JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there. I know plenty about guns but nothing about hunting. I want to learn to hunt. Doesn't really matter what. I'm coming from the Beaverton area and would like to travel as little as possible.

Where should I start? There seems to be a lot of information online about how to get a permit and what seasons they are good for, etc, but where does one actually find prey around here?

but where does one actually find prey around here?

The Forest. :p

Just teasing. I know how you are feeling, I am a pretty new hunter as well, I have only gotten to go out a few times, and there really is a lot to learn. You may have some luck finding a patient hunting partner willing to teach you on one of the forums here.

You can also offer to help people pack out their meat, in exchange for a bit of knowledge. That way they get something in return.

I'm in a similar situation, wanting to find a hunting partner.

Good luck. :s0155:

I think a good first step for you would be deciding on which type of hunting you want to do. You have a lot of options, and you may over time end up hunting several species. However, when you're first getting started it can be both expensive and very time consuming getting into the sport. Since you're already into firearms you may have a few of the guns required to hunt a given species....if that's the case then that would be a good place to start.
There are several factors to take into consideration;
Gear you would need, dates of the season...and how that correlates to your family life and job, would you and your family like eating the animal...there's a big difference between turkey and duck for example, is the game readily found in your part of the state, how much work are you willing to do for an animal...scouting, hiking, travel, etc.
Once you have chosen your prey you can begin to prepare. Use the internet, library, friends, co-workers, and any other source available to you to learn as much as you can about the animal and methods used to hunt it. The easiest way to get started is to find someone who will take you under their wing and show you the ropes. So you may start out hunting whatever it is that a friend, family member, or co-worker hunts since they will likely let you tag along and ask tons of questions.

If this is your first time hunting, and you have never purchased a hunting license, I believe you may want to look into a hunter safety class. Most states, if not all, require the class to be taken prior to even getting a license. I dont know the age cuttof, or if it even has an age requirement in Oregon. Worth looking into tho.

If I remember right you dont have to have the hunter safety card to get a license in OR. But to hunt with your license, tag, or validation you have to have one until you are 18. My dad teaches these classes so I got it drilled into me up until I got married.

It's only -required- until you are 18, but I took it when I was younger and they gave me a lot of great information that I'd even like to re-learn now.
It probably depends on the teacher, but mine taught us about tracking and basic survival skills that were nice. :)

Same with me. You learn alot about the outdoors. Most classes will all be the same since thay have a certain criteria they have to go over and all use the same book and test.

+1 for hunter safty class everyone even if you are over 18 should take it . I've seen some really stupid and dangerous things done by un educated people

not only will the class teach you safty but you will get a lot of info regarding legalities when when how to hunt also info on tracking gutting ect just a whole lot of good information

look into going hunting with someone who has hunted as well teach you the basics as well

alway where orange during rifle season lots of dumb asses in full camo out there they don't realize that people scope movement even a skilled hunter who knows to keep the safty on and finger off the trigger but what about those out there who have never taken the class or have a 6 pack in them

your in beaverton so coast range will be your closest area to hunt extremly rough country but lots of animals from elk deer to bear birds mtn lions

Hello. I never hunted before I moved to Montana four years ago (was 43 yo at the time.) I shot my first deer 1/4 mile from my front door. Never field dressed one before but read a lot about how to do it. It turned out ok, I was nervous, but got it done. Hung the deer, skinned it, then butchered it.

Yes it helps to have someone with you that has done it before, but it is doable by yourself, just gather lots of info on the process and don't cut the gut! Good luck.

Hi there. I know plenty about guns but nothing about hunting. I want to learn to hunt. Doesn't really matter what. I'm coming from the Beaverton area and would like to travel as little as possible.

Where should I start? There seems to be a lot of information online about how to get a permit and what seasons they are good for, etc, but where does one actually find prey around here?

First requirement is to be able to shoot what you are aiming at. For example:

Able to hit a standard clay pigeon on the ground 100% of the time when shooting from a bench at 100 yards.

Able to hit a standard clay pigeon on the ground 50% of the time when sitting or kneeling at 100 yards.

Able to hit a standard clay pigeon on the ground when standing 25% of the time at 100 yards.

Good luck.

ETA: There are blacktail deer all over the out skirts of the Salem area and the hills east and west of there.

I've never hunted or ate Blacktail, but love Whitetail. Mule deer, not bad as sausage or hamburger. I'm looking to hunt the coastal range of southern Oregon, cause that's where we are moving to.

On my way to Cannon beach last weekend, I saw the largest, most majestic animals that I have ever seen. There were about 4 large deer and 2 smaller deer in the middle of the road and along the side of hwy 26. The 4 larger ones had amazingly large antlers with different colored chests, and the 2 didn't have much if any.

I am clueless when it comes to hunting, but I just know that they had the potential to really, really damage my car and possibly myself if I was to have hit them. It was extremely foggy, and there was black ice on the road. *whew*

What did I see?

Sounds like you viewed a small herd of Roosevelt elk that hang out in the coastal range. I know that when someone hits an elk with a car they typically don't live, cause that massive animal comes through the windshield and crushes the occupants. Thank God you didn't hit any of them.

Elk?

elk-6.jpg

Deer (AKA dear)?

On my way to Cannon beach last weekend, I saw the largest, most majestic animals that I have ever seen. There were about 4 large deer and 2 smaller deer in the middle of the road and along the side of hwy 26. The 4 larger ones had amazingly large antlers with different colored chests, and the 2 didn't have much if any.

I am clueless when it comes to hunting, but I just know that they had the potential to really, really damage my car and possibly myself if I was to have hit them. It was extremely foggy, and there was black ice on the road. *whew*

What did I see?
apparently you have never had a herd of elk come ripping across a logging road right in front of you 30yds away ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top