JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kennewick teen accidentally shot while duck hunting - Mid-Columbia News | Tri-City Herald : Mid-Columbia news

Kennewick teen accidentally shot while duck hunting
By the Herald staff

WALLULA -- A Kennewick teenager was accidentally shot with a 12-gauge shotgun while duck hunting near Wallula Junction on Thursday.

The duck hunter -- reported to be 15 -- was flown to Kadlec Regional Medical Center in Richland by helicopter around 2 p.m., said Fire Chief Mike Wickstrom of Walla Walla County Fire District 5.

The teen suffered a severe flesh wound to his right upper arm after being hit by the shotgun blast from a foot away, Wickstrom said.

The teenager was hunting at Madame Dorian Memorial Park near the intersection of highways 12 and 730 with two friends, said Dep. Steve Duehn with the Walla Walla County Sheriff's Office.

The three boys are from Kennewick and all were licensed to hunt, he said.

The group was standing in about a foot of water when the gun accidentally fired, Wickstrom said. The boy waded to a nearby log and sat on it while his friends called 911 and one boy's aunt, who is a nurse.

With the aunt's guidance, the teenagers controlled the bleeding until help arrived, Wickstrom said.

"These boys did everything right," he said.

The arriving firefighters provided basic life support and carried the teen to a Northwest MedStar helicopter they had called in.

The boy was "conscious and real alert when we released him to MedStar," Wickstrom said.

The wound, though, "was about as bad as it can get without losing his arm," Wickstrom said.

Further information on the boy's condition was not available Thursday evening.
~~~~~

Where was the ADULT????? In Oregon at least unless something has changed a person under 18 is supposed to be under Adult supervision while hunting. Granted that could be a couple hundred yards apart etc. BUT still there should have been an Adult hunter with the boys if they were that young.

Granted an Adult being there may not have had any bearing on the accident. But Still.

My son didn't hunt on his own until he was 18. yet he was one of the safest people I know with a firearm by age 5!

I haven't taken the Hunter's Education Course so don't know how strongly muzzle awareness is emphasized but I'm sure it's not strong enough. I've moved far too many muzzles away from myself when other people are handling guns :(

My 5 and 8 year old KNOW not to point a gun in the direction of ANYTHING you dont intend to shoot, and ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are certain of your shot.... >.< Some peoples children... where were the adults? Things like this dont help out our gun rights at all.

Where was the ADULT????? In Oregon at least unless something has changed a person under 18 is supposed to be under Adult supervision while hunting. Granted that could be a couple hundred yards apart etc. BUT still there should have been an Adult hunter with the boys if they were that young.

Granted an Adult being there may not have had any bearing on the accident. But Still.

My son didn't hunt on his own until he was 18. yet he was one of the safest people I know with a firearm by age 5!
I disagree.
I've seen many scary adults with guns hunting. These boys were out enjoying each other and nature, vs video games and mommies boob.

1338591d1389221625-wruw-wed-thread_necromancy.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top