JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So weird, this similar thing happened in Michigan this week. Two brothers deer hunting. They were stalking a deer when one brother mis-identified the other as a deer and shot him.

I just cannot comprehend the level of stupidity, carelessness, and negligence involved but to have it happen so often is unthinkable. HTF do you see an object, knowing it could be something other than a deer, and open fire??? Your own hunting partner or brother is in the field with you and you simply fire at a "maybe" target thru the thicket?!?!?! It's beyond me...

I would like to assume, maybe naively, that a ETHICAL hunter can properly identify WTF he is shooting (is this something that I have a tag for, i.e. is it a buck or a doe? Is it even a deer or something else? etc.). Also, a clean shot. Not a leg shot. Not a rump shot. But a clean lung/heart or head shot to put the deer down immediately to ease suffering, reduce tracking, and salvage maximum meat. And most importantly, is this my hunting partner who I KNOW is in the field with me? Is this a different hunter?

I cannot fathom the stupid criminally negligent recklessness of just seeing some shape, and firing. That demonstrates none of the above hunting ethics, not even considering the criminal negligence of shooting another person who you know is in the field. It's unbelievable yet so common.

Finally, why aren't these morons wearing hunter orange vests and hats? I thought that was mandatory! Good grief these idiots give hunters and gun owners a bad name.

Blaze orange isn't a requirement in some states. But knowing what you're shooting at, is!

Blaze orange isn't a requirement in some states. But knowing what you're shooting at, is!
I used to feel the same way until I got scoped on a hill side by some rednecks in a beater truck. I wasn't wearing orange so I proceeded to wave my arms A LOT to appear as human as possible. Now I wear orange if I hunt, no exceptions.

Hopefully this makes the full camo crowd reconsider the way they dress

Camo or not, I dare say that if you can't tell the difference between a human in camo and a deer, you should not be hunting, much less shooting.

I don't hunt anymore, but I see a LOT of deer here on my mountain, sometimes close enough to throw a rock at them. Never mistaken a human for a deer.

always ID your target. i almost (inadvertantly) shot at a TRESSPASSING goose hunter once. he was in full camo, set up a TON of decoys, illegal electronic call and was laying down right in the middle of them. a buddy of mine were walking to our spot on his property when we saw the flock of geese. we were gonna flush'm up and shoot them right at legal shooting time. when we got close enough we both were pointing at the flock expecting them to fly away and the guy stood up and said THEYRE DECOYS!! THEYRE DECOYS!! boy, he got an ear full from my friend the property owner.

No blaze orange. I don't get that. We wear blaze orange when we hunt mushrooms. 18 kinds of camouflage but no blaze orange.
Yeah, I don't get it. When I'm out in the woods, I'm always thinking about people wanting to shoot into the bushes at me, just because they "heard a noise". I've also heard guys make the excuse that you can't shoot any big game animals when wearing orange. BS. The biggest BS excuse I've ever heard, but some guys actually think that way. It took me forever to convince my elk hunting partner that you can shoot elk and deer, even while wearing blaze orange. If that hunter ever goes hunting again, he will probably be wearing orange the next time. If not, he's just as (not smart) as his hunting partner....;)

From what I understand deer are color blind and orange and red are very close to them with thier narrow color spectrum. Other things may be more powerful to them...

Camo or not, I dare say that if you can't tell the difference between a human in camo and a deer, you should not be hunting, much less shooting.
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately there are too many overly anxious knuckle draggers running around the woods who can't wait to pull the trigger on something. I'd rather dress like a pumpkin than risk getting shot by one

I gotta ask. Who deer hunts with a shotgun? A slug gun, okay. Article states he was shot through the upper body with buck shot. o_O

It's pretty common on the east coast. Thick cover, use of dogs/deer drives and dense populations make buckshot popular and in some areas it may be the only legal option.

I see. I looked and smallest buckshot appears to be 1/4" dia. That would be too small i'd think.

I don't hunt anymore, but I see a LOT of deer here on my mountain, sometimes close enough to throw a rock at them. Never mistaken a human for a deer.
With that said, you should never be shooting at "movement." If you can't clearly see that it is in fact the animal you are hunting, no shots should be taken. I know this sounds like ridiculously simple logic but ...think of all of the warning labels they have to put on products... then think of WHY they have to put those there.

Warning: Do NOT take this toaster into the bath tub or shower.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top