Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hunting in the Wilson unit

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Sawdust, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Anyone here plan on doing any hunting in the Wilson unit this fall? I have never hunted there but have been doing some scouting over the summer. I have found a lot of bear and cougar sign and a bit of elk sign when I've been out hiking. Anyway, I'm not trying to get your secret locations:D but any info on areas to avoid might help. Dang it's steep out there. Does anyone know which company owns the large patch of land at the top of Larch Mt. road?

2. aintnocityboy

aintnocityboy PDX New Member

At the top of Larch, hunt the standard grade rd. The owners of the property keep the gates closed so you'll walk or Mt. bike in. If you get something down and need to drive in to get it out you can ask the owners or reps if you can drive in, they’re pretty cool and will probably let you. They park in 3 or 4 trailers near Blue Lake. There are some big nasty bulls up there but be patient. Find a high point, glass a lot, spot your animal then get after it. It aint easy but oh the rewards.

Good luck.

3. chiefchip

chiefchip Rainier, Oregon Member

If you plan on hunting elk in the Wilson, invest in a chainsaw winch

4. Sawdust

I've been trying to find one!

Got any?:D

5. Motorcycle man

Motorcycle man Portland New Member

does anyone know if the gates are open during hunting season up there near blue lake. Which timber company owns the property? And which people are in the trailers up there? thanks in advance, still trying to get my first elk, wow its hard.

6. kalanikai

kalanikai Tigard Member

Went out opening day with my son to Lost Lake area, not much sign all day gonna head out this weekend again.

7. Sawdust

Taking my 12 year old daughter out this Saturday for her first hunt. Let's keep the hope alive.