JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not getting 17 point.:s0078: I get a west coast six pointer with eye guards.
Even doubling that for the eastern weird counting system its a 12 pointer, throw in the eye guards to makem happy its still just a 14, but 17??? Just how little can a bump be to be called a point?
No way snubbing the nice rack, just the evaluation system used.
As for me, unless it is going to top out on the Boon and Crocket, I'd rather have a nice fat Oregon forked horn or three pointer (four or six point if you must) for tenderer meat.

Too much damn math involved for me right now, but after peaking at this, it seems that they're not couting actual points, or going by the standard of how many are on one antler... there's some voodoo where they tally up the number of points total, add or subtract the oddballs on a non-symmetrical antler, take in moon phase, height, length, girth, mother's maiden name...and come up with a score :confused:

Here's a tail of a guy shooting a "51 point buck" :rolleyes: - its no where near as impressive as that would imply. Looks typical in size, but his rack looks all...mangled.

Here is a pic of this guys "17 point" buck...

5dceb5027fbaa.image.jpg

While I an no way imploring this hunters success but understand something -
Unlike Mule deer Whitetail deer live their entire life in a very small area - like about one square mile.
I have read many accounts of hunters scoring on a deer after many years but a square mile doesn't take you too far from home - or camp.

While I an no way imploring this hunters success understand something -
Unlike Mule deer Whitetail deer live their entire life in a very small area - like about one square mile.
I have read many accounts of hunters scoring on a deer after many years but a square mile doesn't take you too far from home - or camp.

Same with blacktails, but they aren't an easy hunt. Having hunted whitetails quite
a bit, I feel like they move more and pattern easier, but will also get out of dodge quicker.

To me, mule deer are the easiest deer to hunt.

Oh yeah? I shot a forked horn in the back of the head, so, skull fragments counting it must have been a 29 pointer.

I'm not going to criticize the guys hunting skill, and success. He hunted that thing and deserves recognition as a hunter. Thats a damn nice buck. But I will criticize any scoring system that calls that a 17 point. But whatever. Thats a 10pt by eastern whitetail good ol boy standard or 5pt by western good ol boy standard. If you count the eye guards.

Same with blacktails, but they aren't an easy hunt. Having hunted whitetails quite
a bit, I feel like they move more and pattern easier, but will also get out of dodge quicker.

To me, mule deer are the easiest deer to hunt.

if you have Facebook this is perhaps one of my favorite hardcore hunting blacktail stories. Every see a hunting guide video on trophy blacktail like you do whitetail or muleys... probably not, and for good reason. They are known as "grey ghosts" and the hardest trophy deer to hunt in the world. This guy hunted one blacktail buck for 4.5 years and scored him with the good ol boy system of 4pt like he should.

I'm not going to criticize the guys hunting skill, and success. He hunted that thing and deserves recognition as a hunter. Thats a damn nice buck. But I will criticize any scoring system that calls that a 17 point. But whatever. Thats a 10pt by eastern whitetail good ol boy standard or 5pt by western good ol boy standard. If you count the eye guards.

I would be happier calling it a 179 B&C green score.

if you have Facebook this is perhaps one of my favorite hardcore hunting blacktail stories. Every see a hunting guide video on trophy blacktail like you do whitetail or muleys... probably not, and for good reason. They are known as "grey ghosts" and the hardest trophy deer to hunt in the world. This guy hunted one blacktail buck for 4.5 years and scored him with the good ol boy system of 4pt like he should.

Ho Lee Fuk

Cous deer is even harder than the black tails.
Black tails are something I wished I would of had better success at.
I have shot a 4x4, but it was luck and opportunity without notice.
I don't think a 179 inch buck is Fox News worthy.
Call us when it's 200+

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top