JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While off deer hunting in the John Day area one of our hunters locked his keys in his new Dodge Truck.
Left them laying in the console tray. We were up in the Mountains 35 miles from the nearest town. The owner spent hours trying to slip wires through the door gasket to pull up the handle or push pin lock device. No luck!

So they took one of the other trucks down to an area where they could get cell service and called triple A. This happened on a Sunday too so it took some time to get the guy up to our campsite. He opened a bag full of special tools and had the door locked popped in less than one minute. Ah sweet success!

Next day he did the same thing, keys in the console and shut the door. But this time he only shut the door to its first click, not all the way shut. So after hours of fiddling around we were able to loop a lightweight string over the lock push button, tighten it up and unlock the door.

The truck owner learned a hard lesson. While hunting keep a key hidden somewhere or with another hunter.

Have you had a similar experience or known someone who did??

Your thoughts?:)

I would have found a rock and cracked myself in the forehead with it! Dude, have your friend go to a lock smith shop and pick up a steel key hook that mounts on your belt. Keep the fob on the belt and the keys in the pocket.

I have to use my key (actually a fob - key and remote in one) to lock the car.

..however it is possible for me to open the trunk while in the car, get out, lock the car and then go to the trunk to get something and lock the key in there. ..Have not done it yet, but I'm always paranoid about it.

I have to use my key (actually a fob - key and remote in one) to lock the car.

..however it is possible for me to open the trunk while in the car, get out, lock the car and then go to the trunk to get something and lock the key in there. ..Have not done it yet, but I'm always paranoid about it.

This!!! Dont do it! I have done this twice with my Jetta! grrrr.

Zip tie a key to the undercarriage. Works for me.

That's exactly what I do, and it actually impressed my GF's teenagers when I was back inside my car 15 seconds later. Thus, my perceived status is elevated to somewhere between Homer Simpson and Liam Neeson. So Bam!

But here's what gets me...

I cannot begin to understand why any car manufacturer would set it up so the pocket remote door unlocker (which I carry separately from my keys), does NOT work if the car is accidentally locked with a key in the ignition. WTF???

I'm also not getting why I have to push the 4-door lock button inside the driver's door UP to lock the whole car, and DOWN to unlock it.

Has the world gone crazy?

Can't remember when I did that. But one time down the coast heading to a job. Stopped at a rest area for a break. And there was a gal trying to coat hanger the door of an older Toyota car. My assistant grab the keys to our Toyota work truck, and walked over and unlocked her door, apparently once the keys get old and worn. They'll work on almost any same era rig.
Oh and I have a spare wired up in an obscure spot on my truck. And since the lock on the inside broke, I have to lock the door with the key anyway, so I intentionally never fixed it. I think when I was just out of high school I did lock em in. It only took about 10 minutes to take out the back window the another 15 to get it back in.

wired up to the undercarriage is a good plan - also I don't know if they do it any more but AAA used to have a "credit card key" they would cut for your cars. Basically a plastic key set into a credit card shaped piece of plastic - great so you don't loose the key in your wallet.

2005 was the first time elk hunting with my dad in years. We were heading into an area and we a little unsure of where to stop. I left the truck running and got out to look (I was driving). Dad hopped out, too. Unfortunately he bumped the lock button before he shut the door. We decided that I would break one of the supercab's side windows to get in. (they are the kind that pop open a ways) I grabbed the window and pulled. I pulled the rivets out of the door frame and the window opened. Then I was able to use a long stick to stretch across the cab and trip the lock button on the driver's door.
When we got back to camp Dad gave me his spare key. Every year we hunted after that Dad always stashed a spare key.
Until this year I always used my old Ford for hunting. Can't lock the door without the key.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top