JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The first place I saw this didn't have as many details as this source.

<broken link removed>

A 45-year old man, who lives across the road from where the boy was shot, contacted deputies after they arrived on scene. The man told deputies he was in his home when he saw a deer in the front part of his property and shot four times, killing the deer. After learning of the boy's injury, the man told deputies he thought one of the rounds may have struck the boy whom he did not see in the background less than 100 yards from his house.

Sounds like the guy did a very poor job of evaluating his backstop.

Not only was he not paying attention to what was beyond his target but he was also shooting toward a road. If I read the story correctly the boys were waiting at an intersection waiting for the school bus. That was a bad call any way you look at it on the part of the "hunter".

What the **** is it with these people? Seems like every other day i read about another hunter in a accidental shooting. Seriousally, is it that hard to look and think where would the bullet go if you do miss? Or is it to hard to be aware of your suroundings?

Reminds me of my 7 year old. Wanting to shoot at anything that moves.

I live right in the middle of some of the best big game hunting on Oregon and our home and acreage is immediately adjacent to the NF - it's not my neighbors I'm worried about but all the out of town folks who barrel down the road and then stand on the brakes when they see deer or turkeys or whatever on our property. People make me nervous.

A thought just occurred to me. Since this kid got shot during hunting season but was not hunting do you think they'll start requiring any child anywhere outside of a building to wear blaze orange? After all, it is for the children!!!

No, the gun haters will just use this as more fodder for their cause.

I spent some time in Arkansas. Most deer hunters there use shot guns. Rifles are legal for hunting but most do not use them. With farm houses every 1/2 mile they don't like to worry about where a rifle shot goes.

Rule number 3 of firearms, be sure of your target and the backstop beyond...poor judgement is at the bottom of the list on this one. This guy was shooting towards a road, in a rural area I'm assuming, but that right there seems kinda dumb. If it were my kid that just got shot I would be pressing charges to the max and the county da needs to on this dumbass as well. Give us gun owners / hunters a bad name...don't need this kinda crap.

I spent some time in Arkansas. Most deer hunters there use shot guns. Rifles are legal for hunting but most do not use them. With farm houses every 1/2 mile they don't like to worry about where a rifle shot goes.
which is really dumb. A rifle shot may travel farther but studies have shown that a ricochet from a shotgun is far more dangerous than a rifle. A rifle goes splat, fragments or whatever, but it loses nearly all of it's power, but a slug is a freaking boulder that even at a slow pace is still much more dangerous and goes much farther than a rifle round.

They need to charge every one of these "hunters" with murder or manslaughter and make a statement.

I can not even think what it would feel like for the rest of my life to:
a) have shot a kid with no reason for doing so
b) Having my child shot like that.

I know I would be calling and the cops to place the guy in protective custody because I am rather afraid of what may befall the farmer were it my child.

I see a lot of angst for the farmer.

And 4 shots to kill a deer. I can see 2 if you don't get a clean shot one the first one, but it sounds to me like buck fever to me. Also and if I am wrong correct me. Isn't it against OREGON law to shoot across the road. And isn't BLAZE ORANGE required when you are hunting? Does not sound like he was wearing it.

I can not even think what it would feel like for the rest of my life to:
a) have shot a kid with no reason for doing so
b) Having my child shot like that.

I know I would be calling and the cops to place the guy in protective custody because I am rather afraid of what may befall the farmer were it my child.

I see a lot of angst for the farmer.

And 4 shots to kill a deer. I can see 2 if you don't get a clean shot one the first one, but it sounds to me like buck fever to me. Also and if I am wrong correct me. Isn't it against OREGON law to shoot across the road. And isn't BLAZE ORANGE required when you are hunting? Does not sound like he was wearing it.

Blaze Orange is only required for juvenile hunters in Oregon. Adults can wear what they choose. Besides, I don't think this "hunter" would have made a better choice in this situation if he was wearing orange. An idiot is an idiot regardless of what attire he is wearing.

Things this chump-stain did wrong:
1. Shot towards a road that was obviously within range of the rifle he was using
2. Four, yes four freakin rounds to do in a deer. Either this guy can't hit the broadside of a barn, the deer was wearing kevlar/plates or it was one of those new zombie deer which require trauma to the brain pan to kill.
3. Was not sure of his backstop.

Whatever happens, make an example of him as what not to do.
We as armed citizens need to police our own, otherwise others will. If you see someone practicing poor decisions with a firearm, you have a duty to say/do something. Just as if you saw a drunk trying to get into a car and drive away. Grow a set, speak kindly but firmly in way that YOU would want to be reminded, if that doesn't work, do not hesitate to withdrawal and call the police.

High at that

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaQd8Ij336Ko_szlAtdr2XrEmCW-KHub-R_9DCzlUfkJfgZN7pgA.jpg

What the heck is wrong with a person like this? The anti-gun folks are going to have a field day. Poor kid.

The parents will probably sue this guy in civil court. He'll lose everything just for one incredibly stupid mistake. The D.A. will file enough criminal charges to ensure that a judge will rule that he can never legally own a gun again, probation, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top