JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never been hunting but would like to learn primarily as a survival skill. What is the best way to learn without spending a bunch of money and what are the best type of game to go after? Also, safety would be key -- I don't want to walk into the woods with a bunch of newbies and get my a** shot off!

Hey, I think you are a newbie also , dont assume your gona get shot just to be out in the woods, we all start as newbies , had to start somewhere , just do the homework , plan to know the area to hunt , maps ,topo, private or open land ,how to dress and gut an animal , etc , GUN SAFETY AND A LOT OF COMMON SENSE, if does not look RIGHT or SAFE well it's not , so go out to the woods enjoy and be SAFE. Just my 2cents.

Get out in the area of the forest you like and spend time there. I'm just learning this skill too. The more time you spend out there the more you'll learn your quarry's habits and movements. Practice 'hunting' with a camera. That's my plan for this next spring and summer.

Start with a shotgun, you wont have to worry about you're errant shots getting away from you so much.

The best game for survival is what ever is available, deer, raccoon, possum, coyote, rabbit, duck, quail, elephant, dog, etc..

Maybe you should consider becoming a trapper, fairly safe and you can do it in you're own back yard.

Start with a shotgun, you wont have to worry about you're errant shots getting away from you so much.

The best game for survival is what ever is available, deer, raccoon, possum, coyote, rabbit, duck, quail, elephant, dog, etc..

Maybe you should consider becoming a trapper, fairly safe and you can do it in you're own back yard.

So your saying don't have any expectations of a GOD meal? LOL

If hunting for survival,you may be forced to eat stuff you might not consider otherwise.
The shot gun is good,so is a 22LR.These will bag the smaller game and if you can get close enough,some larger game.Well the shotty will bag a deer fairly easy.
But start now and do as erik said ,watch the game.Watch the wood and just get out and learn what you can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top