JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys

I was invited to go deer and pig hunting in November with my brother in law (again) . He lives in Georgia ,but will be hunting in Alabama. The sweet thing is my mother in law lives in the same area. So while my wife visits her mother I'll be hunting.

So my question is I'm looking for a load that will shoot straight for at least 200 yds. I have Hornaday 168 gr. Amax on my shelf so I would like to use those. W.LR. primers too. Mike ( brother in law) said that shots wouldn't be any longer than that.
I have one of those one book/ one caliber books . My 3006 is a Savage with a center point scope .
The bucks weighs around 150 /200 pds. The pigs can be 120/350 pds.
I was leaning towards using IMR 4350. Any thoughts or a better choice of powder? I will start this weekend on working up a load.

Thanks in advance.
HotRod

I ilke the Hornady 150 grain boat tail spire point myself and get great accuracy with a number of weapons.. now if the pigs are really big hogs the 165 would be better

I would recommend using a different bullet - it is my understanding that the Amax is more of a target / varmint bullet, meaning it is built for a purpose other than hunting big game. I use and recommend using the Hornday Interlock. I use 165 Hornday Interlock with 57.0 grains of IMR 4350 powder in my rifle, I cant speak for yours. I started reloading in 1986 and have used this combination pretty much since then. There are more exspensive bullets and I guess they might be better - but for the price of the interlock I dont mind practicing year round with what I hunt with.

Respectfully

James Ruby

Blitzkrieg
Mike was telling me that last year they killed a bore that after they dressed it out weighed 220 lbs. 4'' tusk.So they might be another boss hog running around.
JGRuby
Thanks for the info. Some more research on the amax. Not set on them.
HotRod

I use a bunch of RL22 behind Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer and Partitions for elk, both 180gr. If the bullet was a bit lighter, I'd sure try out the RL19. IMR4350 is one of the old standbys for the 30-06 that seems to work very well, too.

If you want specific info on RL22 loads (with 180gr bullets) that I've used in a few different rifles, send me a PM.

As for powder, 4350 is pretty much the best all around powder. There are different powders that work well to but not really better.

As for shooting hogs they're tougher to kill than deer in many cases. I'd go with a partition type bullet that will give a good balance of penetration, expansion, and weight retention. Just because my '06 shoots them so well, I'd look at the 165 gr. Nosler Partition Spitzer.

If your max range is 200 yards this bullet will have more than enough energy to knock down a hog.

I dont think you can ever go wrong with a partition - I just dont think that they or the additional cost on a 250 pound animal is really needed (IMHO). The secret is to use what works best in your rifle so that you have confidence in your ability, so what ever combination you come up with you will need to test. I find by shooting the same bullet all year round in the same gun I know what it will do.

Respectfully

James Ruby

I dont think you can ever go wrong with a partition - I just dont think that they or the additional cost on a 250 pound animal is really needed (IMHO). The secret is to use what works best in your rifle so that you have confidence in your ability, so what ever combination you come up with you will need to test. I find by shooting the same bullet all year round in the same gun I know what it will do.

Respectfully

James Ruby

If one was using the bullet for target practice the cost would be an issue. Don't underestimate the "durability" of a feral hog. May only be 250# or so but it and be 110% mean.

If cost is an issue, use less expensive 165 gr Ballistic tips for load workup and then verify with a few rounds of partition bullets. My experience is that there isn't that large a variation when working with similar projectiles in the same rifle unless it's for competition where a few thousandths in POI can mean the difference between winner or first place looser (or worse).

If one was using the bullet for target practice the cost would be an issue. Don't underestimate the "durability" of a feral hog. May only be 250# or so but it and be 110% mean.

If cost is an issue, use less expensive 165 gr Ballistic tips for load workup and then verify with a few rounds of partition bullets. My experience is that there isn't that large a variation when working with similar projectiles in the same rifle unless it's for competition where a few thousandths in POI can mean the difference between winner or first place looser (or worse).

I have never killed a feral hog so to that I will follow your lead.
I do however find that depending on your standards the same weight bullet but differemt makes of bullets ( even from the same manufacturuer ) do not shoot to the same point of aim, I have seen this many times on paper at the range. To me the first part of accuracy is removing the human factor - once this has been ascertained then you can work on the human part of the equation. I shoot what I use for the intended purpose of the firearm, for example - I know that there are cheaper bullets for my 1911's than XTP but because that is what I use in them I shoot no other bullet. There for I know when I need one of those 1911's to work it will. I know what my 30-06 will do with my load because that is all it shoots.

At this point it is all a matter of opinion.

James Ruby

Thanks guys
All you guys are great.
Me not knowing and you guys knowing seems to be a great combination. LOL
I'm stiil waitng on some more info, but looking forward to working up the loads with the Nosler Partition Spitzer and Ballistic tip.
I'll try and give you gentlemen in update if I get out this weekend. As my schedule seems to be changing buy the minute.
PM sent
Thank you HotRod

i have had good results with 58.5gr of h4350 and 165gr nosler partitions. that is my deer bullet for the 30-06.
i am thinking of giving the 168gr tsx's a try and using them on both deer and elk.
i was using a savage 111 and since switched to a 116 and have not tested the load on that yet.

I have been loading .30-'06 for about 20 years. I have tried many bullets, and many powders.

One of my first efforts was Nolser Partition 180 gr. bullets with IMR 4350 powder. I developed a very accurate load, and it is the load we are still using today. I have tried many bullets and powders, but none have come close to the accuracy of this particlular load.

The load is: Federal brass, CCI 200 LR primer, Nosler 180 gr. Partition, 54 gr. IMR 4350.

I worked the load all the way up to the maximum of 55 gr. as shown in my Nosler manual, but the most accurate load is 54 gr. My chronograph shows a MV of 2650.

My son has used this load extensively on mule deer and elk.

I do however find that depending on your standards the same weight bullet but differemt makes of bullets ( even from the same manufacturuer ) do not shoot to the same point of aim, I have seen this many times on paper at the range.
I gotta go with Deadshot on this one, especially when he's talking Partitions and Ballistic tips. I use both with the same loads in my 30-06. While I always double check before each season (deer and elk) my guns have always shot either bullet in the same holes as the other at 100 or 150 yards. I suppose that because the Ballistic Tip is a boattail and the Partition is a flat base, the Ballistic Tip could have a slightly different point of impact at long distance. But, the possible difference within the OP's specified range will be nil.
As I recommended in a PM, if I was looking for one bullet for deer and hogs, I'd probably lean toward the Accubond.

I do however find that depending on your standards the same weight bullet but differemt makes of bullets ( even from the same manufacturuer ) do not shoot to the same point of aim, I have seen this many times on paper at the range.

Absolutely true. Although I had it best described to me once by a Gun Store employee when we were discussing a similar subject. He opened the cash drawer and took out a dime and a quarter. Pointed to the dime and said "this is what you want when shooting paper". Then pointing to the quarter he said "this is what you need when shooting game".

For me, the difference in bullets like a BT, Partition, or Accubond, in the same weights, usually mean the same variation in group size and a few clicks of adjustment on the scope.

On that last note, I have a card that sits in my scope cover. I have zeroed my main rifle scope with one cartridge and know just exactly how much adjustment to make when changing to a different cartridge. Yes, different ammo shoots to a slightly different POI but it is all predictable.

Blitzkrieg
Mike was telling me that last year they killed a bore that after they dressed it out weighed 220 lbs. 4'' tusk.So they might be another boss hog running around.
JGRuby
Thanks for the info. Some more research on the amax. Not set on them.
HotRod

Really big hogasauruses get to 1100 lbs.. a 220 (probably 300+ before dressing) hog would drop quite well with a good 150 grain SP and it would also be excellent for deer

Ruby is right about POI with different bullet weights/designs.. this is why I initially chose the Hornady BTSP, it mimics the POI of the mil surp loads I have stocked up on for my battle rifles (mil surp is 147-150 grains, usually BT designs) IMO the Hornady 150 gr BTSP would work well on hogs up to the 500 lb range. With my 7.62 NATO Mauser and iron safari sights I get 1 MOA with my handloads... 2 MOA with Eotech and my PTR 91

Unless you are hunting them from a tree stand or with trusty, cool headed armed friends I would suggest a 44 mag or better handgun as backup

Really big hogasauruses get to 1100 lbs.. a 220 (probably 300+ before dressing) hog would drop quite well with a good 150 grain SP and it would also be excellent for deer

Ruby is right about POI with different bullet weights/designs.. this is why I initially chose the Hornady BTSP, it mimics the POI of the mil surp loads I have stocked up on for my battle rifles (mil surp is 147-150 grains, usually BT designs) IMO the Hornady 150 gr BTSP would work well on hogs up to the 500 lb range. With my 7.62 NATO Mauser and iron safari sights I get 1 MOA with my handloads... 2 MOA with Eotech and my PTR 91

Unless you are hunting them from a tree stand or with trusty, cool headed armed friends I would suggest a 44 mag or better handgun as backup

Never go on a "Hog Hunt" under gunned. I grew up around "tame" pigs and when one of the boars, or for that matter a nursing sow, got p!$$ed, even old farts made it over the fence in a hurry. When out with the feral hogs, there aren't fences close enough and you'd better have enough gun and bullet to make it through the skull (or hope you're bud can tell the difference between a hog and you.

I use varget 47gr with a 168 v/amax or sierra game/match king, 3.3 col, this has been the most accurate load
that i could find, if you dont mickey mouse it at 100yds you didnt do your part

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads