JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's your set up for camp?

When the old body doesn't want to work like it used to, count on your brothers to help you out!

This last weekend was a treat to our bother Mike, as Jim and I, along with our lifelong good friend Joe Mabee, took him to deer camp. It's been over 40 years since the four of us rowdy boys from South Poe Valley got together for some hell raising in the woods! And to do it at our old stomping grounds was icing on the cake (or camp so to speak).

Mike was the only one with a tag and almost scored. Just a few tree branches got in the way. Still, the time we spent together was priceless and we will cherish the memories for the rest of our lives.

Here's to ya, Brother Mike!

9-28-19 Mike Hunt 0-0.jpg

9-28-19 Mike Hunt 2.jpg

9-28-19 Mike Hunt 3.jpg

9-28-19 Mike Hunt 8.jpg 9-28-19 Mike Hunt 15.jpg

9-28-19 Mike Hunt 30.jpg

Looks like a great camp to me. We normally just sleep in the back of the pick-up under the canopy. Someday maybe a small travel trailer. Elk camp normally consists of a motel room in Waldport. It is amazing how much better you feel after a hot shower after climbing around in the mud, fir and salal all day. Glad you guys had a great time.

Thats a fine lookin camp! I have a tent like that but I'm too lazy to set it up. We just park by the corral and fight off the yellow jackets.:D
full.jpg

What's your set up for camp?

When the old body doesn't want to work like it used to, count on your brothers to help you out!

This last weekend was a treat to our bother Mike, as Jim and I, along with our lifelong good friend Joe Mabee, took him to deer camp. It's been over 40 years since the four of us rowdy boys from South Poe Valley got together for some hell raising in the woods! And to do it at our old stomping grounds was icing on the cake (or camp so to speak).

Mike was the only one with a tag and almost scored. Just a few tree branches got in the way. Still, the time we spent together was priceless and we will cherish the memories for the rest of our lives.

Here's to ya, Brother Mike!

View attachment 621113

View attachment 621114

View attachment 621115

View attachment 621116View attachment 621117

View attachment 621118

Not a hunter myself, but I'd sure enjoy hanging around camp all day and taking care of camp business!

The thing that comes to mind seeing you guys all together like that, is how 40 years ago you all sat up late sipping whiskey, or something, and then got up at 3:00 AM. Hiked miles, up and down mountains, and did that for days. Now? Things have changed haven't they? :D

Not a hunter myself, but I'd sure enjoy hanging around camp all day and taking care of camp business!

The thing that comes to mind seeing you guys all together like that, is how 40 years ago you all sat up late sipping whiskey, or something, and then got up at 3:00 AM. Hiked miles, up and down mountains, and did that for days. Now? Things have changed haven't they? :D
The only thing that changed is the hiking part. All the rest is just as it used to be!

The only thing that changed is the hiking part. All the rest is just as it used to be!

Count your blessings my friend. No more of those hanging at the bar until midnight, 2 hours sleep, and driving two hours to fish, for me.

Hunting camp used to be in my buddy's 18' Army Hexagonal GP tent. Then as more of the family wanted to come, he graduated to a 36' Army MASH tent... that was pretty cool. Lots of room for everybody.

The last few years he has taken his 28' Utility trailer so that he could pack the 4whlrs, and the kids got to use the two army tents. Hangers on brought their own.

Last time, 2yrs ago, I was between trailers so I took a 10' Gazebo/Canopy and put tarps all around it. Bought one of those little nylon tents for $50 that attaches to one side. Had both a propane heater and a kerosene heater in it. The first night it snowed two feet and that lil sumbeetch tent collapsed on me in the middle of the night. Aaaaargh.

This year I can only go for a few days while someone keeps an eye on the wife who has mild dementia. I sold my 36' 5th in order to purchase a 28' that is easier to take camping... so that is what will go. I have my CPAP, lotsa solar and battery power, and two generators. Have both the trailer furnace and a 4brick propane heater. Should be toasty!!

Camp is only 1.5hrs away. When we hunted Mt. Emily it was only 15min away!!! The days of staying home and driving out to hunt were gone since 1990.

Last Edited:
I'm dragin my lawn chair out to a nice vantage point and and sit for a spell. Might just leave it there for the next day:D

My hunting party is a pretty sad bunch this year. Since the kids and adult grandkids aren't coming there will be just four of us geezers... the original three, my friend, his brother, and me, plus his sister that likes to hunt. We are all around 70yrs old.

Sooooo this is how it stacks up.... The brother had a stroke, and recent shoulder surgery, plus he lives in WA now so rather than pay the exorbitant fee to hunt here, he is just a camper like me. I can't get out in the woods much further than it takes to get to the crapper and the license/tag fees are prohibitive for someone on my limited income that can't really do much to hunt. His sister is a sit in a good spot hunter like me the last few years I hunted. My buddy has bad knees now. So, God willing the two hunters get one down... better hope it's close to the road!!!

My hunting party is a pretty sad bunch this year. Since the kids and adult grandkids aren't coming there will be just four of us geezers... the original three, my friend, his brother, and me, plus his sister that likes to hunt. We are all around 70yrs old.

Sooooo this is how it stacks up.... The brother had a stroke, and recent shoulder surgery, plus he lives in WA now so rather than pay the exorbitant fee to hunt here, he is just a camper like me. I can't get out in the woods much further than it takes to get to the crapper and the license/tag fees are prohibitive for someone on my limited income that can't really do much to hunt. His sister is a sit in a good spot hunter like me the last few years I hunted. My buddy has bad knees now. So, God willing the two hunters get one down... better hope it's close to the road!!!
Boy, ain't it the truth! I can't do the Oregon non-resident license either.

I find, however, Camp Jacks have more fun!

Happy hunting!

I find, however, Camp Jacks have more fun!

Happy hunting!

The gathering of young ones in elk camp, including a 2yr old great grandchild, has been more and more disruptive to my camping experience over the ensuing years. It's his camp, so I don't complain... but the kiddos all have this "party out in the woods" thing. They're loud, they're drunk, the music is loud. I don't mind so much at night... except last year they brought a big guitar amplifier that they hooked up to a cellphone and had their playlist going. It was a bit much, and I went to bed when the drinking and rap crap got to me. The next morning I was sitting and enjoying nature, and an additional cuppa covfefe, when the non-hunting kids got up for breakfast around 10am and immediately turned up the amplified music. OMG... I packed up my camp and left. My buddy wondered why I left w/o notice while the rest were out hunting but I only told him it was time to go home and take care of some stuff. His daughter says, "Was it us?" No Dear, it's fine.

Like I said, it's my buddy's camp not mine. But this year should be a lot more peaceful!

Rant off...

Last Edited:
I'm right there with you.

Loud music - I have zero tolerance for, most especially the hippity hoppity kind, blech!

Now if "The Inkspots" are singing (I don't want to set the world on fire) I'm staying.

Or, romance music of the 50's.

Or, Patsy Kline...anything by Patsy Kline especially "Crazy"...

I said 'romance music of the 50's', but I wasn't specific enough.

I meant 'doo-wop'.

Fantastic vocals and harmony with doo-wop.

Maybe dying and going to heaven would be going back to the 50's...

The places I hunt dont allow ATV other than on the main roads. I hike every where usually 5 to 6 miles a morning with a 4 mile hike in the afternoon. And some how when there is a drive I'm never the one sitting and waiting.

At night its usually drinking and football on the radio. Poker game or corn hole. It's a good time but I'm usually in bed by 9pm haha.

This is my new place to call it a night a kodiak canvas 10'x10' works great in the snow and rain if you got yourself a buddy heater.
20190927_183911.jpg

The places I hunt dont allow ATV other than on the main roads. I hike every where usually 5 to 6 miles a morning with a 4 mile hike in the afternoon. And some how when there is a drive I'm never the one sitting and waiting.

At night its usually drinking and football on the radio. Poker game or corn hole. It's a good time but I'm usually in bed by 9pm haha.

This is my new place to call it a night a kodiak canvas 10'x10' works great in the snow and rain if you got yourself a buddy heater.
View attachment 623279
I love that Kodiak! Perfect! Was out of my price range when I got a new tent this summer, but yeah, you'll enjoy that for years to come!

For heat, I use a catalytic infrared heater. Burns 99% so I won't wake up dead in the morning!

Catalytic Htr 1.jpg

I got the nerve problem going on in my hips, thighs and feet, so, I try to limit the walking part (I call it my Psychotic Nerve). I like to find a natural blind, near a known deer trail, and hunker down most of the time. Then, curiosity gets the best of me and I stock the forest for a while. Soon, I'm feeling it, yet end up with a long hike back to camp. Just can't keep from over doing it! It's too awesome not to walk and enjoy the land.

@Cogs the kodiak was costly like 400 online. But the over all time with it in the future will justify the cost. This deer season it was in the low 50s during the day and below 32 at night with snow off and on. I was never cold inside. The heater was great and my new sleeping bag was good too.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top