JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The comments to the article are really sad.

That said ...I do agree with the one that was pointing out the lack of details , like did the hunter survive...?
And with that said...I can't really comment much...'cause of the lack of details.
Andy

The victim was rushed to the hospital after the buckshot passed through his upper body and was taken into surgery. His condition was not clear as of Friday

It is always good to fully ID your target and backstop before shooting...that said....
The mind at times can see what it wants or expects to see and not what is actually there.

The hunter is out hunting deer , his hunting partner is in his stand ( so he thinks ) ...he hears a noise in the woods , he is thinking deer and " sees " a deer ...shoots , then realizes that he shot his friend...
I can understand , if not condone what might have happened here...

I say might 'cause as I mention above in my first post ...details are lacking in the article.

And with all that said....
I have been hunting since I was 13 and have never shot at another hunter...I have even passed up on shots because I wasn't completely sure of what I was looking at or didn't have a good back stop....
it is hard for me to read or hear of these stories.

I do hope for swift and complete recovery for the shot hunter and a lesson learned for the hunter who shot his buddy.
Andy

It is always good to fully ID your target and backstop before shooting...that said....
The mind at times can see what it wants or expects to see and not what is actually there.

The hunter is out hunting deer , his hunting partner is in his stand ( so he thinks ) ...he hears a noise in the woods , he is thinking deer and " sees " a deer ...shoots , then realizes that he shot his friend...
I can understand , if not condone what might have happened here...

I say might 'cause as I mention above in my first post ...details are lacking in the article.

And with all that said....
I have been hunting since I was 13 and have never shot at another hunter...I have even passed up on shots because I wasn't completely sure of what I was looking at or didn't have a good back stop....
it is hard for me to read or hear of these stories.

I do hope for swift and complete recovery for the shot hunter and a lesson learned for the hunter who shot his buddy.
Andy
I'm with you.. You went there with a friend and unless you can see him or others that might be around you must use caution...

It is always good to fully ID your target and backstop before shooting..
Good? It's ESSENTIAL to make sure your clearly identify what you are shooting at!
You do NOT shoot until you are 100% sure it is the game you are hunting!
This unfortunately is an age old hunting scenario which takes it's toll year after year.

Agree complete with everything you said Andy. I came close to catching some pellets while duck hunting. The area had prepared blinds and the ding a ling across the pond was retrieving a bird and walking down a dike, with his shotgun. Had birds start coming into my decoy spread (kind of a clue there is a hunter in that blind). He attempts to wing shoot 'em as they are coming in, directly at my blind. As the pellets came through the blind I was already on the deck. I loudly let him know I was there and my shotgun was still loaded ... frackin moron.

So, what do you say after you've shot your friend on accident? That's gotta be a neat conversation.

A4954E86-FCB6-48B1-8D25-A66631499FA4.png

No blaze orange. I don't get that. We wear blaze orange when we hunt mushrooms. 18 kinds of camouflage but no blaze orange.
Same here, and my kids always wear orange in the woods regardless of what we're doing out there. I see your location by your name. We already lost one hunter in our area to a .308 this year. Hopefully this makes the full camo crowd reconsider the way they dress

So weird, this similar thing happened in Michigan this week. Two brothers deer hunting. They were stalking a deer when one brother mis-identified the other as a deer and shot him.

I just cannot comprehend the level of stupidity, carelessness, and negligence involved but to have it happen so often is unthinkable. HTF do you see an object, knowing it could be something other than a deer, and open fire??? Your own hunting partner or brother is in the field with you and you simply fire at a "maybe" target thru the thicket?!?!?! It's beyond me...

I would like to assume, maybe naively, that a ETHICAL hunter can properly identify WTF he is shooting (is this something that I have a tag for, i.e. is it a buck or a doe? Is it even a deer or something else? etc.). Also, a clean shot. Not a leg shot. Not a rump shot. But a clean lung/heart or head shot to put the deer down immediately to ease suffering, reduce tracking, and salvage maximum meat. And most importantly, is this my hunting partner who I KNOW is in the field with me? Is this a different hunter?

I cannot fathom the stupid criminally negligent recklessness of just seeing some shape, and firing. That demonstrates none of the above hunting ethics, not even considering the criminal negligence of shooting another person who you know is in the field. It's unbelievable yet so common.

Finally, why aren't these morons wearing hunter orange vests and hats? I thought that was mandatory! Good grief these idiots give hunters and gun owners a bad name.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top