JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is the ODFW getting desperate for funding or are they concerned with hunters having an opportunity to hunt? I did not buy any hunting tags last year mainly because all the land closures in my area had overpopulated those areas which were still open with hunters. I wonder how many other hunters have opted out because of the increased competition in hunting areas.

Opening day at my favorite hunting spot a couple of years ago was much like the day after thanksgiving at Wal-mart. I am about to give up, it seems there are less areas to hunt, less animals, and the prices for licenses and tags keep going up.

As hunters become even more frustrated and tag fees get to the point which they are causing hunters not to buy, I wonder what the ODFW is going to do to make up for those lost tag and license sales? Hmmmm.....

Hunters now have way to purchase tag after deadline

September 3, 2009

SALEM, Ore.—ODFW is now offering hunters that have missed the tag sale deadline a process that allows them to still buy their tag and go hunting.

Beginning today, hunters that pay a $6.50 fee in addition to the tag fee and sign an affidavit stating they have not yet hunted during the season will be allowed to purchase the tag.

“Every year, we hear from hunters that failed to buy their tag due to an unforeseen circumstance, or SportsPac license holders that have already purchased a tag but failed to pick it up on time,” says Deanna Erickson, ODFW licensing services manager. “None of us like turning away hunters who have often already invested considerable time, effort and money preparing for the season.

We want to give everyone that wants to go hunting the chance to do so,” she added.

Hunters that wish to purchase a tag after the deadline must contact ODFW’s Licensing Services in Salem (503-947-6100) directly or through an ODFW field office that sells licenses. If purchasing at a field office, ODFW Licensing Services will need to fax an affidavit to that location for the hunter to sign. Hunters should anticipate that it will take one to three working days to complete the process and get the tag.

Beginning in 2010, the fee to purchase a tag after the deadline (the duplicate tag fee) will be $17.00.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2009/september/090309.asp

I havent opted out YET... but I have been trying other spots. I have one spot on private land that gets very little hunting pressure. Its because you have to park at the gate and hike in. A lot of hunters dont seem to want to do this anymore.

shoot first, purchase tag second. I see this as a money issue. There can not be any other reason. They already allow military to purchase documents after they return home and the rest of us have from December 1st of the previous year to purchase the documents. You will have to go to one of their offices to purchase them, not a store.

Heres what I keep thinking....... If a guy is that unorganized and unprepared as to not be able to pick up a license for about 9 months of the year, do we really want that person carrying a high powered rifle around the woods???

Heres what I keep thinking....... If a guy is that unorganized and unprepared as to not be able to pick up a license for about 9 months of the year, do we really want that person carrying a high powered rifle around the woods???

+1 on that.
I buy my license and apply for my tags the first week of the of the year, and buy the tags as soon as the draw result are posted. Never have to worry about deadlines.

This is BS! I completely agree the military should be able to buy a tag late if returning from deployment, but just the average idiot who waited till the last minute, NO! I suppose having them sign an affidavit saying they havent hunted makes some feel better, but I think its a total joke.

I havent opted out YET... but I have been trying other spots. I have one spot on private land that gets very little hunting pressure. Its because you have to park at the gate and hike in. A lot of hunters dont seem to want to do this anymore.

Yeah, I love getting into more primitive areas; the last few years, however, I have been hunting with my father, he can't walk far, but he sure enjoys getting out. I'm willing to put the deep woods hunting on the back burner as long as I can still take my dad with me. A few years ago, he got a handicap hunting permit so he could shoot from the road, etc.. The problem is that it seems these permits were given to anyone with a backache and the woods were crowded with even more road hunters and less area to hunt.

shoot first, purchase tag second. I see this as a money issue. There can not be any other reason. They already allow military to purchase documents after they return home and the rest of us have from December 1st of the previous year to purchase the documents. You will have to go to one of their offices to purchase them, not a store.

2 seperate issues here; a serviceman has no control over the length of his deployment and often no way to purchase tags while overseas, therefore we are obligated to allow him to buy his tag upon return as well as making any adjustments to his preference points etc. that are needed to give him the same opportunities to hunt and draw for tags as anyone else.

Anyone else, however, needs to just plan ahead and buy their darn tags. Hunting season starts every October. It isnt a surprise. if you arent bright enough to buy your tag by the deadline, too bad.

This seems like it could really open up the door to poaching. A lot of amoral people will think that they can just go out and hunt, and if they get a deer then they can walk in a buy a tag, if they don't get a deer then they'll have saved a bunch of money.

It use to be like this years ago when I first started hunting. Maybe mid 70's or so. Youcould goshoot a dear and if you gotmore than you hadtags for you would just run to town and get a tag for someone without.

The laws in Wa are this way, and after years of hunting and living up there, it didn't seem like poaching was any worse up there than it is down here right now. Also, unless the laws have changed in the last 4 years, up there you get a deer tag and you can hunt all of Washington for Mulies or White Tail without having to sign up for certain areas. All you need to do is put down the GMU (Game Management Unit) of the area where you took the animal when you fill out your tag... that you purchased before you went hunting of course :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top