JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those beasts are the absolute masters of stealth it sounds like. Makes me worry about calling in coyotes without something to my back
-
Coyotes won't be hanging close in the immediate area, if they suspect cougar working around, because coyote no like them . I called in a Cougar once while calling coyote by a large sheep herd . watching on the thermal, it will give you the willies how they glide around smooth.
I was out 4 nights ago trying to get a sight on cougar that sent two horses to the Vet. and put one of them down just that morning . I am good at what I doing, I stealthed in the area quiet, I chirped once every half hour and did constant thermal scanning for hours and then switched area's for the last hour went to a couple of cottontail distress to maybe see something moving. I Did not catch a single glimpse of Cougar anywhere in that area, and there was still large smear pools of blood still all over that spot where the horses were jumped and Cougar were trying to make kill just that morning.

No telling where they are from day to day with there route they work . most likely was ( 1, or possible 2 ) young starving Cougar try for the horse meat, as I dont see a full grown experienced cat screwing that up, unless one of the horses got in a lucky kick or bite.

Having grown up in Dallas and spending hundreds of days/nights hiking/sleeping in the trask and wilson units, the best advice I can give is to trust your instincts :). If you suddenly get chills down your spine and feel like someone/thing is watching you.... they probably are.

I'd be down. I have property up outside of Goldendale where is prime time for cats. I bought some scholar iron sightss from you a few months ago. If you wanna go get at me and let's chat. Andre

The Cats will know more about you then you will them. Tracking a cat takes way more time and patience than any hoofed animal. This process usually takes multiple treks, plus if it gets a whiff of you - forget it. They will almost always take the high ground on you and look for opportunity. Never have tracked one as a team - to much time and noise involved.
The only advise I would offer you - you better carry a sidearm and knife.
If this is your first hunting trip - start with something that won't think about hunting you.

We have done pretty good calling in lions and killing them. Best time is when deer and elk start having babies. Get out there using calf or fawn distress calls and set up on the high ground calling into the canyons so your sound travels farther. I like to send calve distress sounds low and frantic cow sounds high. They sound separated that way but sometimes you get cats coming in from above Also hot days/weeks cats kill more because it spoils faster. Good luck

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top