JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got hooked on this site and thread, reminds me the "strange things found in the woods" thread on here and ifish.net.
It's about local goldmines and guys going and seaching for them, some even going in which I think is crazy.
I thought it was awesome figured i'd share. In case there's any other wanna be adventurers besides me on here.

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?15084-Mabee-Mines-Washougal-WA

Here in Oregon, BLM are burying the entrances to a lot of old abandoned gold mines.
What a shame, they were a lot fun to track down and go explore.

I would love to go explore around them see the history and hopefully see the old tools or equipment, but there's no way I would go inside. Too risky. I've got a baby i need to make it home to. But I used to love cave diving around bend

There's an old mine shaft in the Opal Creek Wilderness area that has the best swimming hole next to it.
It was called "Santiam 1" and when you hike into the Opal Creek Wilderness area, take the first road on the right after you cross over the bridge near the gate where you park.
You really owe it to yourself to see some of the incredibly huge old growth trees living there.
The picture doesn't do it justice. Even in July, the water is ice cold.

P8256666-web.jpg

You mean Shining Rock Mining Camp? before the tree huggers and hippes extorted it out of the Atiyeh family who owned the Patent Mine. There are three main shafts at the mine site. As well as a Hydroelectric plant and about 20 cabins. Now being lived in by environmentalists.

used to go up there with my dad and his friends in the 60's and later with my friends in the late 70's

No more its all controlled by the tree huggers. Sure you can get close but that's all. Unless you want to spend around $200 a night to stay at their little nature resort.

You mean Shining Rock Mining Camp? before the tree huggers and hippes extorted it out of the Atiyeh family who owned the Patent Mine. There are three main shafts at the mine site. As well as a Hydroelectric plant and about 20 cabins. Now being lived in by environmentalists.

used to go up there with my dad and his friends in the 60's and later with my friends in the late 70's

No more its all controlled by the tree huggers. Sure you can get close but that's all. Unless you want to spend around $200 a night to stay at their little nature resort.
Hayduke would not be happy.

If i get a free weekend I would love to. I went up by myself about a month ago just to hike the mountain. Beautiful place. Had I known about all the gold mines I probably would have explored more.

The picture posted was off the Opal Creek web site. I don't know what they call the old Santiam 1 claim now.
When I first discovered it around 35 yrs ago, the road leading in was gated (where you park now) with a length of chain that was made up of about forty padlocks linked together. Never seen anything like that. Some of the locks were turn of the century.
It was all private property back then.
A mine shaft and cabin were perched on the North side of the creek. There was another mine shaft directly opposite on the South side. The shaft was open,, but posted that it was dangerous to enter.
The swimming hole was just up the creek. Great swimming if you man enough to brave the icy water and the only downside were that the horsefly's were vicious.

Last Edited:
I did this all the time with friends in Baker in the 70s. I was to young to know what I was looking for or at. Just liked to get out and explore. Wish I new more in those days.

The picture posted was off the Opal Creek web site. I don't know what they call the old Santiam 1 claim now.
When I first discovered it around 35 yrs ago, the road leading in was gated (where you park now) with a length of chain that was made up of about forty padlocks linked together. Never seen anything like that. Some of the locks were turn of the century.
It was all private property back then.
A mine shaft and cabin were perched on the North side of the creek. There was another mine shaft directly opposite on the South side. The shaft was open,, but posted that it was dangerous to enter.
The swimming hole was just up the creek. Great swimming if you man enough to brave the icy water and the only downside were that the horsefly's were vicious.

You obviously never made it to Shining rock mining camp The big Patent Mine at Jawbone flats. And it has never been private property it was a Patent Mine. Government property under the control of a Patent held in private hands.

You needed to go farther up the road. Or come in from Elk Lake.

Never felt the need to go any further. Back then there were a lot of no trespassing/private property signs posted at the gate and on the road leading down to the Santiam 1 mine.
We would just sneak in and go swimming.
Now it's open to the public.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews