JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nitro yes, nitrous no.
No nitrous allowed in NHRA Top Fuel classes.

Unless maybe you're talking about unlimited sportsman classes. There's lots of those in the NHRA/IHRA

Glad you enjoyed it anyway!

Jealousy always breeds criticism tits ;-)
Force is my favorite driver. John "The Snake" Prudhomme was my old school favorite. Still smiling at the thought of the fun you had.

Wish I was there - think I still have my pit pass from the '77 Orange County winter nationals (RIP Orange County International Raceway). And you are correct - infineon will always be Sears Point.

I went to Seattle last year , WOW WHAT A RUSHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!! I was hoping to go this time around but things came up. It is worth the trip, an experience you won't forget. WoodBurn Dragstrip is a fun way to spend a day also............

When I was 10-ish, an elderly neighbor (with a Studebaker Hawk) gave my dad and me his Popular Mechanics and Pop Sci mags every month after he read them. I also got car and motorcycle magazines with all my paper route cash. I would've preferred Playboy, but I avidly read them all, cover to cover.

One result was that I could identify every car on the road or racetrack, could tell you what was under the hood, top speed, estimated HP, braking distances, option packages, etc. I studied all the racers, hotrods, everything. So when I see John Force flirting with 4 seconds today, I'm stunned with how sophisticated and refined all motorsports have become (and a d*mn sight safer too).

Pasted a link below to a 1965 Popular Mechanics article by my childhood hero Don Garlits explaining what it takes to win drag races, lots of 'em. Whether you were a race fan back then or not (maybe not even born yet), this is a totally cool read. I was impressed then, and now for other reasons, at Big Daddy's statement that it cost $60 every time he made a run. Imagine!

Anyhow, I loved going back and reading this again. Thanks for starting this thread that got me looking for it.

Starts on page 72.
Popular Mechanics - Google Books

That would be Don "the Snake" Prudhomme.

And Tom 'The Mongoose' McEwin

With some 'Big Daddy' Don Garlits around the pit somewhere

They say smells bring back memories best,and whenever I smell tires burning <it takes me back to Puyallup Raceway(gone) or Seattle International Raceway (Pacific Raceway now)
Sat in the stands ,right behind the start line,one time.My eyes were burning from the raw fuel barking out the straight pipes

I must say I'm a little jealous

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads