky about my feet.

Best of luck on your search;)

Thank you for the reply. its not so much the cold i "Think" (Can't say till i go out different areas but im looking for more wet protection).

You run thin wool socks or keep up with cotton?
NEVER cotton. They absorb moisture and turn to mush inside your boot. I wear only 70% or better wool socks with my hunting boots. I'm a Danner customer. All good info above, but also since I hunt ranches on the east side that have sections of lava flows, as well as cultivated wheat fields I've found that a boot that's a little big is a real pain. On uneven ground your foot sliding around inside the boot is very tiring. I try to keep a snug fit all the time.

I second the opinion that leather is much better at keeping your feet dry than GoreTex.
To me, the weight of the boot is one of the most important considerations. After a few miles it really starts to make a difference.
I used to be a big fan of Danner but lately I've been wearing Asolo, Meindl or Lowa.
Wearing Meindl Vacuum right now and I love them.
For socks, Smart Wool.

Great info! Sucks they don't have larger sizes though, I wear a 15-17 depending on brand so I have to go to stores to try on. Sounds like you are more active than myself so if they last you 2 years I'd probably get 5 years out of them.

I do have bad circulation in my feet making them them feel cold but I can deal with it... the water getting in is the annoying part.

I just bought my 3rd pair of Bates GX-8 Insulated Gore-Tex boots. They have a Gore-Tex liner and 200g Tinsulate insulation. I wear them as soon as it goes below 70 degrees but I've worn them on summer hikes as well. My first pair lasted about 2 years before I wore through the sole. My second pair had the rear right of the right shoe start to separate after over a year of fairly hard use. I saw some pictures in reviews of this happening in the same location to other people yet I still bought a 3rd pair in 4 years. They fit great and I don't get overheated. I love not being able to feel how cold the ground is. I've been telling myself I'm going to get a pair of the non insulated gore-tex version for warmer days when they go on sale but I keep forgetting.

LA Police Gear seems to have the best prices and sales but they don't carry my size anymore (14/15).

GX-8 Insulated Side Zip with GORE-TEX®

Great info! Sucks they don't have larger sizes though, I wear a 15-17 depending on brand so I have to go to stores to try on. Sounds like you are more active than myself so if they last you 2 years I'd probably get 5 years out of them.

I do have bad circulation in my feet making them them feel cold but I can deal with it... the water getting in is the annoying part.

Ask your doctor about compression socks and if he says yes then you can wear them under the wool socks to help with your circulation if apropriate.

I only know about them because of the blood clots that formed in my calf right after my knee surgery Sept 1st - they make a huge difference between having to keep my foot up all the time and being able to sit and drive or be up on it for awhile.

Wool socks and Arrow Moccasins for me
I like their "Lace boot" model with the double sole.
These are the shoes I wear year around everyday. Hunting, camping or at work.
No they will not be "waterproof" , but a little bit of Sno-Seal or Precards leather dressing goes a long way to keeping your feet dry.
I just carry extra wool socks when out and about.
Andy

Last Edited:
Standing on my feet all day has made my feet kinda picky. During the day my work boot is a Danner Fort Lewis boot. Only boots ive ever worn that didn't need a week or two break in.

But when it comes to hunting I also wear Danner, the Olympic to be specific. I hike a lot while hunting so they need to be warm, waterproof and comfy. Doesn't matter what socks I wear with them, they are always comfortable. I use a formed slip in arch support. The sole is very important to me, I hate the clunk clunk clunk of the normal vibram sole. I really like this type of sole (pictured below). I can walk on a gravel road and almost do it silently.
Now one thing for sure, Danner boots are spendy, so I always shop at their factory second store, near the Portland airport. They are always still water proof, most of the time it's a little glue mark on the leather or such.
Gore Tex lined, 400 gram thinsulate seems to work well for me. And my feet tend to get cold easy. But in warm weather that's a little to much thinsulate so over 70 degrees on those boats and I am looking to take them off.

Danner boots 006.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads