JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First, thanks to those who replied to my earlier post. I'm a first time hunter, (at 46 I figure it's about time), very familiar with safe firearm operation, and have spent the last week pouring over every post in here, along with the manual from the DFW website. Have my license, tags for deer, elk, bear, cougar (ya, they all came at a package price, so I figured why not!) - even though I'm fairly sure my first hunt will be dear or elk (although I think I would enjoy Bear more, I'm far too green for that!)

I have enrolled in the hunter safety course in September. What I am having trouble figuring out, and I did read the DFW map and book over and over, is where I can hunt. Deer, modern firearms, specifically.

What I would love, is someone point me to some areas not too far off, that I could go and hike around (well, I'm 300lbs, so waddle around) and scout out, before october comes around, and hunting season is live. I have a 4WD, although it's more of an SUV, it will do if needed, I just don't know where to go. I want to "get to know" the area I will have my first hunt in, before that time comes.
Directions, as specific as you can be (I'm thick sometime) are appreciated! I bought a Bushnell HuntTrack GPS, so I "should" be able to find my way out of anywhere I get into. (*famous last words? hope not!)
Advice? Directions? Help - all are appreciated.

Thanks
Glenn
([email protected])

How did you get all your tags and licenses before you got your hunters ed certificate? anyways closest decent spot will prob be Mt St. Hellens. Drive up there to some yellow gates that arnt POSTED and do some walking around. You may want to take a bicycle and cover more area.

How did you get all your tags and licenses before you got your hunters ed certificate? anyways closest decent spot will prob be Mt St. Hellens. Drive up there to some yellow gates that arnt POSTED and do some walking around. You may want to take a bicycle and cover more area.

You only have to take the class first if you are born after 1972, and I was born before 1972. Thanks for the advice on St. Helens, I'll go up this weekend and poke around. :)

G

Honestly, it really depends on how much driving time and preperation time you want to put in. I am also "first time" hunting this year in Washington and by myself this year. I havent spent much time looking for elk right now as I plan to hook up with some friends. I have been scouting bear and deer mostly. Big region difference for them all. If you need a partner let me know I might be interested depending on when you can go out.

Theres no deer or elk in Lewis county so I saved you some time!
HE HE well maybe one or two but the deer and elk I know of will have a sharp arrow in em soon.

Thanks for the advice and the PMs so far. What I would really love, is advice/direction on black bear hunting. I've been told I should start with Dear, but since Black Bear is in season, and sounds much more interesting to me, I want to start there. I spent a day this weekend up near the Sawtooth Berryfields up near Mt. Adams, but there were so many people picking berries, I didn't think it was a good (safe) place to unload and start looking for bears. I'm REALLY new to this, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

I also realized I need to hit the treadmill, lol. I'm 6'1, and 300lbs, and after hiking just about a mile in, and back out, I was a wreck, lol. Luckily, my 20 year old son is learning to hunt with me, so I had a grunt!

Really had a great time, but realized I need to learn a lot more about where to go, how to get there, and what my current (but I promise improving) physical limitations are. :)

Glenn (Pinfold)

You are on the right track for bear. You might also find that a good area for deer or elk as well. You will have to hike/ride a mtn bike a ways to get away from the people.
With more and more people out hunting these days, that might be a long ways into the brush. And remember, you will have to pack out what you shoot, so know your limits of what you can strap on your back and for how long.
I hate treadmills... I would find a good long trail, get a sturdy pair of shoes or boots and just jog the trail. Try to go further and further down the trail each time you go. Maybe also take your pack and stuff a couple bags of flower or sugar in it for some weight.

Best of luck to you in your hunts!
Ty

Thanks Tye - I think that's great advice (about the trail issue). I'm going to start on that, as I know I need to get in better condition to do this right. :)

Glenn

You are on the right track for bear. You might also find that a good area for deer or elk as well. You will have to hike/ride a mtn bike a ways to get away from the people.
With more and more people out hunting these days, that might be a long ways into the brush. And remember, you will have to pack out what you shoot, so know your limits of what you can strap on your back and for how long.
I hate treadmills... I would find a good long trail, get a sturdy pair of shoes or boots and just jog the trail. Try to go further and further down the trail each time you go. Maybe also take your pack and stuff a couple bags of flower or sugar in it for some weight.

Best of luck to you in your hunts!
Ty

No sweat. I understand about being a bit bigger as well... I exceed the max weight of my float tube by a couple pounds.... It was easier to have my wife sew on some enforcing straps around it than for me to try to shed the 20lbs+ to get under their 'suggested' weight.
I ride my mtn. bike in the summer to try keep from getting bigger... It works ok. Cant run unless I am being chased due to bad knees from my youth.
I really am not huge over weight ('bout 225 and 6' tall), but I would like to drop 30 pounds. I dont eat super healthy, but its not burger king or kfc for every meal either... A good steak from time to time and bbq pork and chicken is about as wild as I get on a regular basis.
Maybe once every couple weeks hit up mcdonalds for some fries.... They must put crack in them or something, they are good...

We should meet up some time for a bike ride (if you ride), or slow jog some place... Lacamas lake out here has great trails for both if you are looking for some place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top