JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would think it more likely its a large breed domestic dog/coyote hybrid. I could be wrong but I have a hard time seeing a wolf mating with a coyote.
But it sure doesnt look like a normal song dog, thats for sure.

You have a point. Wolves will usually try to drive coyotes out of their range. Or, it could have been a wolf that swings both ways. ;)

this guy was a little confused, i think i shot a wolf , oh yea i better run to the game commish and report myself, cause i don't want to hunt for the next 20 :s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114:years.

I would think it more likely its a large breed domestic dog/coyote hybrid. I could be wrong but I have a hard time seeing a wolf mating with a coyote.
But it sure doesnt look like a normal song dog, thats for sure.

Wolves kill coyotes whenever possible. I trapped in MO for several years and caught many foxes and coyotes. That's NOT a coyote. The coat says domestic dog, not wild dog. The muzzle is definitely wild dog. It is most likely a domestic dog/coyote cross, which would explain the size.

couple interesting article on the subject

Coyote + wolf = new breed of predator - Technology & science - Science - DiscoveryNews.com - msnbc.com

<broken link removed>

I think that normally, they wont interbreed, but faced with extinction, or just a strong sex drive, heck, my heeler tried to breed a coyote once.

From the first article:

Generally coyotes kill dogs; dogs avoid coyotes,...

Um, tell that to my bluetick coonhounds. They don't seem to understand that the coyotes are the ones that are supposed to do the killing and that the hounds are supposed to be the ones to run away.

Coyotes are legal game during deer season, so the hunter shot and killed it, the department said. But when the hunter got a closer look at the animal, he wondered if he had mistakenly shot and killed a wolf, which is a protected species in Missouri, the department said. The hunter contacted the MDC, which tested the animal's DNA and determined it was in fact a coyote.

I have to give the guy credit, I would have completed the final 2 or the three S's if I thought I shot a Wolf.

this guy was a little confused, i think i shot a wolf , oh yea i better run to the game commish and report myself, cause i don't want to hunt for the next 20 :s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114:years.

I thought the same thing! Not sure I would have been so forthcoming. He is just lucky the DNA came back the way it did, or his pocket book would be lighter while his criminal record would be heavier.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top