Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

HSM .45 load data

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by kev350, Aug 21, 2012.

1. kev350

kev350 Gresham , Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm looking for some where to find Load data for some HSM 230gr plated Hollow Points , using IMR 700-X. Any help or leads to good data would be great. Thanks

2. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

As per the IMR website i would guess 4.4 to 5.0grs (45acp) would be a good place to start. Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com The difference between jacked and cast is .1gr so as long as your not pushing the limits i would guess you would be fine. You could also contact the manufacture.
    Best of luck!

3. kev350

kev350 Gresham , Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hmm I must of missed that when I looked. Thanks I'll take a look.

4. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

5. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

I have an issue with those bullets that I have come across, the ogive of that particular bullet really starts halfway from the shoulder to the nose therefore its a very sharp arc. When loading this round for my 1911 Im able to seat at a standard COL but if Im going to run them in my USC (carbine) I have to seat them quite deep ( 1.175 ) because the rounds will jam at the feed ramp due to the dia. of the bullet at the point of contact. The problem with that is the decrease in volume within the cartridge which can produce higher pressures. Personally I have sworn off that bullet, the HSM 230gr RN work great but the HPs are a pain. Ive been using the Berrys 200gr HB RN lately and really like those, Same profile as 230gr RN but softer recoil and make for a great range round.