JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going on a pig hunt in California. My two choices of rifle would be an AR10 338 Federal or a Remington 700 bolt rifle. The Remington 700 has a detachable mag, muzzle break and pistol grip. (Long range set up) being California I'm hesitant to use either rifle and can't find anyone to tell me if these are legal or not in that state. Anyone know what restrictions California has?

Your AR-10 would have to be featureless (not even one "evil" feature) or maglocked 10 round magazine, and not made on a banned by name lower. The Remington 700, if at least 26" in its shortest (this is the opposite of federal) configuration and barrel at least 16" would be fine. Note that you cannot buy any ammo in California so find the lead-free type you need before you go.

Don't underestimate how complicated California's
gun laws and hunting laws can be. In fact, maybe hunt somewhere else.

Your AR-10 would have to be featureless (not even one "evil" feature) or maglocked 10 round magazine, and not made on a banned by name lower. The Remington 700, if at least 26" in its shortest (this is the opposite of federal) configuration and barrel at least 16" would be fine. Note that you cannot buy any ammo in California so find the lead-free type you need before you go.

Don't underestimate how complicated California's
gun laws and hunting laws can be. In fact, maybe hunt somewhere else.
The barrel is 24" plus the break but the stock telescopes. It's still pretty long even compressed. Even the license agent couldn't answer my question. Hog hunting is the only reason I would ever go there

The 700 should be fine as long as it meets the min length collapsed. I'd pass on the AR.
The two places people get in trouble with firearms in CA are AW's and high cap mags. If your handgun mags hold more than 10 rounds leave them home.
Also OC laws get real complicated! The laws are so vague no one is really sure what is and is not legal.
While in CA your handgun must be carried in a locked container that is not your Glove Box, or Console.[ The Glove box and console are both named in the law].
And if asked by LE you must open the container so LE can inspect your gun to see it is not loaded. Even properly stored in your trunk.
I like hunting, But if I did not live here I would not go out of my way to hunt in CA! DR

The 700 should be fine as long as it meets the min length collapsed. I'd pass on the AR.
The two places people get in trouble with firearms in CA are AW's and high cap mags. If your handgun mags hold more than 10 rounds leave them home.
Also OC laws get real complicated! The laws are so vague no one is really sure what is and is not legal.
While in CA your handgun must be carried in a locked container that is not your Glove Box, or Console.[ The Glove box and console are both named in the law].
And if asked by LE you must open the container so LE can inspect your gun to see it is not loaded. Even properly stored in your trunk.
I like hunting, But if I did not live here I would not go out of my way to hunt in CA! DR
So if I carry my side arm (Glock) I need to buy a 10 round mag. So will I get into an issue since it can accept a 15

My rifle collapsed is 45" long

Are_you_serious.jpg

Whatever Dude....Surf's Up!

Aloha, Mark

What model is your Glock? I MIGHT and I mean that hesitantly, have a 10 round mag. I might also suggest to just buy a plain Jane combo rifle at bimart before you go for like $300. That's a lot cheaper than a fine you may or may not get off you unknowingly break their laws, get caught by a douche canoe cop

What model is your Glock? I MIGHT and I mean that hesitantly, have a 10 round mag. I might also suggest to just buy a plain Jane combo rifle at bimart before you go for like $300. That's a lot cheaper than a fine you may or may not get off you unknowingly break their laws, get caught by a douche canoe cop
G20

Just for FUN try reading The CA Penal Code.

And mind you that, some of this (linked info above) might have changed by recent court rulings. So.....even published info, is NOT always 100% reliable and/or up to date info.

Wanna risk your FREEDOM?

BUT, But, but......so, who do I ask?

Try a private licensed CA attorney or try the Attorney General of the State. Yeah......send the AG an e-mail with your "simple question". Include as much details as you can. LOL....you know how Lawyers are.....Rrrrright?

This reminds me of a story.

Maybe some of you might remember, anyway.....
Here in WA the legislation was passed about "bump stocks" being prohibited. No "grandfather clause". The enacted legislation, also called for a payment to made to the previously LEGAL-BUMP STOCK OWNERS if they would turn them in to the Govt.

I contacted the Sheriff's Dept. (via e-mail) about the process to "be legal". Yeah.....IIRC $150, for what cost me....never mind (nonya). Ka Ching Time!

Their response was.....
Sorry....there is NO MONEY available in that "fund". The legislature didn't fund it.

I told them to.....
OK, keep me in the loop as to when the money comes and I'll be sure to comply.

Guess how long it has been?

Rrrrright and still no word.

OK, Ok, ok.......I've already disposed of the bump stocks. BUT the lesson is.......

That the Govt.....SUCKS. And, even when/if it's the WRITTEN LAW......well, it don't in reality and/or necessarily mean C#@*.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I also have a story about the WA State AG. But you don't really need to hear about that one. Rrrrright.....because it's already been established that....

Govt.....SUCKS.

Last Edited:
I've hunted hard in this state in lots of units and have never seen one here. I'll look into this more. Thank you
a buddy of mine that hunts hard, lives in central, Oregon and has a 40-acre parcel with a cabin on it in the heart of Oregon pig country says that odfw has all but eradicated feral hogs. he says they hired trappers and hunters to go after them and poisoned them as well. he is well informed and has killed several pigs in the last few years. I believe what he is telling me

a buddy of mine that hunts hard, lives in central, Oregon and has a 40-acre parcel with a cabin on it in the heart of Oregon pig country says that odfw has all but eradicated feral hogs. he says they hired trappers and hunters to go after them and poisoned them as well. he is well informed and has killed several pigs in the last few years. I believe what he is telling me
There's no wild pigs in Oregon.

I'm going on a pig hunt in California. My two choices of rifle would be an AR10 338 Federal or a Remington 700 bolt rifle. The Remington 700 has a detachable mag, muzzle break and pistol grip. (Long range set up) being California I'm hesitant to use either rifle and can't find anyone to tell me if these are legal or not in that state. Anyone know what restrictions California has?
Save yourself a headache and bring the bolt action Since the Remington is not semi auto. the detachable mag, pistol grip and muzzle brake are all perfectly legal.
You would have to alter the AR to lock the mag in place among other things to make your AR style rifle legal for the PRK. Why bother,?

Good luck on your hunt. Where will you be hunting in CA?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top