JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Did I invent Hunter's Golf? I'd like to think it's an original idea, though I'm sure someone's already done something similar. I'm a big fan of leisure activities and I was planning on making a disk golf course in the back acres. I still might, though I figured shooting guns is way more fun than tossing a frisbee, so I got to making a course and laying some ground rules for Hunter's Golf. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Gun Golf Rules

The Course:

9 Holes

Each hole has different "drive" position.

• Sitting at bench
  • Standing supported
  • Standing unsupported
  • Kneeling
  • Sitting on ground
  • Prone
  • Standing behind barricade (shoot through small cutout)
  • Kneeling behind barricade (shoot through small cutout)
  • Standing supported against the tree
The targets range in size and distance. 150-200 yards, 8in-20in in size.

The Rules:
  • 3 drives per hole.
  • After your 3rd drive, you may choose to take 10 paces towards target following subsequent shots.
  • Subsequent shots are taken from the standing unsupported position.
  • After your 6th total shot, you must switch to your sidearm.
Traps:

Holes 5-9 contain traps. These traps are a penalty and must be completed before moving towards the hole. The trap occurs after your 6th shot on any given hole. At each trap, you must take a maximum of 3 attempts, though you may progress as sooner if a lesser number results in a hit. (i.e. if you make your trap shot on your first attempt, you may move on. Also, if your third attempt is a miss, you must more on.)

Trap 5: Bow and arrow shot into hay bale.

Trap 6: Shoot at target with sidearm upside down.

Trap 7: Shoot at target with rifle backwards, using a mirror to aim.

Trap 8: Shoot at target with sidearm using only non-dominate hand.

Trap 9: A thrown axe must stick into the stump.

Scoring:

Simply put, each shot is counted as a point. At the end of the game, the player with the least amount of points wins.

There's a little bit of strategy involved in deciding if you want to progress towards the target after your 3rd miss. If your confident you can hit the target before your 6th miss than, at times, it behooves you to stay at the supported drive position. However, if you choose this route and miss 6 times you're then stuck with your sidearm at a very long distance.

My course is still a work in progress. It would be easy to play the entire game just on my normal shooting range, but that would be boring after a while. Currently, I only have 6 holes set up and I still need to move my obstacles to the right spots. Flags marking the holes and signs designating the driving locations are on the agenda as well. One of my main goals was to have good flow to the course; I wanted the next drive position to be reasonably close to the target of of the previous round. I've been running the course by myself quite a bit and my wife has accompanied me a few times as well. This game is a great way to enjoy the back acres, get some exercise and practice marksmanship at the same time. At the moment I've only been using .22lr though I'm planning on taking the .357 lever out next round. One thing I did learn from playing this game is just how useful magnified optics really are. A 6in steel plate at 150 yards is dang near impossible to see in this setting, but even with a 3x power scope, the plate is as clear as can be.

All of the targets are on my property, and all of them are located in safe shooting positions. Also, each shot is either uphill or downhill, so if you miss, the bullet will impact dirt a few feet beyond the target.

IMG_20210414_094721931_2.jpg IMG_20210414_112614313_2.jpg IMG_20210414_114631497_2.jpg IMG_20210414_120006423_HDR_2.jpg IMG_20210414_121529677_3.jpg IMG_20210414_113543531_2 (1).jpg

I'd stay away from the fancy stuff like shooting a pistol upside down and would instead go offhand. You could use clay targets for hits. Sounds pretty cool.

I'd stay away from the fancy stuff like shooting a pistol upside down and would instead go offhand. You could use clay targets for hits. Sounds pretty cool.
I'm just using a .22lr revolver. It's actually pretty fun to try and shoot it upside down. Probably not something I'd try with a full sized gun.

Yesterday evening I was watching my grandson shoot trap. Chatting with the wife and his mom while doing so the subject of golf came up in a passing manner. My mind then drifted to playing golf with shotguns. The way I thought about it would be hard on the grass, though. :D

Yesterday evening I was watching my grandson shoot trap. Chatting with the wife and his mom while doing so the subject of golf came up in a passing manner. My mind then drifted to playing golf with shotguns. The way I thought about it would be hard on the grass, though. :D

Try sporting clays, I've yet to do it, but it sure looks a lot like golf with a shotgun.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Would be really cool to get a bunch of NWFA folk together and play a game.

I Like it but wheres the clubhouse bar for relaxing afterwards?

I like my version it's a bit easier. Take a golf ball stick it in the launcher mounted on an AR, launch it into a field and set AR down. Pick up one of my clubs rifles and take a swing shot if I miss then another golfer gets to take a turn swinging shooting. I call it the same as regular golf "Pasture Pool". Best to use very new bright white, neon green or some other easily spotted ball. Bad thing is it can only be played when the Farmers groundskeepers spiff up the course and mow harvest the crop.

Back in the 50's my cousin and I used to play "22 hockey". We would set up goal posts on opposite sides of a field and put one of the thousand or so old golf ball mu grand dad had in a bin in one of the barns in the middle. We would take turns shooting the golf ball towards the other guys goal and replace the golf ball when it got too shot up. It was a ton of fun...

I Like it but wheres the clubhouse bar for relaxing afterwards?

I like my version it's a bit easier. Take a golf ball stick it in the launcher mounted on an AR, launch it into a field and set AR down. Pick up one of my clubs rifles and take a swing shot if I miss then another golfer gets to take a turn swinging shooting. I call it the same as regular golf "Pasture Pool". Best to use very new bright white, neon green or some other easily spotted ball. Bad thing is it can only be played when the Farmers groundskeepers spiff up the course and mow harvest the crop.

My new deck is almost done! I too have one of those golf ball launchers, it would be fun to play around or two with it.

My new deck is almost done! I too have one of those golf ball launchers, it would be fun to play around or two with it.
Since I bought mine years ago, I have wanted to go down the road aways and go out in the neighbors field and launch some onto the country clubs course to confuse the heck out of em. The juvenile delinquent in me is telling me it would be a blast but the lil guy in my head tells me I'd have a not so enjoyable visit from a buddy of mine thats a deputy sheriff.

Did I invent Hunter's Golf? I'd like to think it's an original idea, though I'm sure someone's already done something similar. I'm a big fan of leisure activities and I was planning on making a disk golf course in the back acres. I still might, though I figured shooting guns is way more fun than tossing a frisbee, so I got to making a course and laying some ground rules for Hunter's Golf. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Gun Golf Rules

The Course:

9 Holes

• Sitting at bench
  • Standing supported
  • Standing unsupported
  • Kneeling
  • Sitting on ground
  • Prone

The Rules:
  • 3 drives per hole.
  • After your 3rd drive, you may choose to take 10 paces towards target following subsequent shots.
Traps:

Holes 5-9 contain traps. These traps are a penalty and must be completed before moving towards the hole. The trap occurs after your 6th shot on any given hole. At each trap, you must take a maximum of 3 attempts, though you may progress as sooner if a lesser number results in a hit. (i.e. if you make your trap shot on your first attempt, you may move on. Also, if your third attempt is a miss, you must more on.)

Scoring:

Simply put, each shot is counted as a point. At the end of the game, the player with the least amount of points wins.

There's a little bit of strategy involved in deciding if you want to progress towards the target after your 3rd miss. If your confident you can hit the target before your 6th miss than, at times, it behooves you to stay at the supported drive position. However, if you choose this route and miss 6 times you're then stuck with your sidearm at a very long distance.

My course is still a work in progress. It would be easy to play the entire game just on my normal shooting range, but that would be boring after a while. Currently, I only have 6 holes set up and I still need to move my obstacles to the right spots. Flags marking the holes and signs designating the driving locations are on the agenda as well. One of my main goals was to have good flow to the course; I wanted the next drive position to be reasonably close to the target of of the previous round. I've been running the course by myself quite a bit and my wife has accompanied me a few times as well. This game is a great way to enjoy the back acres, get some exercise and practice marksmanship at the same time. At the moment I've only been using .22lr though I'm planning on taking the .357 lever out next round. One thing I did learn from playing this game is just how useful magnified optics really are. A 6in steel plate at 150 yards is dang near impossible to see in this setting, but even with a 3x power scope, the plate is as clear as can be.

All of the targets are on my property, and all of them are located in safe shooting positions. Also, each shot is either uphill or downhill, so if you miss, the bullet will impact dirt a few feet beyond the target.

View attachment 862090View attachment 862091View attachment 862092View attachment 862093View attachment 862094View attachment 862095

Sounds like fun to me. I'd play it any way you want to run it. But, I submit to you the first thing that I thought of when reading the thread title... it went something like this: You've got an 8" steel plate with a hole cut out of it...maybe 2.5" or so right in the middle. A clay pigeon hangs on the far side of the steel and that's your target. Break the clay on your first shot, congrats it's a hole in one! Hit the steel? Move closer and try again. Repeat until the clay falls.

Gun Golf Rules

The Course:

9 Holes

• Sitting at bench
  • Standing supported
  • Standing unsupported
  • Kneeling
  • Sitting on ground
  • Prone

The Rules:
  • 3 drives per hole.
Traps:

Scoring:

View attachment 862090View attachment 862091View attachment 862092View attachment 862093View attachment 862094View attachment 862095

Wow you put a lot of thought into that bro :s0112: . I love it. When I had my 22-250 I just used to start at 100yds and If I vaporized it I would yell, "Woo-hoo! hole in one!" I hate regular golf. Golf balls are great targets though.

Don't forget to replace your divots:p. Depending on the gun you might need to bring a shovel haha.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top