1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Humidity, dank affect reloading?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by GuyBMeredith, Jan 29, 2015.

1. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

I'm wondering whether Salem's dank Winters, humid Summers affect reloading. I haven't figured a way to set up my gear in the house so I will probably set up in the garage which has an ambiance that tracks the conditions outside.

Right now my tentative plan is to set up in the garage and have a propane heater for the colder days. I do not know whether the heater helps with dankness.
  2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Store primers/powder inside or at least in a sealed container. You need ventilation with the propane heat or you could end up with a greenhouse affect. Also when done reloading wipe down dies and press with a light oil to avoid rust.
    evltwn likes this.
  3. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Humidity control is a bit of a problem in a residential application during the winter months. In the summer, not so much because you can run an AC unit to bring the RH under control without freezing your rear off.

Propane heat will humidify the air.
  4. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

I reload in a detached, unheated garage. When it's cold I run an electric space heater to bring up the temp.

Haven't had any problems to-date.

I store my powders in their original containers in that space and always empty out my powder hopper at the end of the session. Since primers aren't in sealed containers I store them in the house.
  5. WillametteWill

WillametteWill Willamette Valley Active Member

Yea, what they all said. I would just recommend storing the primers inside since you need to be careful of what type of sealed containers you place them in. Lots of primers, in a small, sealed, metal container is called a bomb.
  6. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I reload in my garage. Store all my primers and powder inside though. Never had any problem with heat or humidity. I use a Little Buddy heater when it gets too cold.

What I have found is heat and humidity can have a dramatic effect on group size. The load that shoots great in the summer needs adjustment in order to shoot great in the middle of winter.