JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if you have Facebook this is perhaps one of my favorite hardcore hunting blacktail stories. Every see a hunting guide video on trophy blacktail like you do whitetail or muleys... probably not, and for good reason. They are known as "grey ghosts" and the hardest trophy deer to hunt in the world. This guy hunted one blacktail buck for 4.5 years and scored him with the good ol boy system of 4pt like he should.

What does he mean it didn't die due to predators? Didn't he just stalk and kill that thing to.... You know, EAT it? Pretty darn sure he's a predator. Also, that's a pretty goober thumbs up picture. Probably exactly what I'd look like :D

What does he mean it didn't die due to predators? Didn't he just stalk and kill that thing to.... You know, EAT it? Pretty darn sure he's a predator. Also, that's a pretty goober thumbs up picture. Probably exactly what I'd look like :D
I get it... but, semantics. If a prey species makes it to old age (rare but happens) they die a slow painful death, usually starvation or untreated disease like cancer. (Ive heard that in the wild old deer and elk they die of starvation because of tooth wear and decay they can no longer chew properly). If they die by predation, Id rather it be a hunter... a whole lot quicker and painless than being ripped apart alive by a cougar. The cycle of life is brutal.

Too much damn math involved for me right now, but after peaking at this, it seems that they're not couting actual points, or going by the standard of how many are on one antler... there's some voodoo where they tally up the number of points total, add or subtract the oddballs on a non-symmetrical antler, take in moon phase, height, length, girth, mother's maiden name...and come up with a score :confused:

You forgot to divide by the rotational speed of the third moon of aquarius. :s0114:

An alleged 19 point buck shot in Michigan this week.

Tracking a deer for 6 years.
Hmmm.
Evidently he doesn't have a job or a family.
Is this a reflection of his tracking skills or did he just kill a deer that was a MENSA candidate?
Watch the video and you will see this is a privately managed area, who knows how big, where the guy actually groomed the buck for six years before he thought it reached full potential.
"My buddies and I have a system of trail cams where I watched this buck for six years"...

Also, it's got 11 points... IMO

Still a nice looking buck, if I ever go for a hunt, I hope to get one like that.

Cool buck for sure but I would call it a 4 point with double eye gaurds on one side and some extra junk which all looks to be under 1". Good story on chasing it for than many seasons though.

That's what would be known as an "non-typical" rack.

I'm agreeable to 11pt if one counts the eye gourds as horns instead of those little bumps below them. But I thought all the tines that get counted had to be up on the main bifurcation?

And WTF is up with that other deer being called a 19pt??? What is wrong with these pitchers?

I'm not getting 17 point.:s0078: I get a west coast six pointer with eye guards.
Even doubling that for the eastern weird counting system its a 12 pointer, throw in the eye guards to makem happy its still just a 14, but 17??? Just how little can a bump be to be called a point?
No way snubbing the nice rack, just the evaluation system used.
As for me, unless it is going to top out on the Boon and Crocket, I'd rather have a nice fat Oregon forked horn or three pointer (four or six point if you must) for tenderer meat.
Here ye, here ye !!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top